1.Try updating your graphics driver.
2.Disable everything in your startup except your antivirus. http://www.netsquirrel.com/msconfig/msconfig_xp.html
3.Run a check disk....hit the windows key and r at the same time then type cmd then type chkdsk /r
into the command prompt window then hit enter you will be asked to schedule on next reboot,hit y then hit enter then reboot your machine.
4.Uninstall your audio driver and reboot.
1. Right click on My Computer > Properties > Hardware Tab > Device Manager
2. Left click the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers group
3. Right click on Primary IDE and hit Uninstall,if there is more than one uninstall all and reboot after all are uninstalled
4. Reboot the computer, the Primary IDE drivers will re-install themselves after you reboot.
5. Go back to the Device Manager and Left click the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers group again.
6. Right click on Primary IDE Channel and go to Properties > Advanced Settings tab.
7. Make sure that both Device's Modes are on "DMA if available".
8. Link Explaining http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr.../gg463526.aspx