Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ads Poping Up

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bordelons

bordelons

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 04 March 2006 - 04:54 PM

i have the same 5 or 6 ads popping up when i'm on my computer. the pop up blocker don't stop them , i can only stop them when i log off but they come back when i log on. there is nothing in my programs that shouldn't be there however i did have some zeno thing in there and a couple other ad programs that i never put in they just appered, i removed them but ever since i keep getting these half dozen or so popups. i really don't know anything about computers i am very new to these, so hope someone can make it a simple fix for me.....thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 vika

vika

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 06 March 2006 - 10:36 AM

You might have either a PROGRAM or a VIRUS installed on your computer that could be causing the parasite infection in your system.

Please try the instructions below, they might help you fixing your problem and the information below will give you directions to find the cause of the parasite infection.

Please MAKE SURE you have an updated anti-virus software running and re-scan your system.

Do you have any program that you do not use or that you cannot identify or freeware, shareware, or file-sharing programs (example: Screensavers Programs, Search Bars, Kazaa, Limewire, Morpheus, iMesh, etc.)? Most freeware, shareware, Free Screensavers, Search Bars and file-sharing programs have spyware built into their programs. One of the reasons you may still be getting popups is because you have these programs and need to uninstall/remove these programs from your computer.

It is also a must to clean up your browser every time after removing parasites using anti-spyware program from the recommended anti-spyware list.

To Clean up you browser, if you use Internet Explorer, click the tools menu, and then click the internet options menu item. Change the homepage to whatever you want the default page to be (ie www.google.com). Click delete cookies, delete [cache] files, and delete history. Click apply. You may also want to increase the security settings on your browser to block potential spyware and adware as you browse the internet. Click the Security tab, and customize the settings so that it prompts you before saving files and installing programs to your computer. You don't have to disable them, or change them all, but I recommend you set all ActiveX type things at least to prompts, since ActiveX tends to take the most liberties if you enable it. With a high security setting on your browser, you may lose the functionality of some sites, so it is recommend that you adjust it to suit your needs.

Also, it's a must to go into your control panel, select add/remove programs, and uninstall any programs that you don't recognize or don't use. You may have to go into safe mode to delete some of these.

Even with all this, I recommend running your anti-spyware program at least once a month to ensure that your computer is clean of spyware and addware. If you don't want to remove any file sharing programs or change your browser setting, I recommend running anti-spyware more often, say every time you start the computer.

If you go to the same web pages every day and those are infecting your computer with Spywares/Parasites, you will need either to run your anti-spyware software every day or change your browsing habits.

Also remember that there is not such thing as a free product. If you download a free product onto your machine you are going to pay for it somehow and usually you'll get massive annoying advertisement or you'll have your machine damaged for a program that was not fully tested.

Hope that this was helpful... :thumbsup:

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 06 March 2006 - 01:25 PM

Also remember that there is not such thing as a free product. If you download a free product onto your machine you are going to pay for it somehow and usually you'll get massive annoying advertisement or you'll have your machine damaged for a program that was not fully tested.

I would definitely take exception with that statement.
What about:
aČ free
ewido security suite
Ad-Aware
Spybot S&D
Spywareblaster
SpywareGuard

All free programs that perform as advertised, with no worries about bad programing, or infecting your machine with malicious programs.
This is just an example, as there are many more here, Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps, which have been tested, as safe, by our membership.

In the future, I'd be a bit cautious about making such a blanket statement.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users