Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Freezing By Doing Simple Tasks

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 metalNESS

metalNESS

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 04 March 2006 - 10:41 AM

For about a month now my computer has been freezing up on me at random times. I could be burning music to my hard drive or just simply browsing a website. All it takes is the click of a button, pulling up "My Computer", checking my e-mail, or any other normal task. After it freezes I have to shut my computer down improperly by pushing the power button. This is extremely frustrating b/c it erases all my unsaved data (obviously).

I have Windows XP with Norton Anti Virus, Windows Defender, and I have even ran Hijack This and posted it in the forum provided by this site. They said they didn't find any unsafe or unclean files that needed to be erased, nor did Norton or Windows Defender. The forum administrators then directed me to this forum. I have done a defrag, disk clean, and whatever else was listed in the "Slow Computer *Sticky* thread, I even dusted my laptop with extra care and extra cleaner (air duster used the correct way). I'm so baffled as to what could be causing this. Thanks for taking the time to look over my problem. Now letís hope the spell checker button doesn't freeze my computer. :thumbsup:

PS - One more thing. When I say freeze, I don't mean it freezes entirely. I can still perform any task I would like, but it would take me a century to do so. I have even waited to make sure it wasnít just loading time causing the sluggish performance. I took a nap waiting for it once and woke up to see it was still in the same state. I hope I explained this well enough. Thanks again for looking over this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 04 March 2006 - 12:26 PM

I can think of a couple of hardware-related things that could be causing this. Memtest86 is invaluable for checking your memory. Bad memory will cause problems like this as well as worse problems. Another possibility is the processor - could be flawed or overheating. Do you have any way to check your motherboard and processor temps? You may have to use someone else's computer to download and burn Memtest86. It runs independently of the operating system and comes as an iso file, so you need to have burning software that can burn a disk from an iso.

Everest might help you find out your processor and motherboard temperature. They no longer have a free version, but you can download an older version here.

Also, I've seen problems with computers that don't have enough memory - I always recommend 512 mb of RAM for Windows XP.

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2006 - 12:24 PM

The free verison is still available, it is just not supported. Everest Home
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 metalNESS

metalNESS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2006 - 12:30 PM

I can think of a couple of hardware-related things that could be causing this. Memtest86 is invaluable for checking your memory. Bad memory will cause problems like this as well as worse problems. Another possibility is the processor - could be flawed or overheating. Do you have any way to check your motherboard and processor temps? You may have to use someone else's computer to download and burn Memtest86. It runs independently of the operating system and comes as an iso file, so you need to have burning software that can burn a disk from an iso.

Everest might help you find out your processor and motherboard temperature. They no longer have a free version, but you can download an older version here.

Also, I've seen problems with computers that don't have enough memory - I always recommend 512 mb of RAM for Windows XP.

I'll check the temp, although I don't think that is the problem. And I have 512 mb of RAM, so I don't think it is the memory. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into them and post any further questions.

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2006 - 12:32 PM

I think Herk was referring to the condition of the memory not the amount.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2006 - 08:03 PM

Actually, I was referring to the amount of memory, but the condition of it is certainly an important consideration as well. Bad memory will work up to a point, then crash. Memtest86 is really handy to keep around . . .

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 05 March 2006 - 10:56 PM

The last full function freeware version of Everest is version 1.51 available at oldversion.com

#8 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2006 - 12:05 AM

That's odd - I've got version 2.20 and another earlier version 2.01 - at least that's what they look like according to their uninstalled filenames. I've got 2.01 installed on this machine. Aha - you can get 2.20 here.

#9 metalNESS

metalNESS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2006 - 07:53 AM

Actually, I was referring to the amount of memory, but the condition of it is certainly an important consideration as well. Bad memory will work up to a point, then crash. Memtest86 is really handy to keep around . . .

Ok, forgive my ignorance, now that I have the program what do I do?

Edit- I just found this

Device Description
HITACHI_DK23FA-60 (41B697)

ID Attribute Description Threshold Value Worst Data Status
03 Spin Up Time 50 1 1 56 Pre-Failure: Imminent loss of data is being predicted

Edited by metalNESS, 06 March 2006 - 08:25 PM.

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2006 - 02:10 PM

That's odd - I've got version 2.20 and another earlier version 2.01 - at least that's what they look like according to their uninstalled filenames. I've got 2.01 installed on this machine. Aha - you can get 2.20 here.

Version 1.51 still has all the software functions - I believe the later versions do not.

#11 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2006 - 02:14 PM

Imminent loss of data is being predicted

Looks like you need to backup all important data files.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users