Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Won't boot normally, will in safe mode

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lespaul113

lespaul113

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:41 PM

Toshiba laptop hangs at pick user screen when booting normally. Tried creating new user acct, same result. Boots up in safe mode. Re-seated memory sticks, hard drive, no change. Tried updating drivers too. AV scan finds nothing. What could be going on? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:22 AM

Hi lespaul113,

What is the Toshiba's model number?

On the Advanced Boot Options menu page where Safe Mode is listed, I would first try, Last Known Good Configuration, then attempt to boot into normal Windows.

On the Advanced Boot Options menu, do you also have a Repair My Computer option?

Regards,
Brooks

#3 lespaul113

lespaul113
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:11 AM

Hi lespaul113,

What is the Toshiba's model number?

Satellite L645D-S4033
Model# PSKOQU-00Y004

On the Advanced Boot Options menu page where Safe Mode is listed, I would first try, Last Known Good Configuration, then attempt to boot into normal Windows.

Still hangs doing this.

On the Advanced Boot Options menu, do you also have a Repair My Computer option?

Don't see this option.

#4 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:58 AM

Hello,

1) Try running the System File Checker from Safe Mode:
  • Boot into Safe Mode.
  • Click on the "Orb" and type cmd into the search box, right mouse click on the cmd.exe at the top of the column, and select Run as administrator.
  • At the C:\Windows\System32 command prompt, type: sfc /scannow and press <Enter>. (Note the space after sfc)
  • When the scan completes it will report whether it found and fixed any integrity violations. If it did, run System File Checker again. It can take up to 3 runs for it to fix all that it can.
  • Type exit and press <Enter> to close the DOS box.
  • Restart the computer.
  • If lucky, the system will reboot into normal Windows. If not, proceed to 2).
2) Check the hard drive for errors:
  • Boot into Safe Mode.
  • Click on the "Orb" and type cmd into the search box, right mouse click on the cmd.exe at the top of the column, and select Run as administrator.
  • At the C:\Windows\System32 command prompt, type: chkdsk /R and press <Enter>. (Note the space after chkdsk)
  • Type Y to acknowledge that the drive is in use and to reschedule a disk check on next boot.
  • Type exit and press <Enter> to close the DOS box.
  • Restart the computer.
  • If lucky, the check disk will start after the Windows is starting screen. It will progress through 5 stages and could take some time to complete. This should not be interrupted.
  • When check disk completes, it will attempt to boot into normal Windows. It may or may not succeed.
Let us know.

Regards,
Brooks

#5 lespaul113

lespaul113
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:46 PM

System File Checker did not find anything, but after running chkdsk, I'm happy to report it seems to be working! I am able to log on normally now.
I wonder what happened? Anyway, thanks a lot for the assistance, you're very helpful.

#6 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:33 AM

It looks like the hard drive had some file corruption that check disk was able to resolve.

That's good news. :)

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users