Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Windows Defender: Shuts Down, Error 0x8050800f

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Stallcup_*

Guest_Stallcup_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 04 March 2006 - 06:59 PM

Twice now, when Windows Defender was to making a scheduled scan, I received an error message that said that Windows Defender had shut down, the error was 0x8050800f, I should check for available updates, I should restart my computer to start the service, or go to Microsoft Support for information. I checked my processes, and the system service for Windows Defender was running, and the GUI service was also running for both users logged on the computer. So rebooting, obviously, was not warranted. I manually checked for updates, using the down arrow next to help, and found that no new updates were available.

So far this has not happened when I am running a scan manually. In one of the two times it happened, one of my security programs was identified by Windows Defender as being "questionable," and asked me to approve it or remove it, and I approved it. I don't know if either of these were related to the shutdown, I am trying to provide as much information as I can.

Anyone else experiencing this problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2006 - 02:12 PM

Hi Stallcup
Can you tell me what Operating System you are running, i.e XP, 2000 etc...
Regards,
David

#3 Guest_Stallcup_*

Guest_Stallcup_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 March 2006 - 03:50 PM

Hi Stallcup
Can you tell me what Operating System you are running, i.e XP, 2000 etc...
Regards,
David

WinXP SP2

There are two users on the computer and we are using fast switching. I add this information because last evening a Windows Defender scheduled scan was run, and ended successfully in the user's profile from which it was scheduled, but the "program shutdown" notice, which is the subject of this thread, appeared in the 2nd user's profile (who was logged on at the time of the scan). Again, the subject spyware program came up as questionable in the 2nd user's profile, and I allowed it. However, today the subject program is still shown as "not classified" in the Software Explorer, Currently Running Programs category. The spyware program inserts a "run once" loader in the startup menu at log-off, and I am beginning to wonder if this somehow negates its previous status in Defender, and the process of classification starts all over again. If so, this still does not excuse the program shutdown we are experiencing.

#4 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 05 March 2006 - 04:20 PM

Hi again and thanks for the infomation.

I've spent a while looking around for a solution to this problem, and i think that the best i can do at the moment is to link you to microsoft newgroups to read up on some infomation. I try to make my replies as "from the heart" as possible but i'm afraid i'm going to link you this time. You can find the link here. It must be noted that Defender is in a beta version. This means that the product isn't finished yet and there are likely to be a number of errors. In my own opinion it is better until a product is fully released as you can trust it much better.

If you read a number of the topics in the link below you'll see that there aren't many answers - most people are suspecting this bug will be fixed after an update so be sure to look around and find when the next update/patch is released. Perhaps it is a good sign that lots of people have the same problem that you have, and it shows it's not your computer but the program.

Hope that helped somehow :thumbsup:

David

#5 Guest_Stallcup_*

Guest_Stallcup_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 March 2006 - 05:28 PM

Hi again and thanks for the infomation.

If you read a number of the topics in the link below you'll see that there aren't many answers - most people are suspecting this bug will be fixed after an update so be sure to look around and find when the next update/patch is released. Perhaps it is a good sign that lots of people have the same problem that you have, and it shows it's not your computer but the program.

Hope that helped somehow :thumbsup:

David

Thanks, I put the link in my favorites so I can keep tracking the progress. It's always nice to find out your not the Lone Ranger when a new problem pops-up. If I find a cause and/or resolution, I'll revive this thread to post the results immediately. I have a suspicion that it is related to fast switching/multiple users.

Again, thanks David.

#6 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2006 - 03:51 AM

Yes that's a good idea - i'm sure others with this problem will find it via a search engine so if you do get a solution please post it!
David

#7 blackdog1278

blackdog1278

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 08 March 2006 - 02:41 PM

hi guys i too am having same problem 0x8050800f and i was on my way to the ms newsgroups if u have a minute dig this. just recently a week or so all of a sudden i'm getting hit with error codes such as 0x80501001 then a failed status error 0x80508017 then the next day i get an application failed to initialize ox80070005. since then i went to ms windows safety center and did a full system scan an came up with 9 viruses and 101 infected files i was able to clean and fix just about all of it.this is how i looked then :thumbsup: and how i look now :flowers: anyway i'm glad to have found you all and ain't life grand? stallcup/d trojanator .....nice to meet you thanks for the info at least i kinda know what i'm up against thanx again steve da.dawgg :trumpet: p.s. also i was finally able to delete all of my temp files which for some reason just never could when i tryed. a whole bunch i mean big bunch of temp files. lol

#8 Guest_Stallcup_*

Guest_Stallcup_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 11 March 2006 - 04:24 PM

There are two users on the computer and we are using fast switching. I add this information because last evening a Windows Defender scheduled scan was run, and ended successfully in the user's profile from which it was scheduled, but the "program shutdown" notice, which is the subject of this thread, appeared in the 2nd user's profile (who was logged on at the time of the scan). Again, the subject spyware program came up as questionable in the 2nd user's profile, and I allowed it. However, today the subject program is still shown as "not classified" in the Software Explorer, Currently Running Programs category. The spyware program inserts a "run once" loader in the startup menu at log-off, and I am beginning to wonder if this somehow negates its previous status in Defender, and the process of classification starts all over again. If so, this still does not excuse the program shutdown we are experiencing.

1) Defender continues to question the program which inserts a "run once" value in the registry when you log off, no matter how many times you "allow." This requires you to "allow" it every time you boot up. To eliminate this inconvenience until future updates solves the problem, I have unchecked the "Notify when changes have been detected to software not yet classified."

2) With two users logged on, when scheduled scans are run from one user's profile, the scan is run successfully but the 0x8050800f error appears in the second user's profile. The scan, itself, does not seem to be affected, so maybe it is just shutting off a duplicate run in the second user's profile. We will have to wait for future updates to address this problem.

#9 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2006 - 04:56 PM

I think the best way to address these problems is to again understand that BETA versions of programs are always going to have various bugs. It's wise of you to not concern over the issues too much - understand that most likely there's nothing wrong with your computer. Thanks for keeping us updated on the situation and please continue. It will be interesting to find out what evolves after the updates become available.
David

#10 Guest_Stallcup_*

Guest_Stallcup_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 April 2006 - 01:21 PM

1) Defender continues to question the program which inserts a "run once" value in the registry when you log off, no matter how many times you "allow." This requires you to "allow" it every time you boot up. To eliminate this inconvenience until future updates solves the problem, I have unchecked the "Notify when changes have been detected to software not yet classified."

2) With two users logged on, when scheduled scans are run from one user's profile, the scan is run successfully but the 0x8050800f error appears in the second user's profile. The scan, itself, does not seem to be affected, so maybe it is just shutting off a duplicate run in the second user's profile. We will have to wait for future updates to address this problem.

I downloaded and installed Windows Defender Beta 2, and problem 1), above, continues to exist while problem 2), above, which was previously eliminated by subsequent updates of Beta 1, does not exist in Beta 2.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users