Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer running too hot?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Promqueen

Promqueen

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:05 AM

My laptop is regularly shutting down randomly. It appears to be because of over heating problems.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/8iJKo11id3jI2BcAzJikcNw

Is there anything I can do to prevent this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:48 AM

Laptop overheating; a few thoughts:

• If it is still under warranty, send it back.
  • Make sure that the CPU fan is working. You should feel warm to hot air exiting the exhaust vent on the side; especially during heavy computing.
  • Make sure that the laptop isn't placed on a soft surface where the air intake, usually on the bottom of the laptop, could become blocked.
  • Use a can of compressed air on the intake and exhaust vents (make sure the computer is off and unplugged). Some recommend using a vacuum on the exhaust while blowing air into the intake.
  • Adjust the computer power settings to save power on components, allow suspend, or to turn off hard drives sooner.
  • Use a laptop cooling pad.

Regards,
Brooks

#3 Promqueen

Promqueen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:05 AM

If the fan isn't running very well, is there anything I can do to make sure it is?
What actually controls the running speed of the fan.

#4 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:35 PM

Hi Promqueen,

The CPU fan may be running very slowly when the computer is first started and therefore not noticable. This is normal. As the temperature of the processor increases with use, the fan speed should also increase. The fan speed is set by the computer manufacturer but can sometimes be alterred via the computer's BIOS, through Windows Power Options, or special software. You should feel warm or hot air coming from the side exhaust vent during heavy computing. Most modern processors will shut the computer off if CPU temperature reaches a critical point (i.e. the CPU fan dies). Without actually taking the laptop apart to visualize the fan, feeling, listening, and monitoring temperature is all you can do.

Here are some fan speed references:
http://www.ehow.com/how_6968928_control-fan-speed-laptop-notebook.html
or
http://www.ehow.com/how_4547829_adjust-laptop-fan-speed.html.

Make sure the vents are clean by using some canned air.

Regards,
Brooks

#5 mac_attack

mac_attack

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:49 PM

Have you been able to check your temps?

#6 Promqueen

Promqueen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:38 PM

I have checked them, I seem to have remedied the problem by changing power settings.

EDIT: By changing power settings I mean not using high performance.

Edited by Promqueen, 02 July 2012 - 08:03 PM.

#7 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:54 PM

That's good news. Posted Image

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users