Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mirosoft Will Endsupport For Windows 98 And Windows Me

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Geek-Squad

Geek-Squad

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 04 March 2006 - 09:53 AM

Just wanted to let everyone to know on july 11th 2006 microsoft Will no longer give Security updates Or any fixes for windows 95,98 and Me.... They reccomend you go to xp. If you don't update it by july 11th 2006 what probaly is going to happend is your probaly going to get A.Hacked OR B.Get a virus
Here is the article microsoft released

July 11, 2006 will bring a close to Extended Support for Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and Windows Me as part of the Microsoft Lifecycle Policy. Microsoft will retire public and technical support, including security updates, by this date.

Existing support documents and content, however, will continue to be available through the Microsoft Support Product Solution Center Web site. This Web site will continue to host a wealth of previous How-to, Troubleshooting, and Configuration content for anyone who may need self-service.

Microsoft is retiring support for these products because they are outdated and can expose customers to security risks. We recommend that customers who are still running Windows 98 or Windows Me upgrade to a newer, more secure Microsoft operating system, such as Windows XP, as soon as possible.

Customers who upgrade to Windows XP report improved security, richer functionality, and increased productivity.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 newbeee

newbeee

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 04 March 2006 - 01:48 PM

I'm running WinMe. Should I go into the Windows update catalog now and save all the critical updates to a CD incase I have to do a clean install after July 11? Do I just load them directly to a CD?
thanks, newbeee

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2006 - 11:32 PM

All patches should remain available for download; however, it might be a wise step to download them now and save them to disk, and it would simpify any reinstallation of WinME in the future.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 kohkindachi

kohkindachi

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2006 - 06:57 AM

I'm running WinMe. Should I go into the Windows update catalog now and save all the critical updates to a CD incase I have to do a clean install after July 11? Do I just load them directly to a CD?
thanks, newbeee

how to save?what i saw is jst 'install'.Plz advice thanks

#5 newbeee

newbeee

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2006 - 11:22 AM

If you go to support.microsoft.com and type in KB323166 (upper right corner), it will explain how to get to the catalog and how to save(I'm not to computer savy, that's why I'm having a hard time understanding it :thumbsup:) . When you go to start(from your desk top) open Windows Update, you will see a list on the left, I go into "history" and their is a list of all the updates I've done. I keep a personal history of all thoses updates. You can hi-lite the history and print it, my problem is that I can only get 2/3rds of it, then I add to it by hand. Also, the list on the left is where I set up a link to the Catalog. On the left, Under "other Options" open "Personalize Windows Update" and check "display link to Windows Update Catalog" "save settings".
Now you will see the link displayed under "See Also"
The KB article I mentioned also has links for IE6 sp1 and Windows media Player downloads for Win98 and WinMe.
I'm not sure if I should create a new folder on my hard drive and download from catalog to there and then to CD or if I can download directly to CD. I'll play with it tonight unless John jumps back in and helps us out, please :flowers:
I have a cable connection so it shouldn't take much time. If all goes well, this would help everyone with slowwww connections, they can download all there security/critical/IE6SP1 and Win.Media on a computer with cable connection and have them on CD for their system.
newbeee

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2006 - 08:23 PM

*Jumping in*

I would actually download all of them to a new folder on the hard drive and then save them to CD. I have, for example, all of the updates stored on my second hard drive AND on a couple of disks. Do not forget updates to IE, WMP, etc.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 06 March 2006 - 09:13 PM

Down side of storing them on a hard drive for later use is, if you are infected you cannot be sure the updates are also not infected.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#8 newbeee

newbeee

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2006 - 09:00 AM

Thank you John and acklan for helping. I'm sure this will help bleeping members. :thumbsup:
It certainly helps me. I just know enough to be dangerous :flowers:
thanks again,
newbeee (jerrie)

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 07 March 2006 - 09:58 AM

Thank you John and acklan for helping. I'm sure this will help bleeping members. :thumbsup:
It certainly helps me. I just know enough to be dangerous :flowers:
thanks again,
newbeee (jerrie)

Don't we all. :trumpet:
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users