Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to fix from BOOTMGR is missing

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Better1

Better1

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:45 PM

Please help! I believe my ex sabotaged my computer. Now when I start up, the only thing I get is a black screen and this message:
"BOOTMGR is missing
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

I've put in the install disk and it does nothing. I'm unemployed and soon to be homeless. I desparately need my computer to keep looking for a job. Any advice or assitance is greatly appreciated.

I have a toshiba laptop that was working on Windows XP that I got through an email program with ex employer. Am trying to reinstall with landlord's XP disk for HP.

Best regards,
Heather

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:59 AM

BOOTMGR is missing

That is not a Windows XP error message, but is likely either Vista or Windows 7.

What Windows operating system is currently installed on the system, and giving that error message?
  • Are you absolutely sure it has/had XP on it?

... toshiba laptop ... Windows XP ... Am trying to reinstall with landlord's XP disk for HP.

I don't think it possible to accomplish that successfully.

Edited by AustrAlien, 03 July 2012 - 03:00 AM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#3 Better1

Better1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:36 PM

No, now that you mention it, I'm not positive. It could well have Windows 7 on it. Pretty sure its not Vista. I'm absolutely clueless when it comes to computers in general. My apologies for not thinking this part through!
Any suggestions? I'm dead in the water

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:09 PM

<<I have a toshiba laptop that was working on Windows XP that I got through an email program with ex employer. Am trying to reinstall with landlord's XP disk for HP.>>

Very unlikely to work. HP disks...are made for a particular HP system, cannot even be used universally on all HP systems...let alone a Toshiba.

Louis

#5 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:23 PM

This is what we have so far:

... when I start up, the only thing I get is a black screen and this message:

BOOTMGR is missing

I have a toshiba laptop ...

The message:

BOOTMGR is missing

indicates that the Windows operating system is likely either Vista or Windows 7.
======================================

It may be useful, if you start by having a look at the following link to read some general info on the problem:
How To Fix BOOTMGR is Missing Errors :A Troubleshooting Guide for BOOTMGR Errors in Windows 7 and Vista

FIRSTLY, DO THIS ...

Check your optical drives, USB ports, and floppy drives for media. Often times, the "BOOTMGR is Missing" error will appear if your PC is trying to boot to a non-bootable disc, external drive, or floppy disk.

If you have a card reader, check to ensure there is no card in that, and disconnect/remove any and all connected external devices.

If you have found and removed a device, or something in a device, test to see whether removing it has had any effect. Attempt to start the laptop:
  • What happens?

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users