Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Additional Hd

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 trickydick

• Members
  • 113 posts
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 04 March 2006 - 11:10 AM

I currently have a 40G HD and want to update.

Can I just add another HD and leave windows on the old and use the new one for all the new stuff or should I transfer everything onto the new HD?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 11:30 AM

Having a second hard drive is fortunate, since you can use it for storage and for backups in case of a disaster. If your current drive is fairly new, I would leave the Operating system and programmes on that, and use the new one (you will probably want to partition it into useable chunks) for storage. If it is somewhat old, then reverse the useage, since the new one will no doubt be faster and last longer.
Putting in a second hard drive is a good time to reinstall your operating system (assuming that has not been done in a couple of years) and other applications and programmes.
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 AMD010

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 09:08 PM

Ya, i would just install the new hard drive keep the old one like it is. then copy all of your documents and saved files over.
Win XP Pro, Windows 7, Ubuntu. AMD Athlon X2 5600+ 4x1GB DDR2800, 500 GB SATA, Geforce 8500GT.

MCTS, A+, Net+.

Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

Posted Image
Fight Spam! Click Here!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users