Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Disk Reallocated Sector Count Warning

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 shakur2233

shakur2233

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:47 PM

Dear Community members,

I hope all are well.

I am a newbie to the community and lack a bit of knowledge in terms of Hard disks.

I have recently noticed that my Hard Disk issued me a caution/warning regarding reallocated sector count, I have no idea what it means but after long research I have found that its related to Bad Sectors.

This is the first time I have received this type of error on my hard disk and it is under warranty as well. I have attached full report to this topic of the my hard disk, please I request the experienced users especially those who knows or dealt with hard disk related issued before to read it as to what went wrong suddenly.

Attached File  Disk report 2012 07 01.txt   20.34KB   8 downloads

Please kindly advise me it is OK to worry and claim warranty or I don't have to worry about it because the Hard Disk Sentinel says that " There are 1 bad sectors on the disk surface. The contents of these sectors were moved to the spare area.
63 errors occurred during data transfer. This may indicate problem of the device or with data/power cables. It is recommended to examine and replace the cables if possible.
At this point, warranty replacement of the disk is not yet possible, only if the health drops further."

Similarly, HD Tune says that Hard disk have replace 1 bad sector. Below is the report Please read.

Attached File  HD Tune.txt   2.27KB   5 downloads

Furthermore, it also reports that my Hard disk is 98% healthy before it was 99%, is this a sign of my hard disk starting to fail because that one of the program is suggesting that it maybe to power/cable or devise itself? please let me know so that I can claim my warranty if the problem is serious.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 30 June 2012 - 09:55 PM

Any bad reports should indicate caution for us users. So the best thing would be is to have a regular backup plan in every scenario or events. From HD Tune FAQ site.

I have bad sectors and my disk health is 90%. Do I need to worry or ask for replacement drive?

It is important to know that any small, microscopic scratch or dust can cause some bad sectors on the disk surface. It is hard to avoid all of these problems and it is possible that the drive is not 100% perfect, but the health is still "excellent", so you do not need to worry about these sectors.

Especially, because these sectors are not used any more: the hard disk reallocated them and all read and write operations are redirected to the spare area instead.

The problem would start only when the number of these sectors increase (decreasing the health value of the disk).

Hard Disk Sentinel is the only software which is sensitive enough to detect the real number of problems and give textual description based on the real status of the hard disk.

The important thing is that it can detect any slight decrease in the health. For example, you can be alerted and can verify any (even very small) problems occured with your hard disk - otherwise such problems may not be noticed, until the disk failure appears.

Please press F1 in the software to open the help and select "Appendix -> Text description" for more information. You can find the same information at: http://www.hdsentinel.com/help/en

Tekken

#3 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:42 AM

You are following a very good practice of monitoring your hard drive with the two tools:
  • I suggest now testing the hard drive with Seagate's SeaTools run from a bootable CD.
    Let's see what the result of doing that is.

Test a Seagate manufactured hard disk drive using SeaTools for DOS run from a bootable CD.

:step1: Please download SeaTools for DOS (CD) from Seagate's SeaTools for DOS web page

or use the following direct download link to download the latest version of SeaTools for DOS:
Download SeaTools for DOS ISO Image

The downloaded file name is SeaToolsDOS223ALL.ISO
[/list]
:step2: Burn the downloaded .ISO image to a CD using the appropriate burning software.
  • If you do not already have a suitable burning program for writing .ISO images to disc ...
    • Download and install ImgBurn.
      Ensure that you UN-check the box agreeing to install the Ask toolbar during the installation.
    • Place a new (blank) CD disc in the drive tray.
    • Choose Write image file to disc.
    • Under Source, click on the Browse button: Navigate to and select the .ISO file that you wish to burn.
    • Place a check-mark in the box beside Verify.
  • Click Posted Image

When the CD has been burned and verified as successful, it will be bootable.

:step3: Boot from the CD.
  • (You may need to access the BIOS Setup Menu or the Boot Menu and change the boot order to enable booting from CD before hard drive.)
  • From Basic tests on the Main Menu, run the Short test and then the Long test.

(The long test will take some considerable time to complete.)
    The results will be shown as either a PASS or FAIL.
    There is a chance that during the Long test, you may be offered the opportunity to attempt repairs on the hard drive:
  • If so, go ahead and attempt to do so, but ONLY after backing up all important personal files.
[/list]Note: You may wish to view the following ...
Please let us know the results of the tests.

Edited by AustrAlien, 01 July 2012 - 05:42 AM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#4 shakur2233

shakur2233
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:19 AM

Firstly, I would like to thank you both AustrAlien and Jhayz for reply.

I have carried out all sorts of Tests including Sea Tool overnight, my hard disk passed every test with no trouble.

I guess it was just a warning or caution to be careful.

Can any of tell me how many Bad sectors my hard disk afford before it starts die, below are the values shown on reallocated Sector Count but I am having difficulty understanding the values, If you could explain to me as what the values and what is meant by threshold, it would be very helpful to me in the future.

Current = Worst = Threshold = Data = Status

Reallocated Sector Count 100 = 100 = 36 = 1 = warning

Edited by shakur2233, 01 July 2012 - 06:22 AM.

#5 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:41 AM

... how many Bad sectors my hard disk afford before it starts die

The first bad sector is the beginning of the inevitable downward spiral to death of a hard drive.

