Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC won't boot at all

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Sapiend

Sapiend

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:39 PM

Hey all. I haven't been here in awhile and the reason why I'm here is very very curious. You see... I'm a pretty techy guy and can fix things pretty easily, but this one has me baffled. First, I'll give you my computer specs so I can break this down as fast as possible.

MoBo: MSI A75-G55 Military Class II
RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX Genesis DDR3 1600MHz (4GB x 2)
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200RPM SATA 3.0GBs
CPU: AMD A6-3650 Quad Core FM1 Socket Series
PSU: Coolmax V-600 Series 600w 4-pin connection

Now let's move onto the problem... Whenever I power on my computer, it won't boot. At all. Not even to the intro screen showing you the motherboard label. Can't go into BIOS. ANYTHING. The curious thing about it is that I was using a Gigabyte A75-UD2H board and that's when it started, so I got a new board, yet it persists! I still cannot boot into BIOS and I know if you have a faulty HDD, it will at least recognize the MoBo first then tell you it can't find the HDD, which spins up fine and works perfectly... The CPU isn't burnt out or anything and I just really can't figure this thing out! If anyone could help me out it would be MUCH appreciated! I want to stop tearing my hair out and get off my sister's computer as SOON AS POSSIBLE! :D Thank you so much!

Edited by Sapiend, 30 June 2012 - 10:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:47 PM

"Can't go into BIOS." <<=
Hi -
From this, do you also mean there is no way into Safe Mode at all ?? Just an opening question -

Thanks -
EDIT - Not listed, but do you mean Win 7 SP1 ??

Edited by noknojon, 30 June 2012 - 07:49 PM.

#3 Sapiend

Sapiend
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:57 PM

I can't go into BIOS as in when I turn the computer on, the monitor display doesn't come on. When I used the Gigabyte board, a white and red screen would show up to go into BIOS, access boot menu ETC. ETC. but it wouldn't even do that. I switched the motherboard and it still won't even boot. I am at a loss for what it could be. I even tried switching out the HDD with another 500GB HDD but the same thing happened - HDD spins up, no monitor display.

TO answer your Windows 7 question, I'm not sure. It is a DVD with pre-activated Windows 7 for HP and Compaq both 32 and 64 bit versions of both. My friend's a computer techy who got me a DVD of it... Custom built comp though.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 30 June 2012 - 10:09 PM

when I turn the computer on, the monitor display doesn't come on.

Do you have a keyboard respond(numlock press/depress) or mobo lights/lit and hard drive activity? Please describe the complete instance you see next time. Thank you.

Edited by jhayz, 30 June 2012 - 10:10 PM.

Tekken

#5 Sapiend

Sapiend
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2012 - 10:23 PM

I get motherboard activity and my hard drive spins up... However, you got me with the keyboard thing. Lights aren't coming on for the LOCK keys, despite everything working perfectly everywhere else... So now the monitor is blank and my keyboarekd isn't being recognized by the USB ports, yet my speakers ARE recognized by the USB ports, as they are USB powered... Still confused here. I turn it on, the HDD spins up, the CPU fan spins up, but no beeps, no start up, no keyboard recognition... I hope I can solve this one. Could it be a faulty PSU?

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2012 - 10:32 PM

At this point you are in a trial and error stage of swapping and using a minimum requirements. Can you just use the PSU and mobo together with the onboard or video card? No RAM, Hard drive or video card(if there is onboard GPU)? Remove the USB speakers.

Tekken

#7 Sapiend

Sapiend
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2012 - 11:24 PM

Everything unplugged except CPU and MOBO... No. They don't work together... So what does this mean?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:40 AM

You've changed motherboards...problem remains...IMO, logical candidates would be the PSU and/or the CMOS battery.

Functionality of the PSU can be verified by temporarily attaching it to a different system...the CMOS battery is a less-than-$5 item that can be acquired just about anyplace selling photo/electronic batteries.

Louis

#9 Sapiend

Sapiend
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2012 - 02:07 PM

I even bought new RAM to insure that it is in fact the PSU or CMOS... Even though I got a brand new MoBo so the CMOS shouldn't be a problem... PSU is last thing.

#10 Sapiend

Sapiend
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:44 PM

Wow... So I bought a new power supply and THAT STILL didn't fix the problem. No boot. monitor stays blank, no recognition of HDD, keyboard or mouse. WHAT IS GOING ON WITH MY COMPUTER? I tried replacing the RAM and MOBO and everything...

#11 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:01 PM

A few questions:

1. How do you know the CPU isn't burned out?
2. Did you make sure that the motherboard supports the CPU?
3. Did you try the motherboard outside the case on a insulating surface?
4. Both power supply wires are connected to the motherboard? 24 pin and 4 pin?

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#12 Sapiend

Sapiend
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:45 PM

I have tried all of this with new and old MoBo (switched between the two trying multiple times, both with minimum set up and with no RAM or HDD attached, still didn't show the MoBo screen on monitor or recognize the keyboard/mouse/monitor.) I returned the new MoBo seeing as I didn't really need it and the new RAM that I bought because I didn't need that either, so now it's a new PSU on the old MoBo with old RAM. I'm sure the CPU isn't blown because it doesn't LOOK physically damaged - burnt, crushed, or otherwise. All the pins are in place and none of them seem to be messed up... Perhaps it IS the CPU but I don't see how that could have happened seeing as I don't overclock.. WAIT a minute... Would a blue screen describing a secondary clock process being interrupted play role to this? I used to get blue screens that said that for awhile... But I thought I fixed that when I updated all the drivers before this whole shebang. My computer was never overclocked or anything... Yet it kept BSODing with that message... I really don't think my processor is messed up, but I'm open minded to any suggestion.

#13 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:09 PM

After further testing, then its either the mobo or processor as the culprit.

Tekken

#14 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:45 AM

I'm sure the CPU isn't blown because it doesn't LOOK physically damaged - burnt, crushed, or otherwise. All the pins are in place and none of them seem to be messed up

They do not usually look damaged. The Old Socket 462 AMDs you could get a feel for overheating, the newer processors physical looks are irrelevant. Excluding bent or broken pins of course. That can not happen to a processor that is in a socket until it is removed.

It would have to get extremely hot to show signs of burning up since the actual processor is under the metal cover that the heat sink comes in contact with.

As a general rule processors do not go bad except for handling damage. There is always the exception of course.

Did you try the motherboard outside the case on a insulating surface?

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#15 Sapiend

Sapiend
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:27 PM

Sad to say I don't have an external insulating surface to do it on... Will a blown processor prevent it from reading the HDD and USB ports on the back? It sounds like this is the biggest culprit, especially because it has it's graphic driver attached to it's main CPU. Le sigh... AMD APUs... I don't have the funds to get a new processor at the moment, but I may soon. I guess I'll just come back here and post if it fixed it or not... Would a blown processor damage anything or is it strictly processor?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users