Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Never Winter Nights Diamond

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 trickydick

trickydick

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 04 March 2006 - 11:06 AM

I installed Never Winter Nights Diamond and it installed fine, but after playing it for maybe 10 - 15 minutes it will freeze up. When I open task manager I get that it is not responding and then I end task and restart the game.
It will go for another little while and do the same thing. Even after rebooting the computer it stilll happens, I sometimes even get that it can't see the disk in the drive.

I was wondering if the fact that there is only approx 15 gigs free on a 40 gig hard drive could cause this.

I have winXP SP2 40gig HD 512mb 32mb graphics card (onboard).

I don't run anything else when I play the game to not tie up any resources.

I am getting upset and before I install new HD and another 512mb of RAM and possibly upgrade videocard, I just want to make sure that this will help.

Should I shut down all the programs I have running in background (ie security AV etc) while I play?

This is an awesome game and I'd love to pay for more than 15 minutes at a time.

Any help is appreciated, and I'm probably going to upgrade anyways, but if I can fix it in the meantime that would be great.

Thanks.
Tricky

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 04 March 2006 - 11:43 AM

I would imagine your problem (unless it is overheating, but then the problem would show when you play other games) would reside in the video card, since 512mb of RAM should be enough to handle it (it was released in 2002), and you have plenty of hard drive space open.
You can certainly try disabling any applications or unneeded programs running in the background, and if there are player options that allow you to change from best graphics, etc., to best performance, to adjust these. If you have not done routine computer maintenance (including scanning for malware and defragging), that might make a difference. Lastly, be sure you have the latest drivers for both your video and audio cards.
Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 04 March 2006 - 11:44 AM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users