Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 98 Crashing

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 04 March 2006 - 06:05 PM

Don't know what the problem is.

All I have installed on this computer is windows 98 SE and TeamSpeak Server. For some reason the computer boots up and about 5 minutes later I get a black screen with that little white bar (_) flashing in the top left corner (the one we have in MS Dos).

Need to get this server running ASAP so any help is appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldTimer

OldTimer

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 11,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 11 March 2006 - 04:07 PM

Hi Klinkaroo. A couple of questions.

Has the system ever ran correctly? If so, what happened just previously to the problem occuring now.

Is the monitor (or system) going into a power saving mode and shutting things down when they are not being used? If so, then those might have to be disabled.

Post back with a little more information.

Cheers.

OT
I do not respond to PM's requesting help. That's what the forums are here for. Please use them so that others may benefit from your questions and the responses you receive.
OldTimer

Posted Image

#3 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 11 March 2006 - 11:02 PM

Well the problem seems to be fixed. I thought it might be the video drivers so I went and installed that and someone reminded me about the sleeping things so I went and disabled the hard drive sleep mode and other things. Now all I do is turn off the monitor and everything seems to be running fine. The server I am running has been up for 5 days straight now.

BTW Should I reboot the computer and if so how often. I don't use it at all it just runs the server and I sometimes have to use internet explorer to get into the administration place to change a few little things...

#4 OldTimer

OldTimer

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 11,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 12 March 2006 - 01:47 PM

Hi Klinkaroo. Glad to hear that things are running better now. As far as rebooting, Win98 is not as stable as some of the newer operating systems and so it becomes unstable after a period of time. You can do some trial and error to see how long it will run before becoming non-responsive, or, as a rule of thumb, reboot it at least once a week. That's what I do with Win98 systems that need to run continuously and do not have any problems with any of them.

Cheers.

OT
I do not respond to PM's requesting help. That's what the forums are here for. Please use them so that others may benefit from your questions and the responses you receive.
OldTimer

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users