Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Transferring Bookmarks

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Meanie

Meanie

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:25 PM

My desktop uses Windows XP and my laptop uses Windows 7. I am attempting to transfer my bookmarks in Firefox from the desktop to the laptop. After several attempts, I'm beyond frustrated and at the level of ire.

First and foremost, I prefer not to use Firefox Sync. Therefore, I tried backup to a USB drive and restore onto the laptop. Message: "Unable to restore bookmarks". I tried export to the USB drive and import onto the laptop. No bookmarks appear. I tried copying the file "places sqlite"(that's the bookmark file) from the profile folder and pasting to the same location on the laptop. Again, nothing. I then tried importing the files on the USB drive to IE favorites, which worked, then I was hoping to export from IE to Firefox. Again, nothing.

Before I lose my sanity, can someone provide some enlightenment to what I may be overlooking?

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,989 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2012 - 01:35 PM

One way is to use email. Simply export the bookmarks in XP to the desktop. Then
attach to email. Open email on the Win 7 and copy the attached file to the desktop then
import into Firefox.
That will also give you a nice backup in your saved emails for your bookmarks.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Meanie

Meanie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2012 - 02:23 PM

I'm not certain WTH is going on, but I tried the email method as well and nothing is working. I'm aggravated beyond insanity.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:38 PM

Hi -
Did you Right Click on the items in I.E., then down to Send To, where you have options for Desktop / Email / and others.
I have just used this to send a link from my XP to my Win7 via email, and it worked -

Good Luck -

#5 Meanie

Meanie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:07 PM

Hi -
Did you Right Click on the items in I.E., then down to Send To, where you have options for Desktop / Email / and others.
I have just used this to send a link from my XP to my Win7 via email, and it worked -

Good Luck -

Not sure I follow you. Where exactly am I right clicking?

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,989 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:10 PM

I'm not certain WTH is going on, but I tried the email method as well and nothing is working. I'm aggravated beyond insanity.

Well, what exactly did you do and what step(s) failed????

On XP machine.......You simply click on Bookmarks, click on Show All Bookmarks, click on Import and Backup, Click on Export Bookmarks To HTML,
Choose Desktop from dropdown list. Is this what you did?

Open email, attach Bookmarks file from Desktop, send email, Open email on Win 7 machine, click on attachment and choose to copy to Desktop,
Click on Bookmarks, Clickon show All Bookmarks, Click on Import and Backup, click on Import, choose the file located on the

.If you did the above you should now see the bookmarks from XP in Win 7 Firefox Bookmarks folder.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 Meanie

Meanie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:16 PM

Well, what exactly did you do and what step(s) failed????

On XP machine.......You simply click on Bookmarks, click on Show All Bookmarks, click on Import and Backup, Click on Export Bookmarks To HTML,
Choose Desktop from dropdown list. Is this what you did?

Open email, attach Bookmarks file from Desktop, send email, Open email on Win 7 machine, click on attachment and choose to copy to Desktop,
Click on Bookmarks, Clickon show All Bookmarks, Click on Import and Backup, click on Import, choose the file located on the

.If you did the above you should now see the bookmarks from XP in Win 7 Firefox Bookmarks folder.

That's exactly what I did and nothing appears.

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,989 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:30 PM

right click on the bookmarks file that is on the Win 7 desktop and check properties. What does it say?

If the file contains the bookmarks, not empty, then move the file from the desktop to Documents and attempt
to import again to Firefox.

EDIT: If the above doesn't work then try switching to Restart With Addons Disabled....Help, choose RWAD
Try again to import.

The last suggestion would be to do a clean install of Firefox. That entails uninstalling Firefox and finding
and removing your Firefox profile as that is not removed by using the Firefox uninstaller.
Easiest way to find the profile is to do a search for Firefox and a search for Mozilla. Delete all files in those
two categories. You can save the bookmarks html file or not. You still have it in the email.
Once all of Firefox is removed, reboot and download and reinstall Firefox.

I will just mention that when you imported the bookmarks they would appear at the bottom of the existing
bookmarks you now have installed on the Win 7. Of course, if all you see is a blank window in the bookmarks
folder.....
Also check by clicking on any existing folders in that window such as unsorted to see if the bookmarks are
hidden there or elsewhere. That would be odd but, hey, odd things happen in the computer world.

Edited by buddy215, 01 July 2012 - 07:44 PM.

#9 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:43 PM

If all else fails:

You could add them to Internet Explorer Favorites folder on the new computer.

Computer/Users/your user name/Favorites.

Once you have them there open Firefox.

Click the drop-down arrow next to the Star icon, choose Show All Bookmarks.

Import and Backup/Import Data from Another Browser. Choose IE and let them import into Firefox.

They will be under a folder called From Internet Explorer but at least you'd have them in Firefox.

