Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disturbing Ads...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 04 March 2006 - 02:51 PM

The last couple of times i've signed onto BC, i've gotten some odd ads....

One is a pop-up talking about something to do with Pay-pal, and the other one..... well, see for yourself:

Posted Image

So, what's up with these ads, especially the second one?

Edited by Heretic Monkey, 04 March 2006 - 02:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rms4evr

rms4evr

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2006 - 05:06 PM

*shudders*

Eew...*shudders again*

I don't know if BC has any control over that...those are Google ads, and if I'm not mistaken, Google ads randomly generate...but I could be wrong. I hope I am, because I do not want to see that...*shudders once more*

#3 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 04 March 2006 - 05:37 PM

Thank you for pointing that out. I have google ads blocked so I don't see those. Google ads are supposed to be generated based on the content of the web page within which they appear (in general).

I can't see what content in the thread would have generated that though... maybe I better wipe my specs and look again.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,416 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2006 - 07:47 PM

probably that naked cow :thumbsup: sorry couldn't resist
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,614 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2006 - 09:31 PM

No i can filter that. Next time you see an inappropriate ad, you should right click on the link, click on copy link and pm it to me so I can filter it out and report it to google. I dont believe google allows those types of ads.

Now you say you received a popup? There should be absolutely no popup ads...what exactly did the popup about paypal say?

#6 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2006 - 01:55 AM

Unfortunately i didn't stop and think about taking a screenshot of it..... i just did what comes naturally to pop-up ads... lol

If it happens again, i'll be sure to snag a cap

#7 rms4evr

rms4evr

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2006 - 10:26 PM

No i can filter that. Next time you see an inappropriate ad, you should right click on the link, click on copy link and pm it to me so I can filter it out and report it to google. I dont believe google allows those types of ads.

So those things can be filtered? Exxx-celent *insert image of me tapping fingers together Monty-Burns like* :thumbsup:

If I see an add like that, I'll be sure to report it. I love being on a site with high standards!!! :flowers:

#8 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 05 March 2006 - 10:45 PM

No i can filter that.

That's nice to know. For all the complaining that I have heard about Google ads, I sort of assumed that sites didn't really have much control over what the Google advertisements displayed.

#9 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 06 March 2006 - 01:58 AM

I was wondering if the "Speakeasy" had something to do with it.
A potential google tie in.

Prohibition and all.
1920's.
Flapper girls.
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#10 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,614 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2006 - 07:29 AM

For all the complaining that I have heard about Google ads, I sort of assumed that sites didn't really have much control over what the Google advertisements displayed.

NO most site owners just dont care so use the excuse theyu cant do anything. There is a limit to how many urls I can filter but I have not reached that. Id be surpriosed if we saw that ad again, though, as google does not allow ads like htat. It must have beensnuck through.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users