Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing History?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 computer_newbie

computer_newbie

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 04 March 2006 - 07:00 PM

Hi. I am new to this site and still relatively ignorant of the workings of a computer (but learning!!), so if this is in the wrong forum or is a silly question, please bear with me.

This morning, I went under the history to find a page I was looking at yesterday, and I noticed that many of the sites I had visited yesterday were not listed. I browsed back several days and didn't see anything missing or unusual, so I am a bit concerned. Also, when I went to log onto several sites I visit often, I noticed all of my log in information (I had checked the 'remember me' boxes so I didn't have to type in my user name and passwords) had been cleared. Are these two things related? Have I been hacked or something? What could have happened?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2006 - 11:11 PM

What browser are you using?
Have you noticed this before, or is this something that just happened today?
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 computer_newbie

computer_newbie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2006 - 11:50 PM

I have never noticed this before, and only some of the history for that day is missing.

I use Internet Explorer.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 06 March 2006 - 12:50 PM

As far as your log in information not being saved, are you by any chance deleting your cookies before closing IE.
That's how sites "remember you", by a cookie stored on your computer.

You can set your browser up to save desirable, and not accept undesirable cookies.
IE / Tools / Internet Options / Privacy tab
Click the Advanced button.
Put a check in Override automatic cookie handling.
Under First-party Cookies, select Prompt.
Under Third-party Cookies, select Block.
Click the OK button.
Now click the Sites... button.
In the box, Address of Web site, type in the URL of the sites you want to allow, and click the Allow button.
Click OK, Apply, then OK.

This way, anytime a site wants to set a cookie, IE will prompt you, wanting to know if you want to allow their cookie, or not.
And when you go to your allowed sites, cookies will automatically be accepted.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 computer_newbie

computer_newbie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2006 - 02:17 PM

Thanks for the ideas.

I have not deleted cookies in a couple of weeks, and only some of my log ons were erased. That is why I am so confused.

Any other ideas?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users