Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Asus: Drive partitions, Windows Backup, & AI Recovery Burner

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mmmartie

mmmartie

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:25 PM

I just bought a new Asus N53SN laptop and I've been customizing it, installingmy software and moving files over from my ancient Dell Inspiron laptop. I've been used to using Dells (I've had 3), so this Asus has me confused in a few areas.

1. I ran the AI Recovery Burner when it suggested I do so and I have the 4 recovery discs. So that hides the backup partition. The discs, if used), restore the computer to factory settings. Now I can't use the Windows Backup to backup my files to the recovery partition because it says "Recovery (R:) Disconected. Backup size unavailable." I know, ideally you're supposed to backup to an external hard drive, but I don't have one at the moment. I don't mind occasionally backing up to DVDs, but I'm not going to do that all the time because that's expensive too. But the fact is, I can't even use Windows backup to back up my files to anywhere because it is disabled.

When I asked Asus support why the AI Recovery disables the Windows backup, they told me it may be a problem with the operating system and I should reset to factory settings via F9 when starting. That wasn't a very helpful answer.

Should I uninstall AI Recovery Burner and just go with Windows backup? I was able to set a System Restore point. If I uninstall the AI Recovery Burner, will the 4 discs I made still work if I need them?

2. Hard drive space. I'm supposed to have 750 GB of space. My C: drive has 293 GB and the D: (Data) drive has 380 GB, so I guess that leaves 77 GB for the hidden R: (Recovery) drive. I don't understand why I have two partitions. I wanted more storage for all of my software (I'm a virtual assistant). I keep most of my work files on a USB that is connected to Dropbox, so those files are safe and accessible from anywhere. My personal files (photos, music, videos) get saved in the alloted directories, which are on the C: drive. My software all gets installed on the C: drive. So what the heck am I supposed to do with the 380 GB of storage in the D: drive? I need that in the C: drive. Or should I be changing the install route of my software to D:? Or should I be reconfiguring backups to D:?

At this point, I don't want to go messing around with things too much because I've spent a lot of time getting this laptop set up to work on and I don't have time to start over. Any suggestions please and thank you? LOL

Thanks,
Lisa

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:52 PM

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/resize-a-partition-for-free-in-windows-vista/

Resize a Partition for Free in Windows 7 or Vista

Windows 7 and Vista include a built-in functionality in Disk Management to shrink and expand partitions. No more 3rd party utilities needed!

To get to this utility, open up Control Panel, and type in partition into the search box.. you’ll immediately see the link show up:

Maybe this will do what you want. Shrink the D: and expand the c:

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 mmmartie

mmmartie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 21 July 2012 - 06:38 PM

Thanks for the suggestion! I will probably try that.

I would still be interested in knowing what to do about the AI Recovery Burner issue and Windows not letting me back up, if anyone has dealt with this before?

Thanks,
Lisa

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 22 July 2012 - 08:02 AM

Always backup before playing with the partitions of the drive, just in case.

I suspect that the Windows backup would work with a external drive. A Backup to the same physical drive which is what you are trying to do is not really useful.
One of the reasons for a backup is to protect you against the disk drive going bad or a destructive virus.

A Backup should be to a different destination. I do mine to BluRay or DVD and an External Drive.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users