Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sluggish computer, memory resources being maxed out, video lag.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 AugustAPC

AugustAPC

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:22 AM

Hi, I opened a thread yesterday (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic458854.html), trying to detail my problems that I'm having. I was unable to accurately describe what was happening.

I've found that I'm still having problems at the moment and I think I've isolated what could be the problem. I don't believe the last Window's Security updates were properly installed on my computer. The yellow shield will randomly appear some hours after I've been using my computer and I'll choose to allow them to install... however, during the install my computer slows to a crawl and I'm unable to open any programs including the task manager. I get an error saying that the computer does not have sufficient resources.

I'm not entirely sure that this is the problem... as I've been experiencing other symptoms outside of when the updates are trying to install, like relatively laggy YouTube videos.

Any insight or help as to how I can fix this would be greatly appreciate. I'm running Windows XP as my OS.

Edit 1: Here's more info. I just restarted my computer and the yellow update icon came up immediately. The install was able to go through entirely this time. However, one of the updates was apparently not installed. I got this error message:
"Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 on Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB2656369) was unable to install"

Moments after the update finished, the yellow update icon showed up again. Also, when I run the update, it takes up most of my computer's memory.

Edit 2: Okay... so I tried to install the updates again, and this time all 3 were unable to install. I tried to screenshot the error messages but apparently there wasn't enough memory available to run any image editing program after that. However, I had my task manager open and it said that CPU Usage was under 10%... yet I still couldn't run anymore programs.

Another thing to note was when I went to shut down my computer (my only option at this point), the menu looked different. Instead of three buttons cascaded horizontally, "Stand By", "Turn Off" and "Restart", I was presented with a drag down menu.

Here are pictures of what it looked like:

Normal: Posted Image

What I saw: Posted Image

Finally... the Windows Update Icon is still there, but now it says there's 4 updates instead of 3... I'm so lost! Really need help here!

Edited by AugustAPC, 01 July 2012 - 12:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,011 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 01 July 2012 - 01:03 PM

What is your operating system? Windows XP, Vista, . . . ?

How much RAM do you have?

Network Framework updates are a bear to install, take a lot of resources, and will fail to install if a certain service is disabled. I advise against running anything else while OS updates are occurring.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 AugustAPC

AugustAPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2012 - 01:08 PM

I'm running XP and have 1 gig of ram. I've let it run on its own... and it's had varied results as I've described in the original post. Sometimes it says only 1 part has not successfully been installed, sometimes it say none of them have.

I ran combofix while the icon was docked on the bottom of the screen, and it seemed to get rid of it... but I have a feeling it'll be back.

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,011 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 01 July 2012 - 01:14 PM

Since you have run ComboFix, please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<== starting at step 6.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<== Since you have run ComboFix, please include the ComboFix log that was created in the new topic. Please do NOT run ComboFix again unless a member of the Malware Response Team asks you to. Please be sure to include a description of your computer issues and what you have done to try to resolve them and a link to this topic.

If you cannot produce any of the other logs, then please create the new topic anyway, include the information that you were unable to produce the other logs and why and include the ComboFix log along with a description of your computer issues.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:09 AM

I noticed that you have posted logs here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic459074.html/ and Maurice Naggar (MRT member) is helping you. To avoid confusion this topic is now closed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users