Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for a laptop for college use!

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Orange Milk

Orange Milk

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:34 PM

(I'm copying this post in from another forum where I've asked the same question.)

What is your budget?
$1000

What country will you be buying this in?
USA

What size notebook do you prefer?
Thin and Light (13 - 14-inch screen)
Mainstream (15 - 16-inch screen)

What brands do you like or dislike?
Dislike: Dell

Would you consider a refurbished laptop?
Maybe

What are the primary tasks you need this notebook for?
Web Surfing, Office and Productivity Software, Listening to Music, Computer Programming, Movie Streaming and Viewing, 3D CAD Design, Casual Gaming

I will only be doing light gaming (if that), but I still think a dedicated graphics card is important because I am going into an engineering-type field.. Of course, I may be wrong about needing something dedicated, so if I am let me know!

Where will you be using this laptop?
Will be used different places and Will stay on desk

How many hours of battery life do you need?
5+

Will you be buying online or in store?

Which OS do you prefer?
Windows 7

List the screen resolutions that interest you:
Standard Resolution (1366 x 768)
High Resolution (1600 x 900)

Do you prefer a glossy or matte screen?
Glossy or Matte is fine

Is the laptops design important to you?
Yes (I want something sturdy so that it can withstand 4+ years better)

Approximately what date will you be buying this laptop?
Around 07/14/2012

How long do you want this laptop to last?
4 years

How much storage capacity do you need?
500 GB

Are you interested in SSD for storage?
Maybe

Do you want a built-in optical drive, what type?
DVD Burner

------------------------

I also wish to have a number pad.. I will be carrying this laptop around with me to various places, mainly the library, but I heavily doubt that I'll use it for note taking (I've always liked using paper notebooks instead). Of course, I might still need to bring it with me if the class requires it. I also want something that has wireless N capabilities.. A laptop lock included wouldn't be a bad idea either.

I mainly want something that is fast, light, and has a good battery life; but not so much so that it cannot run some heavier programs that I may require to use on it (in other words, I don't want a netbook). Oh, and the cheaper, the better. Even though I have a stated budget, I would much rather spend $800 on something if it has everything I need on it.

Thank you guys in advance!

Edited by Orange Milk, 03 July 2012 - 05:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:25 AM

ASUS N56VZ-ES71 - This laptop should be able to meet all your needs easily and in my opinion it has a great value in it for under $1000.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 Orange Milk

Orange Milk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:24 PM

Hmm I appreciate the help but I read that the battery life is rather poor.. Besides, gaming is not really a concern for me; I just initially assumed that a dedicated graphics card would be beneficial for some of the heavier programs that I might be using. The graphics card doesn't need to be that great, I was just hoping for something that is not integrated.

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:37 PM

SAMSUNG NP700Z5A-S06US- The battery should approximately last 7.8 hours and has a decent gpu.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#5 Orange Milk

Orange Milk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2012 - 02:35 PM

Wow.. We might have a winner! The only bad thing I see about this laptop is that I cannot seem to find very many reviews.. But it's even lightweight, considering it's size! I just hope that it's durable. Does anyone else have any opinions on this laptop?

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:47 PM

I do see user reviews here for a similar Samsung here

Maybe that will help?

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#7 Orange Milk

Orange Milk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:15 PM

Thanks for the reviews! It seems that this laptop (or that one mentioned above, anyway,) is a hit-or-miss in regards to hardware quality.. Do you guys think that the S06US is still worth buying?

Edited by Orange Milk, 15 July 2012 - 09:16 PM.

#8 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2012 - 01:23 AM

For the price of it, hell yeah :thumbsup:

>Michael 

#9 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:44 AM

Part of the reliability problem as I see it is that people buy a ultralight or slim laptop and expect it to be as durable as a regular laptop. It won't be.

With everything that slim and lightweight I would expect that the laptop flexes more and that this leads to more hardware problems. Flexing can cause broken solder joints. If the screen flexes to much the possibility exists for a cracked screen. I recently had the bottom off of a ultra thin Toshiba. I had to replace the DC in Jack cable as it was intermittent. The battery could not be changed without opening the laptop. No swapping a spare battery if the old one runs down. The keyboard and touchpad are glued in with doublesided sticky tape and if removed need to be replaced. No DVD drive.

It was small, light, pretty and not for me.

I expect other brands to be the same. Small super thin battery etc.

I might buy such as laptop if I had to carry one all over all day long to save my shoulder, for that reason only.

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 16 July 2012 - 09:44 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#10 Orange Milk

Orange Milk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:24 PM

Thanks for the advice! I'll make sure to be careful when carrying it around (for I do want something that's lightweight).

Also, the day I'm back in town (today, as of posting this), it figures that the laptop is out of stock! Should I wait for it to come back in, or should I be looking at other laptops? I'm not sure how quick Newegg is in restocking their laptops..

Edited by Orange Milk, 18 July 2012 - 09:25 PM.

#11 Smith warnes

Smith warnes

• Banned Spammer
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:51 AM

I have been using HP Pavilion series for quite some time now.It is amazing and very light and portable.The Battery life is also Good.:)

#12 Orange Milk

Orange Milk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:04 PM

Ugh.. Now Newegg deactivated the SAMSUNG NP700Z5A-S06US. Guys, I really need your help, as I need to buy a laptop really soon now! Are there any other laptops that you know of that have similar specs to the one mentioned above?

EDIT: I've come across the ASUS B53S-XH51, do you guys have any particular thoughts on it? The only bad part is that there's is no keypad, but I can manage enough without it. Also, I don't know if I should spend the extra money to upgrade to 6GB.. I mean the computer I'm using now has 4, and that seems plenty to me, but I don't if the extra 2GB will be helpful for MATLAB and other stuff I'll need.

@Smith, thanks for the thoughts!

Edited by Orange Milk, 19 July 2012 - 08:34 PM.

#13 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:30 AM

Are you sure it's deactivated? I had a look and it still said there was stock.

>Michael 

#14 Orange Milk

Orange Milk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:38 PM

Well yesterday Newegg claimed that it was deactivated and may or may not be back in stock, but today it just says that it is out of stock. Plus, there's a bad review for it now, and Newegg seems to be the only place where I can (or could) order it from.. Does anyone have any thoughts on the ASUS model?

EDIT: I've stumbled upon another model, the HP ProBook 4530s B5N72UT. It only claims to have six hours of battery life, but it has a full keyboard.. Thoughts?

Edited by Orange Milk, 20 July 2012 - 04:47 PM.

#15 Orange Milk

Orange Milk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2012 - 01:12 PM

Bump.. Please guys hahaha

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users