Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer behaving suspiciously. Odd error messages and the like.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 AugustAPC

AugustAPC

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 30 June 2012 - 12:09 PM

Hi there. I've been having some trouble with my computer for the past few days. It's quite hard to describe what's going on.

When I boot up my computer, it seems to work okay for a few hours... then it slows down and when I try to open the task manager it gives me an error. At that point, the computer acts as if all it's memory is being used and when I open a window or errors pop up, they have transparent backgrounds or buttons. Also, while in this state, if I try to shutdown, the window is also partially transparent and a weird window pops up when it begins the shutdown. It may have also given a few unresponsive program errors.

I currently have Avast as my primary anti-virus program, and I use Malwarebytes from time to time to scan as a back up. I ran a boot time scan with Avast, which removed one file... but otherwise, no full/quick scans with Malwarebytes or Avast have found any threats. I also ran combofix... which seemed to make things a little better... but I still get errors after the computer has been used for a while.

One last thing to note is that when this first happened and after I rebooted, the standard yellow "windows security update" icon came up, but disappeared before the computer finished booting up. Well... it came back again after a few restarts after virus scanning, and it installed 2 of 3 updates. It said the 3rd could not be installed. When I booted down, it went through the "installing" process prior to shutting off, giving me the standard message "do not turn off your computer or unplug it, it will shut down automatically."

Not really sure what could be the problem here... but I'd greatly appreciate any insight or help that could be provided. Thanks so much!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElFasso

ElFasso

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 30 June 2012 - 12:24 PM

================================== Eset Scanner ==================================

Run Eset online scanner;

Note: You will need to use Internet explorer for this scan - Vista and win 7 right click on IE shortcut and run as admin
Go to the Eset web page to run an online scanner from ESET.

• Turn off the real time scanner of any existing antivirus program while performing the online scan
  • click on the ESET Online Scanner button
  • Tick the box next to YES, I accept the Terms of Use.
  • Click Start
  • When asked, allow the ActiveX control to install
  • Click Start
  • Make sure that the option Remove found threats is unticked and the Scan Archives option is ticked.
  • Click on Advanced Settings, ensure the options
  • Scan for potentially unwanted applications, Scan for potentially unsafe applications, and Enable Anti-Stealth Technology are ticked.
  • Click Scan
  • Wait for the scan to finish
  • Click on copy to clipboard or copy and paste the results here in this topic

#3 AugustAPC

AugustAPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2012 - 01:52 PM

It didn't find any threats. I did not see a log to copy or a button to copy it to the clipboard. Did it save to my computer?

#4 ElFasso

ElFasso

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2012 - 01:53 PM

The log file can be found under: C:\program files\Eset online scanner\

#5 AugustAPC

AugustAPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2012 - 01:56 PM

Hmm, I think I found it. I believe this is the log. I have run this scan before, but it was a long time ago. I think this is the current log.

ESETSmartInstaller@High as CAB hook log:
OnlineScanner.ocx - registred OK
# version=7
# iexplore.exe=8.00.6001.18702 (longhorn_ie8_rtm(wmbla).090308-0339)
# OnlineScanner.ocx=1.0.0.6583
# api_version=3.0.2
# EOSSerial=573393b76a0c3d439971dffe15b5630c
# end=finished
# remove_checked=false
# archives_checked=true
# unwanted_checked=true
# unsafe_checked=false
# antistealth_checked=true
# utc_time=2012-02-28 10:41:32
# local_time=2012-02-28 05:41:32 (-0500, Eastern Standard Time)
# country="United States"
# lang=1033
# osver=5.1.2600 NT Service Pack 3
# compatibility_mode=8192 67108863 100 0 0 0 0 0
# scanned=72978
# found=1
# cleaned=0
# scan_time=3744
C:\_OTL\MovedFiles\02232012_220417\C_Program Files\LP\DF44\A9.tmp a variant of Win32/Kryptik.ABHI trojan (unable to clean) 00000000000000000000000000000000 I
# version=7
# iexplore.exe=8.00.6001.18702 (longhorn_ie8_rtm(wmbla).090308-0339)
# OnlineScanner.ocx=1.0.0.6583
# api_version=3.0.2
# EOSSerial=573393b76a0c3d439971dffe15b5630c
# end=finished
# remove_checked=false
# archives_checked=true
# unwanted_checked=true
# unsafe_checked=true
# antistealth_checked=true
# utc_time=2012-06-30 06:48:11
# local_time=2012-06-30 02:48:11 (-0500, Eastern Daylight Time)
# country="United States"
# lang=1033
# osver=5.1.2600 NT Service Pack 3
# compatibility_mode=8192 67108863 100 0 9738057 9738057 0 0
# scanned=71840
# found=0
# cleaned=0
# scan_time=4298

#6 ElFasso

ElFasso

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2012 - 01:59 PM

The computer doesn't look infected (anymore). Do you experience any issues? If so explain a little bit more. By example: I get an error (give a description the error) or something won't start anymore or ....

#7 AugustAPC

AugustAPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2012 - 02:11 PM

Well, it's been pretty erratic to be honest. I can't quite figure out what triggered the errors if anything, but I know they were consistent with which errors were popping up. Like I said, the computer acted like it was struggling and when I tried to open the Task Manager or Firefox, I would get an error message. I tried to screenshot it, but the computer locked up.

Since this latest reboot, I have not yet experienced any issues as of yet. Windows did seem to successfully install some updates last time I restarted, so may that is a signal that whatever was messing with my computer is gone? It seems odd to me, though. When that yellow shield pops up, does that mean it's just downloading he updates and when you shutdown is that when they install? Because I was getting the errors after I got the updates from the shield icon... but since I restarted, and the updates were installed, I haven't experienced them yet.

Sorry if this is hard to understand... I'm rather confused about it and I'm having a difficult time summarizing what I've experienced.

I'll report back to you whether or not I experience any problems in the next few hours.

Thanks again for your help.

#8 ElFasso

ElFasso

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2012 - 02:17 PM

:thumbup2:

#9 AugustAPC

AugustAPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2012 - 03:22 PM

Everything seems to be working okay. Thanks for your help.

#10 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,011 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:57 PM

I see that you are still experiencing some problems: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic458964.html

To avoid potential confusion, I'm closing this topic.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users