Depending on how many you have you can open up the IE folder and drag and drop to Firefox bookmarks.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 01 July 2012 - 07:48 PM.

#10 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,989 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:18 PM

Queen-Evie.....QUOTE from OP: ". I then tried importing the files on the USB drive to IE favorites, which worked, then I was hoping to export from IE to Firefox. Again, nothing."

I suspect either a bug unique to Meanie's computer, corrupt Firefox file or an incompatible addon if the bookmarks file on the Win 7 desktop is
not empty. Or a gremlin....may need exorcising. :)

#11 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:07 AM

To be a bit more specific in what I did using IE Favorites -
You said >> "I then tried importing the files on the USB drive to IE favorites, which worked,"<<

Once in IE, click on Favorites drop-down menu - - Now go down to the item that you want to export to Win7 -
Do not open it, just hold the pointer over the item and Right Click it with your mouse -
You should now have these things listed ; Open, Print, Send To, Create Shortcut, Etc, Etc, - Note; SEND TO has an arrow beside it ( > )

Move the mouse pointer to Send To and go across ( > ) to Mail Recipient and Left Click on the Favorite that you have selected to email.
A new email box will then show up
Type your Win7 email address on the top line and click on Send - It should be in your Win7 email in moments as you have emailed it to yourself.

If this is not working then see the post from buddy215 re; infection -

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/1032/favoritesz.jpg

Picture link added

Edited by noknojon, 02 July 2012 - 02:04 AM.

#12 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:53 AM

Queen-Evie.....QUOTE from OP: ". I then tried importing the files on the USB drive to IE favorites, which worked, then I was hoping to export from IE to Firefox. Again, nothing."

I suspect either a bug unique to Meanie's computer, corrupt Firefox file or an incompatible addon if the bookmarks file on the Win 7 desktop is
not empty. Or a gremlin....may need exorcising. :)

*sigh* I missed that info in the first post. Overlooking seemed to be the order of the day for me yesterday. Thank you for pointing that out.

#13 Meanie

Meanie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:01 PM

right click on the bookmarks file that is on the Win 7 desktop and check properties. What does it say?

If the file contains the bookmarks, not empty, then move the file from the desktop to Documents and attempt
to import again to Firefox.

EDIT: If the above doesn't work then try switching to Restart With Addons Disabled....Help, choose RWAD
Try again to import.

The last suggestion would be to do a clean install of Firefox. That entails uninstalling Firefox and finding
and removing your Firefox profile as that is not removed by using the Firefox uninstaller.
Easiest way to find the profile is to do a search for Firefox and a search for Mozilla. Delete all files in those
two categories. You can save the bookmarks html file or not. You still have it in the email.
Once all of Firefox is removed, reboot and download and reinstall Firefox.

I will just mention that when you imported the bookmarks they would appear at the bottom of the existing
bookmarks you now have installed on the Win 7. Of course, if all you see is a blank window in the bookmarks
folder.....
Also check by clicking on any existing folders in that window such as unsorted to see if the bookmarks are
hidden there or elsewhere. That would be odd but, hey, odd things happen in the computer world.

OK, I will consider the uninstall as my last option.

#14 Meanie

Meanie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:03 PM

If all else fails:

You could add them to Internet Explorer Favorites folder on the new computer.

Computer/Users/your user name/Favorites.

Once you have them there open Firefox.

Click the drop-down arrow next to the Star icon, choose Show All Bookmarks.

Import and Backup/Import Data from Another Browser. Choose IE and let them import into Firefox.

They will be under a folder called From Internet Explorer but at least you'd have them in Firefox.

Depending on how many you have you can open up the IE folder and drag and drop to Firefox bookmarks.

I already tried that and saw that folder, yet nothing appears.

#15 Meanie

Meanie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:08 PM

To be a bit more specific in what I did using IE Favorites -
You said >> "I then tried importing the files on the USB drive to IE favorites, which worked,"<<

Once in IE, click on Favorites drop-down menu - - Now go down to the item that you want to export to Win7 -
Do not open it, just hold the pointer over the item and Right Click it with your mouse -
You should now have these things listed ; Open, Print, Send To, Create Shortcut, Etc, Etc, - Note; SEND TO has an arrow beside it ( > )

Move the mouse pointer to Send To and go across ( > ) to Mail Recipient and Left Click on the Favorite that you have selected to email.
A new email box will then show up
Type your Win7 email address on the top line and click on Send - It should be in your Win7 email in moments as you have emailed it to yourself.

If this is not working then see the post from buddy215 re; infection -

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/1032/favoritesz.jpg

Picture link added

I figured it out after I asked for specification. When I hit "mail recipient", nothing opens. Though, I would hate to do it this way since my bookmarks list is lengthy, but if I had to, so be it. I think i will shoot for the reinstall.

Thank you everyone, I'll keep you posted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users