Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Something is taking over XP, saying isufficient resources

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 jb2012

jb2012

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:11 PM

First, thank you to anyone on the board who can help me with this. I am running home XP on an HP desktop and have not had any issues for a long time with viruses, malware, etc. etc. I use AVAST and also run Malwarebytes regularly. A number of years ago, I had a virus and the great techs here helped me through that. Since then, my pc has been clean.

Yesterday, I got an error message while I was simply browsing a site (normal site, not suspious). The message was "DWWIN.exe application failed to initiate properly". The PC then basically started to "die"- anytime I tried to open an application, I received the message "application or DLL C:'properties\mozillafirefox\xul.dll is not a valid windows image. Please check against your installation disk". That is just an example of what happened when I tried to reopen firefox. If I tried to open say, microsoft word, I got a similar message that a dll file was not valid or that there was not enough system resources (I do have sufficient hard disk space so that is not the issue).

Since yesterday I did not have access to another computer to get on this board, I decided to try to run Malwarebytes (which came back clean). I also scanned with avast, which came back clean. Since I had experience running combofix for my other problem years ago, I tried to run it to see if it would help. It went through all the stages and then stalled saying "insufficient resources". It just sat there for a very long time and did not respond, so I eventually rebooted and then used the computer normally for several hours last night and all day today. Everything seemed fine until a few mintues ago, when the same issue popped up. This time, it was not DWWin.exe, but I am simply getting error messages that applications fail to initiate, etc.

The only thing that I have installed recently is just the normal AVAST update (received an AVAST message that I needed to update). That update proceeded normally a couple of days ago with no apparent issues. The other issue I noticed is that I tried to save a file and got a message saying that I needed permission from the administrator (no adminstrator but me). So unclear what has taken over my system.

Now that I have access to another laptop and can access this board while my desktop is having problems, I am more than happy to let one of you take control. Any help is greatly appreciated.

PS, I have noticed that my start button does not have the word "start" anymore and many of my icons have lost their color, etc. This makes me think something has definitely taken over.

Edited by hamluis, 02 July 2012 - 01:34 PM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,378 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:31 PM

Dwwin.exe is a part of the Microsoft Doctor Watson error reporting tool which comes packaged with some Microsoft products.

Can you follow the directions at Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 ?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 02 July 2012 - 01:32 PM.

#3 jb2012

jb2012
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:33 PM

I did read that about Dr. Watson. I was not sure if something had taken over and manifested itself that way or whether this was a legitimate conflict somewhere in my system. I just saw the "I am infected forum"- not sure what I am dealing with and wasn't sure if I should have posted this there. Any help is appreciated.

#4 jb2012

jb2012
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:44 PM

Here you go:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/sb105uBPRYOOkQtfDvZWRpg

#5 jb2012

jb2012
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:02 PM

One additional item I have noted through out the day- when this happened again, I rebooted, and it has worked fine, until a few minutes ago. As soon as I saw the PC start to act "strange", I went to the task manager and killed an svchost process. That seemed to stop it for now, but not sure what is causing this.

#6 murmureddream

murmureddream

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:12 AM

I'm having the exact same issue JB. Upon startup, I can run everything fine (like now). Last night I was even playing an online game for a good 2 hrs. But then I go to another site and a video ad won't load saying my Adobe plugin crashed... and then everything else locks up. I took the time to write out a few of the random messages I got upon clicking various tasks:

"taskmgr.exe Failed to initialize properly. Click OK to terminate application." -Has also happened with firefox.exe
"C:\blah\blah\HitmanPro Paging file is too small for this operation to complete."
"ipoint.exe An exception unknown software exception (0xe06d7363) occurred in the application at location 0x7c812afb" -This one pops up on its own and I've also gotten this message with nmctxth.exe listed.
"MalwareBytes Run-time error '48' File not Found"

Usually the first to occur is the Adobe plugin crash or I get the ipoint.exe one. And I also get the visual quirk with the graphics either with black borders or I can see my desktop wallpaper thru the window. Start menu icon disappears too. I've run HitmanPro, Avast in Boot-time and regularly, and SuperAntivirus. All come back with nothing except Avast told me 2 files it couldn't scan. This one has me scratching my head..

#7 jb2012

jb2012
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:50 PM

This is not my issue. My issue is similar in that the PC works for awhile. However, what generally happens is I click the start button, for instance, and the letters "start" disappear. Many of the icons on the start menu either are not colored or they disappear. Then if I open windows explorer, items disappear reandomly and windows explorer becomes unresponsive. Then any program I open generally becomes unresponsive and returns a "not enough resources" error or dll error of some sort. It cascades in that manner such that nothing will work. At that point I am forced to reboot and then all is good- until it decides to happen all over again.

#8 eohrnberger

eohrnberger

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:04 PM

Oddest thing.

I've been recommending Avast to friends and family for a number of years now, and have never had a complaint about it.

