Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update Problem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 yabbadoo

yabbadoo

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:17 AM

Mod Edit: Split from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic457696.html/page__st__15 - Hamluis.

Windows Updates Will Download But Not Install ?? Well what a surprise. It seems that this problem is affecting the whole world, it certainly has me. I have in common with the entire planet been trying to update the keyboard security patch KB2686509 for yonks and it fails every time. The web is full of fixes that vary from an MSc complex solution of playing with scripts etc. and most likely wrecking your machine to simple Hotfixes which do not work either. Microsoft is impervious to this curse on the planet which they are well aware of and have not yet offered a solution to their KB2686509 cock-up.

I have used the Microsoft FIXIT to examine my update system and it came up with 10/10 no problems. But still the update for KB2686509 plods on completely immune to anything that. So this pest is sitting on my PC and presumably stopping any further updates. I have tried to delete this update icon, but MS have decided that having planted a load of crap on my machine, then it stays put.

I have repeatedly tried to access the Microsoft Windows update site, the site comes up, but a panel shoots in front saying that an update needs attention ( presumably that damned KB2686509 ). Every time I click Install, Not install or the "X" it goes onto permanent Not Responding, I crash it and there goes another historic crap out. So this MS curse is stuck on my computer like a Bot-Fly maggot.

Screen shot :-
Posted Image

Seeing that the entire world is having trouble with this Microsoft/Windows updating, can anybody possibly come up with an answer that we can all use and get rid of this MS plague for ever ?

I had great hopes that http://www.vivus.net/dl/ would fix it, but NO it does not work.

PS - I use Windows XP Home and SP3. The annoying thing is that I use Sandboxie to access the Internet and do not give a toot for Windows security patches. Once I am on the Internet, Sandboxie takes over and security is as near to 100% as you can get it.

Edited by yabbadoo, 02 July 2012 - 06:09 AM.
PM sent new OP - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:18 PM

Hi -
First please note that Microsoft uses ActiveX to help download / install many items including updates. Accept (Install) the ActiveX when offered from M/soft -
Here are a couple of options, all from M/soft - Please try them in the order as listed -
Numbers 2 and 3 are FixIt items from M/soft -

1. http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_start/i-see-that-there-are-fixes-to-kb2686509-security/8693a47f-cdf4-49e6-b254-c43a953dc4d9?tab=MoreHelp
2. http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9812279
3. http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9812280

Thank You -
EDIT - "Windows Updates Will Download But Not Install ??" Also these (KB2686509) are from May updates and are not current -
If these Updates are listed as Custom, please ignore them and only use and install Express Updates

Edited by noknojon, 02 July 2012 - 05:27 PM.

#3 yabbadoo

yabbadoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:28 AM

Hi -
First please note that Microsoft uses ActiveX to help download / install many items including updates. Accept (Install) the ActiveX when offered from M/soft -
Here are a couple of options, all from M/soft - Please try them in the order as listed -
Numbers 2 and 3 are FixIt items from M/soft -

1. http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_start/i-see-that-there-are-fixes-to-kb2686509-security/8693a47f-cdf4-49e6-b254-c43a953dc4d9?tab=MoreHelp
2. http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9812279
3. http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9812280

Thank You -
EDIT - "Windows Updates Will Download But Not Install ??" Also these (KB2686509) are from May updates and are not current -
If these Updates are listed as Custom, please ignore them and only use and install Express Updates

Thank you for your help.
I looked at the listing, Item 1 is a No-No, too complicated related to the update sicker, not worth the trying. Items 2 & 3 are Fixits, I tried both, one did not like my PC and the other seemed to finish, but I have not a clue if it it made any difference.

I tried a MS FixIt that did a good job of checking my PC and it came up clean as I explained. So from now on I consider that my PC is OK and any of these faults are due to other external causes.

