Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer shuts off during gaming

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ladysniper

ladysniper

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:16 AM

Here is my issue. For the last week, my computer has been shutting down during gaming. I mean a hard shut down with no BSOD and no events in the log viewer. I typically need to wait several minutes before it will turn back on. I think possible PSU overheating issue, but I'm not sure. However, the first time it happened, the top of my case was hot and the PSU was hot to the touch. I put an external fan on low on the box (I rarely shut it, what can I say...) and that seemed to help. This was while playing WoW, however, I wasn't actually doing anything in game. Just sitting/chatting. Yesterday, my niece was playing CoD Modern Warfare 3 and the same thing happened. Top of box was warm to touch, PSU was hot as well. Put the fan back on, turned it on and off she went again. About an hour later, same problem, however, everything was cool to the touch, I guess because the fan was on it. And then the 3rd time it happened, we shut it down. I've been running speed fan pretty regularly and watching my core temps as well. My GPU (nvidia 9400GT) runs about 113 at idle and 120-130 gaming. My CPU temps are 108 idle and 125-130 stressed. My two core 1 temp that says AMD K8 is 104 while running Prime 95 stress test. GPU is 113 while running the stress test, but I don't think it's stressing my GPU at all. However, I have one temp running 129 and I can't figure out what that is. It's temp1 and I'm clueless on that one. Ambient is 32 degrees. Hard drive is 84. Specs:

AMD Athlon 64x2 dual core 5600+
Nvidia GeForce 9400GT
4g Ram
PSU PSIV-500-2 Generic ATX 2.03 500W

Should I start with PSU and work from there? I don't like these hard shut downs, they can't be good for my pc at all.

Thanks!

Edited by ladysniper, 02 July 2012 - 05:25 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:18 AM

I assume these temps are Fahrenheit and not Celsius?

What I would do is a thorough dust cleanup for computer. Find and remove any and all dust you find in your computer, on the computer vents, in the computer vent filters, and the power supplies. Too much dust can easily contribute to higher temperatures inside the case.

Even check your video card fan for dust.

If you find that computer is fairly dust free, has good ventilation, etc it could be that your power supply is either not working properly or your components are drawing too much power.

Was any new equipment added to the computer that could draw more than the PSU is rated at?

#3 ladysniper

ladysniper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:29 AM

Yes, my apologies, those temps are F. I also dusted out the interior of the computer and all ventilation areas. I used a small paintbrush on the fans. I actually just leave the case open to be honest on the side for extra ventilation and easier access to cleaning. Seems everything where I live gets dust on it quickly. There has been no hardware added recently nor has there been any software updates. My gut is telling me hardware failure, I'm just not sure *what* hardware. If it's PSU, GPU or my fan isn't cooling my mobo like it should be.

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,614 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:09 AM

Well if the computer goes completely dark and there is no air blowing out of the PSU, my guess is that its the PSU failing.

#5 ladysniper

ladysniper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:58 AM

Just in case someone else is looking this same issue up, as of today, I seem to be ok. I changed my PSU out 2 days ago and frankly, my whole computer seems cooler and no shut downs. If I need to update this with another part, I will do so when I pinpoint the problem if it recurs. Thanks again for your help.

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,614 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:33 AM

Glad you were able to figure it out. Thanks for sharing your solution.

#7 XPWhizzKid

XPWhizzKid

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 04 July 2012 - 02:28 PM

I am glad that you were able to sort it out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users