Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

32-bit vs. 64 bit?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 TechlessOS_3211

TechlessOS_3211

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 01 July 2012 - 02:15 PM

Hi y'all,

I just received a spanking new Macbook Pro and I'm looking to install Windows 7 via Bootcamp. Problem is, I don't know which version to buy. Is 64-bit Windows 7 worth it?

I'll probably be looking into Adobe CS5 or CS6 products (which only run on 64-bit), but those can be run on my Mac partition as far as I know. Maybe I'll transfer Vista moviemaker to Windows 7. Most likely I will be using some 3D rendering software such as Maya or Blender. The main problem is that I run many freeware apps on my Vista 32-bit at home which I'd like to also install on my Macbook. I don't know whether these apps use 16-bit installers or not, and I know for a fact there are some programs like Sandboxie which are crippled in a 64-bit environment. Also, I plan to grab my old Photoshop/Imageready 7.0 disk because I prefer Imageready to Fireworks.

My Macbook only has 4GB of RAM. Should I go for 64-bit, or stick to 32-bit? All opinions are appreciated! Thanks :thumbup2:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:03 PM

Hello TechlessOS_3211,

I would go with Windows 7, 64-bit. The 64-bit platform is capable of running Windows 32 bit software, but not the other way around.
See: 32-bit and 64-bit Windows: frequently asked questions.

If you purchase a retail copy of Windows 7, it will come with two DVDs; one 32-bit and one 64-bit disk. You will have to decide what version of Windows 7 you want: Compare Windows Versions.

FYI: "Starting with version 3.44, Sandboxie offers full support for 64-bit editions of Windows Vista with Service Pack 1, and Windows 7."

Good luck.

Regards,
Brooks

#3 Chris Appleyard

Chris Appleyard

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:20 PM

32 Bit = More Viruses 64 Bit = Awesome performance (If you have more then 4GB it will allocate more RAM so that your PC runs faster, 32 Bit will only work up to 4GB of RAM)

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world"
-Nelson Mandela

Windows 7 Home Premium | AMD Athlon II 250 Dual Core CPU | 4.0 RAM Kingston | Nvidia GT 520 | Elite Group MCP61M-M3 Motherboard | COMODO Firewall | Avast! Free | Google Chrome.

#4 SwiftHawk

SwiftHawk

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Location:C:\Universe\Milky Way\Sol\Terra\Canada\Quebec\Montreal\Home

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:08 PM

32 Bit = More Viruses 64 Bit = Awesome performance (If you have more then 4GB it will allocate more RAM so that your PC runs faster, 32 Bit will only work up to 4GB of RAM)

32 bit doesn't mean more viruses. 64 bit doesn't offer some sort of "protection" and can cause confusion when worded like that. Any infection can hit a 32 can attack a 64. Anyways..

Here is a rundown.

32 bit can offer better support for a very limited number of application. In your case, there is no reason why you should limit yourself. The is a hardcode limit to 32 bits for a total of 4GB of ram. (Like, math wise, you just can't go higher). Even though you only have 4, you can use Window's SpeedBoost for USB devices to fake having more then 4. So, take another 4GB stick, use speedboost and suddenly - You are at "8GB" (It's allot slower then normal ram but faster then a HD for swapping.)

This is super important for doing graphic design stuff. So, for blender and maya - I would recommend 64 all the way. For 16-bit application, I'm sure there is a 32 bit version out by now.

Hope that helps.

#5 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:26 PM

64 bit doesn't limit you to only 64bit apps. if you can run it on 32bit it will run on a 64bit system under programs(x86) and by the way it does offer a little more security than 32bit system for the simple fact that most attacks are aimed at 32bit systems.

#6 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:51 AM

If you want any old WinXP programs to work in Win7 Home, the 64-bit version has a lot of problems running them. My brother wanted some old 16-bit games (he's old and not into the gaming ones) and he's getting frustrated because I can't get some of them to run on his new 64-bit. :crazy:

#7 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:27 AM

Grozz Posted Today, 04:19 AM said:
64 bit systems faster. isnt it?

A 64-bit system can be faster because it can take advantage of more than 4 GBs of RAM. If you use memory intensive programs such as photoshop, are a gamer, or a multitasker and have 30 tabs open in your browser, a 64-bit operating system with 4 or more GBs of memory will perform faster that a 32-bit system.

If you are a casual computer user; check e-mail, write an occasional office document, shop online, you probably won't notice any improvement in speed over a 32-bit system with 2-3 GBs of RAM installed. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/taking-the-mystery-out-of-64-bit-windows

I recommend the 64-bit OS for the original poster.

Regards,
Brooks

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:19 PM

FWIW: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/32-bit-and-64-bit-Windows-frequently-asked-questions

Louis

#9 TechlessOS_3211

TechlessOS_3211
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 08 July 2012 - 03:42 PM

Thanks for the help everyone! I just got my Windows 7 x64 disk in the mail from the software center :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users