Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 fails to complete booting after software update

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 DonaldCRSM

DonaldCRSM

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 30 June 2012 - 11:15 PM

Hello everyone! I'm hoping some one can help me with a situation I have.

While recently using Nero 10's suite of programs I encountered a screen indicating several programs had newer versions and that I should update before continuing. I then updated the programs. The update process required a system reboot to complete the update, since part of the update process could not be completed while the system was running. After clicking on the "Reboot Now Button" the system went through a normal shutdown and start up process. However, after displaying the Windows 7 screen the system hung and I never saw the Windows 7 Logon screen.

At this point I powered down and restarted the computer. The computer displayed the "Windows did not shutdown properly last time" screen during the loading process. I then selected to finish booting in SAFE Mode. The computer then booted successfully and I was able to exercise the system. I then attempted to restart the computer from SAFE MODE but again encountered the "hanging" condition. I again attempted to reboot and once again received the "Windows did not shutdown properly last time" screen. Since booting into SAFE MODE hadn't solved the problem, I attempted to boot into SAFE MODE with networking. This caused the system to again "hang". In summary, I am able to boot into all but the SAFE MODE with networking capability, which reproduces the problem.

Since SAFE MODE failed to resolve the issue, I attempted to boot from a Windows 7 Installation DVD. After successfully loading from I selected the "Repair your Computer" option, which then located the Windows 7 system and attempted to repair the error. After completing the system repair, I again attempted to restart the system, thinking the repair had been successful. However, the computer again "hung" without displaying the Windows Logon screen.

I then used an external USB drive containing Fedora 15 to successfully boot the computer. This has allowed me to "poke" around on the hard drive containing the Windows 7 system. I've examined the failing drives partition tables to see if during the updating process the drive had become corrupted. Upon examination of the drive's partition table, I could not find any apparent errors. The following screen shot shows the partition contents of the Windows 7 drive:

Attached File  Screenshot-1.5 TB Hard Disk (ATA WDC WD15EARS-60MVWB0) -dev-sda Disk Utility.png   153.56KB   3 downloads

The contents of the SYSTEM partition is shown in the following screen shot:

Attached File  Screenshot-SYSTEM-1.png   69.43KB   3 downloads

There are two directories on the SYSTEM partition that I found interesting. The following shows the contents of the Boot and Temp directories:

Attached File  Screenshot-Boot-1.png   86.51KB   4 downloads

Attached File  Screenshot-Temp-1.png   77.09KB   4 downloads

I have been able to examine the BCD, BCD.Backup.0001, BCD.LOG and BOOTSTAT.Dat files using a HEX capable editor and can provide copies of any or all of the files.

The Temp directory originally indicated it was empty on the directory tree, but when I clicked on the directory I discovered what appear to be the log files that were generated during the attempt to repair the system when I loaded from the Windows 7 Installation DVD. The following files were located in the Temp directory:

Attached File  bcdinfo.txt   3.68KB   5 downloads

Attached File  disklayout.txt   3.99KB   8 downloads

Attached File  SrtTrail.log   6.86KB   1 downloads

Attached File  SrtTrail.txt   2.37KB   2 downloads

Attached File  bootfailure.txt   4bytes   3 downloads

The bootfailure.txt and SrtTrail.txt files cannot be opened except by using an editor with HEX capability. The SrtTrail.txt file contained 0xFF and 0xFE as the first two bytes of the file. Every other byte of the file was 0x00. I removed the 0x00 values and replaced the 0xFF and 0xFE values with 0x0D and 0x0A and saved the results as the following file:

Attached File  SrtTrail (Patched).txt   1.19KB   1 downloads

The results as shown in the SrtTrail.txt file is that the root cause found during the Windows 7 repair process was "No OS files" were "found on disk". A "Partition table repair" was attempted but Failed with an Error code = 0x490. To support this finding the disklayout.txt file indicated that no OS was found, which should have been shown under the Info column for the SYSTEM Volume.

Although I have researched the recovery process extensively and have backed up the data from the OS partition onto an external drive, I'm not sure if the next step should be to use the Windows 7 Installation DVD and through the Command prompt option rebuild the BCD file or if I should attempt to review the contents of the Windows registry.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 30 June 2012 - 11:56 PM

I then selected to finish booting in SAFE Mode. The computer then booted successfully and I was able to exercise the system.

Hi -
Did you have an option to select "Last Known Good Configuration ..." or whatever your system usually has, as well as Safe Mode ??
This is always the better option to select first if available -
Or was Safe Mode (with or without Networking) your only options -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users