Only Seagate would be able (perhaps) to tell you how many bad sectors would need to appear before its diagnostic utility would pronounce the death sentence and allow you to return the hard drive for a warranty exchange. It seems to vary in each case?

Just the 1 reallocated sector is currently being reported. "Failure" could be pronounced at any time by the diagnostic utility ... when maybe 2 or 3 or 33 sectors are being reported as bad. I can't help you predict that.

You wrote: "I am having difficulty understanding the values"
Join the rest of us! The meaning of the values was not meant to be understood by mere mortals such as ourselves!
  • I rely on looking at the SMART values of a lot of different hard drives and trying to compare the various values that I see with what appears to be the state of the hard drives at the time. Then I do my best "educated" guess ... when required.

You have the right idea and are using the right tools to do the best you can in the way of monitoring the hard drive's health. If you also at the same time, have a good regular backup habit (such as an image/clone of the disk/drive), then you are well prepared for any eventuality, and the whole thing becomes merely an interesting learning experience rather than a life or death effort when something does eventually go wrong ... which of course it will!
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#6 shakur2233

shakur2233
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:53 AM

Thank you AustAlien for your quick response.

Yeah your right, these numbers confuses me some are over millions and some are - millions and but nonetheless both Software reports that they are Always OK except for the reallocated Sector Count is set warning.

Can i Post my HDD data in comparing to other users HDD of the same model and Firmware? As your more experienced than me maybe you can find it compare to other similar HDDs.

Before, it used to say that my HDD is performing better then other similar HDDs but it says now that it has degraded compare to other similar HDDs.

Please check below link and Let me know, I will be waiting.

My link

Edited by shakur2233, 01 July 2012 - 06:58 AM.

#7 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:12 AM

You are doing well. I think you are well on the way to having a good understanding of your hard drive's health .... which is a lot better than most!

I have not seen such a comparison table before! It is very interesting. Thank you for providing the link to that. I could study that for hours and then only be just a little wiser about it!

I have only a limited knowledge and understanding of these things, and like you I struggle to understand their meaning and significance. I don't think there is much more I can help you with here. Perhaps someone else will come along and contribute some more information for you.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#8 shakur2233

shakur2233
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:25 AM

I understand, it is very confusing to me as well.

Yeah I do my best to keep things healthy.

As you can see some of the values are green compare to others which mean the result is good and some value are yellow which I think means either warning or caution or worst. There are vales that are in yellow and if you compare it to others for example,they have 3400 on average and my HDDs is over 200 Trillion mark.

I hope someone with HDD expertise to have a look the post, it would be fascinating to learn as to what is going on there.

Anyway, I would like to thank you and appreciate your helpfulness.

Anyone else reading this topic it is not solved yet but we need experts in relation HDDs to help us out.

Thank you

Edited by shakur2233, 01 July 2012 - 07:33 AM.

#9 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:15 PM

Try asking your questions on the Seagate Community Forums.
  • fzabkar hangs out here, and he is the best I have come across. :bowdown:

Edited by AustrAlien, 01 July 2012 - 12:17 PM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#10 shakur2233

shakur2233
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:18 PM

Thank you AustrAlien for helping, I have posted there below is the link of my post if you want to follow the issue.

I have basically moved this post over there and little bit bad news the my HDD healthy is reduced from 98 to 88% now.

The Link to the Post.

My link

#11 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:49 PM

It seems that the situation is deteriorating right before your very own eyes: Interesting!

I have subscribed to your topic and will follow with interest. Thank you.
  • Good luck with the topic on the Seagate forums.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#12 shakur2233

shakur2233
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:45 PM

As you know AustrAlien, over there is no help but to contact the Seagate customer services, I will make request for help with the my HDD's health.

I hope the customers services will be able to help me.

#13 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:48 PM

I did not get notification of replies to your topic ... so I was not aware of developments.

It is disappointing that you have not received any futher explanation or discussion of the problem that is manifesting itself in the reports.

Keep in touch and let me know progress with Support. Thank you.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#14 shakur2233

shakur2233
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:51 AM

Hi AustrAlien and everyone,

I have received assurance from Seagate customers support saying that my disk is fine and there is nothing to worry about as my hard disk is 7200rpm therefore a small dust or slow part disk is sometimes taken as bad sector in order to keep hard disk's efficiency to best of its abilities.

However, I was advised if my disk bad sector or reallocated sector count reached 200 mark then Seagate will be able to take my drive under the warranty as 200 mark is or afterwards is failing hard disk.

Just wanted to update everyone on this and lastly there is no way to fix these bad sectors only the manufacturers can fix it.

Please note, this advise is for this Hard Disk Model ID : ST9250410ASG Firmware Revision : 0002SDM1 therefore if your drive is different then seek help as your HDD may have different value before it starts to fail or fail.

Thanks for the support,

Shakur2233

Edited by shakur2233, 29 July 2012 - 08:53 AM.

#15 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:48 AM

Thank you for updating with news that Seagate support is still alive and well.

... my disk is fine and there is nothing to worry about as my hard disk is 7200rpm therefore a small dust or slow part disk is sometimes taken as bad sector in order to keep hard disk's efficiency to best of its abilities.

Not much one can do about that sort of response ... except ROFL! :hysterical:

I suggest keeping a very close eye on the progress of that hard drive's failure ... and exchange it for another under warranty at the earliest opportunity.

Best of luck!
AustrAlien

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users