Recently a friend of mine called with what appeared to be some sort of viral infection issue on his XP pro machine. When the Windows file explorer has missing information in it's list of files, and other pieces of the Windows user interface go missing, it's either resources, which is really old school like Windows 95 or so, or an infection. I have to admit that I was surprised that this got past Avast, as usually it's good protection against this sort of thing.

On the phone I walked him through restoring to a previous system save state, and that seemed to cure his issue.

Within 24 hours my main XP machine started to do the same thing. Not only in the Windows explorer, but also in the task manager, and every other part of the Windows UI. Only way to proceed beyond this was to reboot the machine.

On my machine, I get about 4 hours of useful work done before it comes back, and rebooting seems to be the only way to clear it.

Fearing an infection, I downloaded both Malware Bytes and ComboFix, ran then both multiple times, hoping to clear whatever nastiness got into the system. Scanning the ComboxFix log file, I didn't notice anything that jumped out at me as the source of the issue, but I have to admit that I am new to reading ComboFix's log files.

One thing that I noticed was that the XP version number on the desktop was higher on the desktop than normal. I also noticed that if I toggled the Task Bar auto-hide behavior that it moved back down to where it should be.

Remembering that there were special related features for the nVidia driver and utilities specific to this, I downloaded and installed the latest and greatest driver for the video card direct from the nVidia web site. I also downloaded and installed fresh downloaded copy of latest and greatest Avast, version 7.

After all this, and an additional ComboFix scan and reboot, I'm not sure if I have a stable and clean system.

Along the way, Malware Bytes appears to have stopped working, and if I try to enable the protection module, I get an error dialog with

"An error has occurred. Please report this issue to our support team (including the content of all error message(s) and code(s) in your submission). PROGRAM_ERROR_PROTECTION_MODULE (2,0,ProtectionEnable) The system cannot find the file specified"

Hmm. That may be related to the most recent Avast being installed and conflicting, I'm thinking.

Before Malware Bytes stopped working, I did notice that it was stopping IP traffic. Specifically:

IP-BLOCK 80.91.191.101 (Type: outgoing)

Does anyone have any idea which virus vector this site might be related to?

Next thing I knew, another system, a rarely used laptop started with the same behaviors. At present I just rebooted that one and was taking a wait and see approach. The common thread between all these 3 systems was that they were running Avast and had both auto update for signatures and program enabled.

Noticing this, I wonder if there was a bad download release of the Avast program update or signatures update that could be the cause of this problem. So I started to Google 'Avast update problems xp' and this thread came up.

I registered and am I'm posting here in the hopes that the following symptomlogy and description would help anyone further diagnose the source of this issue. Anybody have any additional ideas?

#9 myun

myun

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:47 PM

The same exact thing is happening to my XP computer with Avast. Since yesterday I've had this memory problem. I had downloaded the Avast program update yesterday too, so I was wondering if this had something to do with it. I'm wondering where to go from here now.

Edited by myun, 03 July 2012 - 08:01 PM.

#10 eohrnberger

eohrnberger

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:16 PM

Well, I re-installed Avast from the free download version 7, and the system has been up and stable since 2:28 PM today. It may be related. Let you know what I find out.

#11 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,898 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:31 PM

Hello, I would say the first thing is to uninstall avast,reboot and reinstall it. Then see how it is.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#12 eohrnberger

eohrnberger

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:57 AM

Hello, I would say the first thing is to uninstall avast,reboot and reinstall it. Then see how it is.

Good advice. Did an AVASTClean to flush out every last little bit of any remainders, and a clean install with Avast 7 installation I downloaded. Now I just have to figure out where to put my free license key. For now, I'm not going to update the engine and leaving it at v7.0.1451. I have a feel that this update was what started this mess.

Any more problems, and I'm inclined to dump Avast for something else. I don't need these headaches.

Edited by eohrnberger, 04 July 2012 - 08:58 AM.

#13 songbird70ca

songbird70ca

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:39 AM

I hope that is the problem. I've not been able to work on my computer at work and I have a funeral service to complete!

#14 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,898 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2012 - 02:53 PM

Hello I am unsure what this means.

Now I just have to figure out where to put my free license key.

You are running avast free version and reqire a key?

Another AV free option is Avira Antivir. I have used it for years.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#15 jb2012

jb2012
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:24 PM

Well, I know alot of the techies on this board were tied up with the holiday. Since I desperately needed the PC for a work issue and no one had responded, I experimented with a combination of Rkill, Superantispyware and MBAM. After running Rkill, MBAM was finally able to find the virus that was let through. This "heuristic reserved word exploit" virus attacked winlogon.exe. I posted this over at the AVAST board as well. Once it was cleaned, I rebooted, rescanned using MBAM and superantispyware and all appears to be good. The PC has been running fine for over 24 hours now. I also downloaded the most recent AVAST update. I am very concerned that avast let this through, and I may in fact change antivirus products. However, at this point, I don't want to do anything else for awhile until I see if this is truly fixed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users