Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Chronic Slowdowns on Dell Laptop

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Crossxfire68

Crossxfire68

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 01 July 2012 - 01:53 AM

For the past 3 years that I've had this laptop (Dell Studio 1440/14z) i have been having unusual throttling problems with the system's performance, every 4-10 minutes or so, my laptop gets extremely slow (Minecraft goes from 45 FPS Avg. to around 1-4 FPS) and the computer generally unresponsive, to the point that the only way I can temporary fix it is to put the computer to sleep for a few minutes. (Can't restart/Shut down it, it won't boot back up without HOURS of trying) Right now, the only way I can actually use this computer is by removing the battery and using it only plugged in.

I had a similar issues a year ago, in which the computer wouldn't charge the battery, and would also seriously throttle the performance. Serviced it through dell, but sadly the same problem reoccurred a week after the extended warranty was up... including the other problem that is occurring now. <_<

Not entirely sure what the problem is with the computer (Best guess is the DC board is shot), but I have noticed that the computer does get extremely hot near the touchpad rest, and the fans are ALWAYS on full speed, still not sure if that is the problem though.

Any ideas what could be causing this/Anyone have any past experience with this kind of problem before?

System Specs:

Dell Studio 1440 (Refubished, bought from Dell Outlet for $340 USD)
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2 GHZ
Nvidia Geforce 9400m
Seagate 250gb 5400RPM HDD
3gb of DDR3 Ram
14" 1336x768 LCD display
I'm using the included AC adapter
And I have the included stock battery that came with the system. (Not Currently in use.)

Thanks!
B)
-Crossxfire68

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:07 PM

Use a gaming desktop instead of a laptop which are basically use for lightweight computing. Most gamers using laptops complained of overheating problems.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users