Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Full upgrades to Windows 8 only from Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 29 June 2012 - 05:14 PM

Computerworld - Microsoft will support full upgrades to Windows 8 only from the three-year old Windows 7, according to a report Thursday.

Yesterday, ZDNet blogger Mary Jo Foley, citing unnamed sources, said that Microsoft has informed select partners of the upgrade paths to Windows 8.

Microsoft has not yet set a release date for Windows 8, but most analysts expect it to go on sale this fall, most likely in October.

Full story: http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9228661/Report_Full_upgrades_to_Windows_8_only_from_Windows_7

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2012 - 05:34 PM

Hi,
Not a huge surprise considering the way that windows 7 upgrades work.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:02 PM

What did people expect to be able to upgrade from? (I don't work on the Windows team, but I can't see why they'd support anything other than 7) Most of what makes Win8 great requires new hardware anyway.

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#4 herg62123

herg62123

• Members
  • 553 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:11 PM

Upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for $39.99

We set out to make it as easy as possible for everyone to upgrade to Windows 8. Starting at general availability, if your PC is running Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7 you will qualify to download an upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for just $39.99 in 131 markets. And if you want, you can add Windows Media Center for free through the “add features” option within Windows 8 Pro after your upgrade.

When you use Windows.com to purchase an upgrade to Windows 8 Pro, the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant makes upgrading simple by walking you through the upgrade process step-by-step from purchase to download and then of course installation.

If you prefer to shop at a local store, a packaged DVD version of the upgrade to Windows 8 Pro will be available for $69.99 during this promotion.

This upgrade promotion for Windows 8 Pro both online and at retail runs through January 31st, 2013.

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b/bloggingwindows/archive/2012/07/02/upgrade-to-windows-8-pro-for-39-99.aspx?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Edited by herg62123, 03 July 2012 - 06:14 PM.

Posted Image

#5 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:31 PM

Herg, this isn't about purchasing upgrade licenses for Windows 8 -- it's about being to do an upgrade install. Win8 will accept WinXP as a suitable "upgrade" candidate for licensing considerations, but will not attempt to maintain settings and such from that OS.

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#6 herg62123

herg62123

• Members
  • 553 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:35 PM

From the same article I posted above.......

It will also inform you of any application or device compatibility issues. It will ask you what you want to keep from your current Windows installation. You will be able to upgrade from any consumer edition of Windows 7 to Windows 8 Pro and bring everything along which includes your Windows settings, personal files, and apps. If you are upgrading from Windows Vista, you will be able to bring along your Windows settings and personal files, and if you are upgrading from Windows XP you will only be able to bring along your personal files. Of course, if you want to start fresh, you can choose to bring nothing along. Or if you prefer to format your hard drive as part of your upgrade experience, you can do so as long as you boot from media and then format your hard drive from within the setup experience for installing Windows 8, not prior to it.

Posted Image

#7 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:49 PM

Which exactly matches the title of the topic -- only Windows 7 users can keep their applications as part of the upgrade. Everyone else must reinstall everything (tantamount to formatting for many users)

Billy3
Posted Image

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,724 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:09 PM

From: http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b/bloggingwindows/archive/2012/07/02/upgrade-to-windows-8-pro-for-39-99.aspx

You will be able to upgrade from any consumer edition of Windows 7 to Windows 8 Pro and bring everything along which includes your Windows settings, personal files, and apps. If you are upgrading from Windows Vista, you will be able to bring along your Windows settings and personal files, and if you are upgrading from Windows XP you will only be able to bring along your personal files.

Bold is mine.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#9 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:22 AM

And if you are upgrading from Windows versions prior to Windows XP,

you will not be able to bring along anything,

including your old, outdated computer.

:)

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#10 herg62123

herg62123

• Members
  • 553 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:41 PM

Thanks Animal for the support
Posted Image

#11 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,724 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:19 PM

:thumbup2: My Pleasure.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#12 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:23 PM

From: http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b/bloggingwindows/archive/2012/07/02/upgrade-to-windows-8-pro-for-39-99.aspx

You will be able to upgrade from any consumer edition of Windows 7 to Windows 8 Pro and bring everything along which includes your Windows settings, personal files, and apps. If you are upgrading from Windows Vista, you will be able to bring along your Windows settings and personal files, and if you are upgrading from Windows XP you will only be able to bring along your personal files.

Bold is mine.

That's no inconsistent with either what I said or what the OP said ;) Windows Vista and earlier cannot keep applications. The "settings" that are brought over are trivial customizations like the desktop background.

Billy3
Posted Image

#13 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,724 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:32 PM

I never insinuated it was inconsistent, Billy. I merely used another writers phraseology so that others reading this may understand. Not all of us are as knowledgeable and trained in the nuances of computerspeak as you are. Sometimes we need things more literal and spelled out more clearly. :)

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it. :whistle:

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#14 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:50 AM

Sorry, I misunderstood :blush:

Billy3
Posted Image

#15 MegaBeet

MegaBeet

• Banned Spammer
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:46 AM

Yup! Upgraded windows 7 works properly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users