Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Things become unclickable

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cshell4642

cshell4642

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:56 PM

Hello, I have a strange problem and I'm out of ideas where to look or what to do. Not long ago I upgraded my moniter from a 15"Dell to a 19" Acer. At the time, I moved my computer to a lower shelf so it was easily accessible. Hooked everything back up and discovered at times things ( folders, closing, closing a window, links on a web page) do not respond. At first I was rebooting every time. That became a pain. Now, if I do Ctrl-Alt-Del and bring up task manager and just close it back up( X it out) then everything is ok, Things are clickable or will open then.

Specs: Win XP Pro SP3
2Ghz Ram
AMD Athlon 5000 Dual Core CPU
Nvidia Ge Force 6150Se nforce 430 video
Biostar motherboard

I've cleaned out the cache, upgraded the video to the nforce 430, and not coming up with any virus' I don't know where else to look. I primarily use Firefox and have ver 13.0.1. I didn't have this problem prior to upgrading the moniter. Does anyone have any ideas where else I might look?
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 30 June 2012 - 10:28 PM

Run system file checker and chkdsk.

Tekken

#3 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:02 PM

Also make sure that you didn't inadvertantly dislodge the video card from it's slot when you plugged in the new monitor and moved the system. Check other cables and components while you're in there.

Regards,
Brooks

#4 cshell4642

cshell4642
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:55 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I ran chkdsk and system file checker. It's still doing it every now and then.
I am using the onboard video, but thinking about upgrading.

#5 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:27 PM

1.Try updating your graphics driver.
2.Disable everything in your startup except your antivirus. http://www.netsquirrel.com/msconfig/msconfig_xp.html
3.Run a check disk....hit the windows key and r at the same time then type cmd then type chkdsk /r into the command prompt window then hit enter you will be asked to schedule on next reboot,hit y then hit enter then reboot your machine.
4.Uninstall your audio driver and reboot.

1. Right click on My Computer > Properties > Hardware Tab > Device Manager
2. Left click the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers group
3. Right click on Primary IDE and hit Uninstall,if there is more than one uninstall all and reboot after all are uninstalled
4. Reboot the computer, the Primary IDE drivers will re-install themselves after you reboot.
5. Go back to the Device Manager and Left click the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers group again.
6. Right click on Primary IDE Channel and go to Properties > Advanced Settings tab.
7. Make sure that both Device's Modes are on "DMA if available".
8. Link Explaining http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr.../gg463526.aspx

#6 hummelos

hummelos

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:05 AM

it's slot when you plugged in the new monitor and moved the system.Posted Image

#7 cshell4642

cshell4642
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:20 AM

Thanks I.A. I'll try those and let you know what I come up with.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users