My main concern at present is that when I click the update checker on my Windows security panel and IE comes up with it`s annoying panels, I cannot get rid of them whatever I do, IE goes onto Not responding and stays there for ever. I have to crash it. IE normally works OK, it is just MS`s infernal update site that freezes up. I have reinstalled IE8 TWICE but it has made no difference.

I hope somebody comes up with a piece of genius on this, but until they do my stance is that this trouble is a MS problem and not mine. I would love to know the answer, but am not prepared to engage in DIY script gymnastics. Any solution must be authentic and simple.

As I have said a few times, I am not on my own on this matter, half the world is in the same boat. It rather looks as if we all have to suffer this plague until MS pull their finger out and do a little customer support help.

At the time of writing this post, failed update KB2686509 has gone to ground - nowhere in sight, but like general MacArthur - IT WILL RETURN ! I just cannot wait.

Edited by yabbadoo, 03 July 2012 - 11:29 AM.

#4 yabbadoo

yabbadoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:43 AM

My latest experience of this Windows/Microsoft updating agony is not getting any better.

I have spent hours browsing the web and it appears that half the world`s users are in trouble with updating their PC`s manually because the MS website is about as useful as a car with 3 wheels.

There are so many complaints and cries for help that it is a miracle that any Windows get`s updated at all. Excluding the Kindergarten essentials of elementary checks and enabling this or that, it still leaves a lot of users who cannot solve the problem and many of these are very experienced computer geeks.

So it all comes down to a Microsoft mess-up where they cannot get their software correct and completely ignore the avalanche of complaints made by the world at large. So we all suffer while MS plod on playing with their counting beads.

My latest experience with MS is that I opened IE8 with all add-ons disabled, clicked the update highlight and to my shame the site told me that I need to install their precious Activex before I can use this Update site. Well, I am a good guy, kind to animals etc. so I tried to oblige. Instead of creating a highlight that I could click and obtain this miraculous piece of software, they decided in their infinite wisdom to do it by asking me to click their ingenious "Information Bar".

No problem, I did pass my Junior school exams, so i went for it. BUT where is this sacred "Information Bar". It simply is not there ! Marvellous and I am not the only user that has found this out, there are many others on the web who have been blown out of their minds with this amazing discovery.

I show a screen shot of this MS instruction to nowhere to prove that is is not the Jack Daniels that is the culprit.

I would just love some geek to come along and put the skids under Microsoft and get all us users into a world of sanity, so that our Windows can be updated without us having to make a career of it. Quiet honestly, if it was not for Windows updating and my having to rely on IE, I would treat Microsoft and their IE8 as a bad memory, rather like treading in some dog residue in the local park.

I use Firefox and have no such childish problems.

Here is the immortal screen shot :- I have not found an answer to this missing "Information Bar" problem in all my web searches.
My panel does not have the "Get activex" because the Information Bar is missing.

Attached File  Windows update screen IE8.JPG   149.19KB   5 downloads

#5 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:13 PM

the information bar is opened and need attention on the manage addons first ,then i think it will work to install active x

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#6 yabbadoo

yabbadoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:40 PM

the information bar is opened and need attention on the manage addons first ,then i think it will work to install active x

Thank you for the reply. I tried it and all seemed to be going well until I clicked the "Install" on the panel, then yet again it went on permanent "Not Responding" and I had to crash out.

Any clues ?

Here is the screen shot :-

Attached File  Windows update not responding.JPG   128.35KB   5 downloads

#7 yabbadoo

yabbadoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2012 - 01:31 PM

LATEST - I have now got IE working perfectly with the Windows update facility checking my update needs OK. I solved the Activex plug-in matter.

Updates are now coming in. Some are accepted and others are not. Why some are and some are not baffles me, but I just keep feeding them in as they come along, ignoring permanent failures.

Using Sandboxie Windows security updates are not too important. I will stick with my Windows XP Home with SP3 until 2014 when MS kill it, then install a new Windows version.

Unless you have any relevant comments to make on this issue, I consider the matter closed and thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users