Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

TV as 2nd monitor Win XP SP3 help

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 winchester_101

winchester_101

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 30 June 2012 - 06:07 PM

Hello again,

I am running a Dell Optiplex GX60 desktop, with Win XP SP3. I'm using my LCD tv as a 2nd monitor (I'd like to be able to watch YouTube vids, etc on it). The computer has 2 VGA outputs, an onboard and a PCI Nvidia card. I managed to get everything set up so that I have my desktop on the tv (wallpaper only, no icons) and the regular monitor, using the onboard vga output for the monitor and the Nvidia card for the tv. So far, so good.

So, here's where I'm running into a snag....

My regular monitor is configured as my primary display (because the tv and computer aren't side-by-side, they're separated by a wall and connected by a 10' vga to vga cable). I can drag an open window from the primary monitor onto the secondary, but......

How do I view a full-screen video on the secondary (or both) monitors?

For instance, if I'm watching a YouTube (or Windows Media Player) video on the primary monitor, how do I go about sending it to the tv full screen?

I'm hoping this is a simple procedure and I'm just missing something, but a google search was unfruitful.

I'd be perfectly happy if the entire desktop was just duplicated on both displays.

Thanks for any help.

W101

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:57 PM

your setup is whats called "extended desktop". you would have to drag your media player over to the TV and then use a keyboard hotkey to run full screen (painful).
what you want is to "clone" your desktop so that the same thing is on both monitors.
not all video cards/drivers are capable of this. you will have to check your video cards specs.

#3 winchester_101

winchester_101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:23 PM

caperdog,

Thanks for the input. If I can determine that my video card is capable of it, how do I "clone" my desktop onto the 2nd monitor?

Also, I'll look into it, but any idea how I find out for sure if my video card is capable of that?

Thanks

W101

#4 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:21 PM

go to dell site, get spec of machine, download any updates for the video driver.
go to nvidia site, get specs for video card, download any updates for driver/software.

video card software may give you the option to clone, or it may add tabs to windows display settings.
try using each as primary monitor to see if other options appear. try the advanced button in windows display settings to see if the option is in there.

just some ideas. good luck.

#5 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:45 PM

did a little more research and i think you need one video card with two outputs to clone. and not every dual output video card will do it.

not sure if this will work but it is free to try http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users