Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Viewing files on a external XP hardrive

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Bill175

Bill175

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:57 PM

Hi all,
This is a weird one, so I hope I started this in the right forum!

My XP machine HD started to fail and after numerous tries to fix it, I purchased a new Windows 7 machine. I took the internal HD out of the Xp machine and put it in a docking station to USB and it shows up as Drive K on the windows 7 machine. I wanted to drag and drop some files from it, but can't find most of them!

What is odd, is most files aren't showing - no music files, no doc files - the drive seems to be working/reading ok. I also noticed there are no individual user accounts. I've turned on "show all hidden files" and I"ve given ownership of the whole K drive and folders to everyone and my username, but no files show. The drive shows it is almost full, so SOMETHING is on there.

Anyone know how to get to the files from Windows 7?
Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:33 PM

My XP machine HD started to fail

This could be the problem as to what extent the hard drive is still usable from the XP computer since you have not mentioned what happened to the previous OS.

Tekken

#3 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:36 PM

Try using FreeCommander to view the files.
http://www.freecommander.com/fc_downl_en.htm

#4 Bill175

Bill175
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:11 AM

Hello - thanks for the replies!

Tried that program, and it shows the drive just like Windows 7 does, but no files inside the folders - but if I right click the drive (k), and view properites, it shows it has over 84,000 files in over 9,000 folders. The drive I removed from my old XP machine seems to be working fine - it was windows that got corrupted after a major thunderstorm, and I went through various repairs to windows and it couldn't repair it, so I didn't do a format and want to save the files to my new Windows 7 machine - I feel that the files are on this disk - I just can't "see them" in Windows 7! Anyone got any ideas? Is it a permissions issue? Is XP so different that Windows 7 is incapable of seeing the files now?
Thanks!

#5 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:41 PM

Bill,

Not really my area of expertise, but could possibly be a corrupted file system.

See if there's anything in these links that might help:

http://geekyprojects.com/storage/how-to-recover-data-from-a-broken-hard-drive/
http://geekyprojects.com/data-recovery-2/best-data-recovery-software-top-10-list/
http://geekyprojects.com/storage/how-to-recover-data-even-when-hard-drive-is-damaged/

#6 everready

everready

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:10 PM

Hello Bill175,

In order to copy files from a HDD from another system, you must take ownership and get full control access permissions for your user account or group for each of the file/folders you want to copy over. Additionally, I suspect that the files/folders you want to copy could have the hidden attribute active.

How to Take Ownership and Gain Full Control Permissions in Windows from My Digital Life has a very good write up. Shows you how to get control of the files through Windows, command prompt, or with a script.

Once you have ownership and full control, if you still can't see the files/folders you want then try the attrib command at an elevated command prompt to view and change the hidden attribute of the K drive Documents and Settings folder. Attrib command has an /s switch for processing files in current folder and subfolders, and /d switch that processes folders well. Try something like attrib -h K:\"documents and settings"\*.* /d /s

Hope this helps

#7 Bill175

Bill175
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:31 PM

That's exactly what it was! Permissions! Thank you very much!

#8 everready

everready

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:15 PM

Hi,

Glad to be of help.

Was the files/folders still hidden after getting full control?

Which method did you use from the My Digital Life Site?

Info could help others as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users