Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I need HELP!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 streim

streim

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 02 July 2012 - 02:58 PM

I'm a first time poster. I honestly do not know what to do or what may be the problem. :wacko: For some reason my PC's CPU is always running and it appears to be downloading something onto my PC. I gave Windows XP SP3, using Avast Internet Security (current ), I tried fixing whatever is happening--- to no avail.
I have Malwarebytes, CCleaner, AdBlockPlus, NoScript and all are current.
My system was custom built.

If you need more info please let me know. I know this request probably sounds strange, :huh: however, I have no clue what's happening. All I know is it started with the current program release of Avast. But, then 2 days ago--out of no where my Microsoft Updates tells me I have 21 updates to download and install...???? :o

Thank you in advance for any assistance you could provide.

Streim

In the world we live in "Apathy is the acceptance of the unacceptable"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 02 July 2012 - 03:14 PM

What do you mean the cpu is always running? The cpu HAS to be running. And what do you mean it seems to be downloading something? Please explain EXACTLY what is going on IN DETAIL. Also, please stop with the emoticons. Thanks.

#3 streim

streim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:42 PM

Sorry about the emoticons. I know the CPU must always be running. After reading a few other people with Windows XP issues, I downloaded the Microsoft Fix It Tool and it found that I had an issue with my updates. It cleared the issues, plus I was told to get the PC Registry Mechanic tool off my PC. I was told my a comp tech to purchase the Registry Mechanic. I guess my computer challenges are more than I expected.
I am an elderly shut in who listens to who I think knows best, thus I have had many issues. I am sorry.

Thank you for at least looking at my issue. I still have no better to explain it other than the red light on tower is always running. This IS something very new to me.

In the world we live in "Apathy is the acceptance of the unacceptable"

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:00 AM

Hi -
There is no need for you to be sorry, it is the comp tech that sold you Registry Mechanic that should be sorry.
These programs cause more problems than they are meant to repair, and at times will lead to disasters on the computer -

If you should in my opinion, go to Control Panel > Click ADD / Remove Programs > Try to find Registry Mechanic, Click it Once and then click at the Right side > Remove - Agree to any removal options and procede with full removal -
This registry program may be the one that is constantly running in the background, and fighting with your Antivirus program.

>>"But, then 2 days ago--out of no where my Microsoft Updates tells me I have 21 updates to download and install"<<
Do you know how often your Microsoft updates are set to download ?
If you have not installed any Updates from M/soft for a month or 2, or had your system reinstalled, there may be 21 updates waiting to be installed, but also be carefull how you do this. Open Windows Update (usually at the top of the Programs "Tree") - Allow the program to check for updates, but only select EXPRESS and not CUSTOM updates. If you open any Custom updates you can click to ignore these, and only accept what you want.
You will not usually require any Custom updates, as these include MSE antivirus and sometimes other items not needed by all people -

Please post back if you need more information -

Regards -

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:35 AM

Okay, if I understand correctly everything is good now? If so, that's great. If not, or if you need input at some point in the future please feel free....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users