Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

i am in desperate need of backup advice and help

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 adi321

adi321

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:47 PM

Hello please could anyone inform me if i am doing my windows 7(home premium and 64 bit Acer Aspire 5733) backup correctly.i'm using the inbuilt backup program from control panel,and i allow windows to pick what to Backup.so i get a system image as well as a full backup.my brother has the exact same computer i do,but he doesn't seem to have my backup problems that i do!.Every time i attempt a backup i get the same error("your backup failed due to an I/O error" always appearing with the same error code) when i clicked on Details/Options.It said to run CHKDSK /R on the source or destination volume then retry the operation.Also we share a 365 GB Seagate Free Agent GoFlex external hard drive for only backing up our Pc's.I did purchase a 4 TB NTFS External hard drive to keep all my backup's on,but even this drive failed when i tried to use it to backup..i believe from googling this also that it's a flaw inside windows 7,and Microsoft is aware of it which will be fixed in their next service pack?? i'm so desperate to get a fully working backup,and i did consider trying another backup program.Acronis True Image or Macrium Reflect,but yet from what i read on a windows forum with my exact problem.it appeared if you can't get the built in backup to work then third party types probably wouldn't either..i'd be eternally grateful for any help or advice regarding my problem,and sorry if i've not made myself as clear as i rally needed to be as i'm new to computing..if of any usefulness then i have included a screenshot of a backup failure and the information given by windows

Edited by adi321, 29 June 2012 - 04:54 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElFasso

ElFasso

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2012 - 03:17 AM

Please try this;

Run CHKDSK /R:
1. Go to Start and then search for cmd. Then run it as Admin, like in the screenshot:
Posted Image
2. Then press enter. A black DOS box will open.
3. In the black DOS box type: CHKDSK /R

Run File checker:
1. Go to Start and then search for cmd. Then run it as Admin, like in the screenshot:
Posted Image
2. Then press enter. A black DOS box will open.
3. In the black DOS box type: sfc /scannow

#3 adi321

adi321
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2012 - 02:28 PM

thanks very much for your help,and i followed your instructional screenshot exactly as you instructed me to..i ran the CHKDSK and it fixed a few bad sector's as well as hiding some non fixable plus corrupt clusters from use.i then again retried to backup to my new external hard disc,but sadly this time i got a different error code 0x80070002. :killcomp:

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 02 July 2012 - 03:20 PM

Try a different method...try using Macrium Reflect Free for the backup.

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

Louis

#5 adi321

adi321
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:04 PM

thanks i will try this program Hamluis,and will let you know if i manage a succesfull backup..thanks too to ELFasso also for his advice im truly grateful to both of you :thumbsup:

Edited by adi321, 04 July 2012 - 04:05 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users