Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Permission Problem After Uninstalling a Rogue Program

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Scotty81

Scotty81

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:59 AM

Hello - I hope someone can help.

I believe I am having user permission issues, which is manifesting itself with 3 symptoms:
1. My Quick Launch icons are no longer visible on taskbar on my desktop, even though I can still see the shortcuts in Windows Explorer.
2. I can't run any programs from the shortcuts via the "normal way" in Start\Programs\... and then selecting the appropriate program to run. But, if I use Windows Explorer to navigate to the appropriate executable, such as Excel.exe, then the program launches.
3. Internet Explorer doesn't work. By that I mean that when I run iexplore.exe, the application opens, but the screen is blank, my homepage (google.com) doesn't load, and all buttons within the app don't work. I need to use Task Manager to shut down IE.

This all started when I downloaded a utility. The program didn't do what I thought it was supposed to, so I uninstalled it. Immediately after the uninstall was when my Quick Launch icons dissappeared.

I have read online (with another PC) that the reason I can run a program from within Windows Explorer, but not from Start\Programs, is because the folder and file permissions have been changed from their proper values. But, I have't found anything suitable that restores these to their proper values, if indeed that is the problem.

To date, I have done the following:
Run Microsoft Forefront scan - no issues
Run MalewareBytes AntiMalware - found a couple of very minor items, but removing these did not help
Rn Combofix - no issues found
Had another user at work log in with his profile, just in case that just my user profile was corrupt somehow. He had the same user issues that I had - even with his user profile.
Tried some misc Registry fixes, but that did not work.

I am running Windows XP SP3 and IE7.

I spoke to a 2nd Level Support person who said they had seen these issues twice before, and both times, the only thing that would work was to reload the machine. I will do this if I have to, but if anyone has any advice before I do this, I will defintely appreciate it.

Many thanks.
Scotty81

Edited by hamluis, 04 July 2012 - 11:17 AM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:05 AM

Assuming that you are correct in asserting the absence of malware...you could try resetting O/S permissions to default.

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/reset-the-registry-and-the-file-permissions-in-windows-xp/

Louis

#3 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:06 AM

Try a system restore to previous date before you installed the software.

#4 Scotty81

Scotty81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:18 AM

Hamluis and Narenxp,

Thanks for your quick replies. I neglected to say that among other attempts, I did restore my registry. I had just coincidentally backed it up a couple of days before this incident. That did not help. Additionally, I ran the secedit utility (long command string) aw well as the other utility you mentioned, but that did not work either, unfortunately.

Scotty81

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:17 AM

Well...I would question the premise that the system is no longer infected...and take appropriate steps to verify/refute the speculation.

I'll move this to the Am I Infected forum.

Louis

#6 Scotty81

Scotty81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:20 AM

Louis,

Thanks for your reply. I'll look to users in the "Am I Infected" Forum for any further advice.

Scotty

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users