Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

check disc errors NTFS file can not open volume

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dsaurus

dsaurus

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:20 PM

Sony Vaio PCV-RS322, XP Home Ed. Version 2 (no CD refubished computer), Svc Pk 3, Pentium 4 CPU, 2.8 GHZ, 2,79GHZ, 512 RAM, 512 Cache, 15 GB C-Drive, 100 GB D-Drive. I used the hard disk recovery tool wizard to copy computer system (lots of floppies) when I first purchased the computer as it instructed me to when it first started up in 2004. Had 2011 Norton 360 installed and up to date, computer ran slow but ok, purchased Norton 2012 Internet Security and Utilities after installing nothing but problems. Utilities said it found 4800+ errors (registry and dll's mostly). I said yes to fix, after installing Internet Sec. it found no problems. Next morning while registering product, I got 2 warning messages 1. System Infected Trojan ZeroAccess Rootkit Activity 4 and 2. System Infected TidServ Activity 2. I was asked if I would like to remove them by Norton through a 3rd party, I said yes. Computer became very slow 5 min to start up, 10 min to connect (I have Charter cable connection - fast), annoying Earthlink Pop-up Blocker trying to install but can not (error) everytime I click the mouse or to try to open a site (still does) also it continually re-directs on web sites and web pages coming up on their own. Computer would only operate in safe mode but still had many of the problems. Norton support has tried System Restore, shutting off all apps not necessary with system config. Uploading Norton's Bootable Recovery Disk, GEAR ISO burn, removing Norton from computer, Unlocker software, moving files to D-drive and erasing files in C-drive also ran chkdsk found 10 or less errors and 1 dot on partition disk scan but it removed itself by the end if the scan. Computer ran in normal mode but still very slow then they re-installed Norton and computer would only run in safe mode again. I gave up after 1 1/2 weeks & many hours a day working with Norton. Then my computer would not start up in normal mode (kept attempting but never could) so I ran it in safe mode. I contacted Norton they removed their software and did a chkdsk on some of it (limited by read only mode) and found pages of errors but can not remove or open volume. Now it will start in normal mode in 1.5 min and internet in 2 min but with all the other problems listed previously and the screen will not awaken after going in standby. How do I remove the errors on the hard disk? I am unemployed, short on money and I need a computer to find work to support my family, I look forward to your advice on computer fixes/upgrades and security software.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,730 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:48 PM

Well...

If you have file system errors (NTFS), they may be capable of being repaired, they may not. If such file system errors cannot be repaired, you will have to do a clean install or restore-to-factory-defaults.

If you have hard drive problems, as distinguished from file system problems...or you have a hard drive which is creating file system problems...the first order of business should be to run the appropriate hard drive diagnostic to check the functional status of the drive.

I would start with trying to run the chkdsk /r command from within Windows. Start/Run...type chkdsk /r and hit Enter. Type Y in new screen and hit Enter. Reboot, the chkdsk /r command will execute before booting into Windows.

I also suggeest uninstalling any/all Symantec applications you currently have installed. See https://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/How-to-uninstall-NIS-2012-COMPLETELY/td-p/557156 .

The chkdsk /r command may take some time...do not interrupt it if it appears to have halted or the reflected progress moves back to previous percentage.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users