Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I need good anti-theft measures for a new laptop.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Michael199x

Michael199x

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 01 July 2012 - 01:49 PM

I'm looking to invest in a ~$1999 laptop. I'm moving out of the home and into a dorm soon, so I'm looking for a full-on desktop replacement to meet my needs.

The problem is that I don't trust people around that heavy of an investment. I'm afraid that my expensive new laptop could be stolen by either my dorm-mate, or someone else he knows, or someone on campus... etc, etc. My point is, I'm afraid of the thing being stolen.

I need some technology to apply to the thing to make it very hard to steal; Or at the very least, hard to get away with. GPS tracking, engraving, etcetc, some sort of physical lock... anything to deter theft.

Any help is appreciated.

EDIT: Typo in the topic description; Thats meant to be "you", not "your". Can't edit topic title/description, though. Mod Edit: Fixed:) - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 24 August 2012 - 06:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 01 July 2012 - 02:03 PM

Two suggestions.

Laptop locker: http://www.computersecurity.com/locker/

And

Lojack: http://www.absolute.com/lojackforlaptops/

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:04 PM

Other thoughts to add to animal's good suggestions.

Password the startup process so they can't even boot the computer with out the password. Same with access to the Bios, Password needed. That will help protect against someone else using it and thus lessen the chance of getting Malware.

Forget the password and you won't be able to boot either.

You culd set a hard drive password if available but that one if you forget it not only will the computer not boot but no data recovery either. All will be lost so not suggested to use.

Whatever you buy do not forget to make the system recovery discs on good quality DVD blanks.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 Bob++

Bob++

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2012 - 10:37 AM

Physically engrave your name on the back where it can be seen and also somewhere inside where it cant (helps if you need to identify it).

Edited by Bob++, 15 July 2012 - 10:37 AM.

#5 KING_OF_SAND

KING_OF_SAND

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:52 PM

A kensington lock and a cinderblock :P

AMD OVERCLOCKED rig

Posted Image

INTEL OVERCLOCKED rig (OLD)

Posted Image

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,395 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2012 - 06:08 PM

I have the most obvious suggestion...write down and maintain the serial number and all documentation for the purchase/laptop...just in case.

Louis

#7 Burney

Burney

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:50 PM

My roommate in college used a chain and a bike lock for his laptop. Its simple and effective.

#8 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,255 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 31 August 2012 - 05:21 PM

Physically engrave your name on the back where it can be seen and also somewhere inside where it cant (helps if you need to identify it).

A kensington lock and a cinderblock :P

write down and maintain the serial number and all documentation for the purchase/laptop

I'd say these three things together ought to be very good protection, and dirt cheap!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users