Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Freezing Is Back Again...

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 soloviola7871

soloviola7871

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:19 PM

Well, the freezing is back. And I am now aware that Windows 7 does not only freeze when it is idle; it freezes after being on for a relatively long period of time. I have run chkdsk, defrag, CCleaner, antivirus (online and regular)--pretty much every utility normally and initially used in this situation. Again, it ONLY happens on my Windows 7 installation; it has yet to happen on my Windows 8 installation. A few things that may be worth noting: the antivirus I currently use is BitDefender Total Security, the computer itself is a Toshiba A665-S6070 (this morning I removed most of the bloatware with which it came), and I use a cooling pad. I would still appreciate any and all help! Thanks in advance guys!

Ryan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElFasso

ElFasso

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:57 PM

How many free GB is there on the partition where Windows is on installed?

Run File checker:
1. Go to Start and then search for cmd. Then run it as Admin, like in the screenshot:
Posted Image
2. Then press enter. A black DOS box will open.
3. In the black DOS box type: sfc /scannow

#3 soloviola7871

soloviola7871
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:23 AM

I ran System File Checker, but nothing came up. However, I did receive a message that there were unreported problems on my computer. Upon investigation, this is what I found:

Windows

Problem: Video hardware error
Files that help describe the problem:
WD-20120617-1410.dmp
sysdata.xml
WERInternalMetadata.xml

View a temporary copy of these files
Warning: If a virus or other security threat caused the problem, opening a copy of the files could harm your computer.

Any thoughts on this?

Ryan

#4 ElFasso

ElFasso

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:21 AM

Problem: Video hardware error

I don't think this a software issue...

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,404 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:00 AM

Let's try this.

Download/install BlueScreenView, http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html .

Double-click BlueScreenView.exe file.

When autoscan is done (screen comes up), click Edit/Select All...then File/Save Selected Items.

Save the report as BSOD.txt.

Open BSOD.txt, copy all content and paste it into your next reply.

Louis

#6 soloviola7871

soloviola7871
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:54 AM

Unless I did something wrong, nothing seems to be coming up. I did both the .exe way and the .zip way, but as far as I'm aware, an autoscan didn't happen. It does say that there have been 0 crashes, however, which is definitely not true.

Ryan

P.S. If it is a hardware problem, wouldn't Windows 8 be expected to crash as well?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,404 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:41 PM

A "crash" can be interpreted in many ways...it does not necessarily mean that anything in the way of components was damaged...it indicates that Windows or the specified program has been halted. I have no idea who first called such things a "crash" since "crash" is rather vague in meaning and probably varies from person to person.

Freezing is a general phenomenon caused by any number of things...with overheating and malware being what I consider the two most obvious examples of factors that can result in freezing.

Sooo...to answer your question...what goes on in one O/S on a dual-boot...would only be reflected in all installed O/Ses...if there was a serious problem with certain hardware componenets shared by both O/Ses.

If you have had BSODs and there are no reports...then you either have software installed (like Ccleaner or some registry cleaner) which deletes such files...or your settings are wrong.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/ht/automatic-restart-windows-7.htm

Louis

#8 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:54 PM

If you have had BSODs and there are no reports...then you either have software installed (like Ccleaner or some registry cleaner) which deletes such files...or your settings are wrong.

Those are two possible reasons, Louis, but by no means the only reasons!
  • There are other (and not so uncommon) reasons for reports and crash dumps not to be recorded/saved, one of which is a problem with communication between the Windows system and the hard drive for whatever reason at the time of the crash &/or in the ensuing startup attempt of Windows.
Edit to add missing word and the following ...
Another possible reason is corruption of the actual crash dump so that when Windows attempts to write the .dmp files to the hard drive (and log the crash in the Event log) upon system re-start, the crash dump is simply ignored because it is corrupt resulting in no record at all of the BSOD.

Edited by AustrAlien, 03 July 2012 - 10:07 PM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#9 soloviola7871

soloviola7871
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:33 PM

I do have CCleaner installed, so that's probably the cause of there not being a log. The only other thing that I can think of that is different between the two OS's is that Windows 7 came pre-installed on my computer (Toshiba A665-S6070). They don't make this model anymore, and I'm beginning to think I know why...

I should also mention that I have since switched to a new internal HDD; the Toshiba HDD that came with the computer literally deteriorated within a year and a half. It was wonderful...I would have to run chkdsk on average three times a week. Could this be because of the computer itself? I would hate to see my current drive (Seagate Momentus XT) experience a similar fate.

That all being said, this only started happening a few months ago, well after I switched hard drives. I am also now triple-booting Windows XP, Windows 7, and Windows 8, and still the only OS that I have any trouble with is Windows 7.

[schwarzenegger voice]
What is happening???
[/schwarzenegger voice]

#10 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:12 PM

What is happening???

That is what we need you to tell us!

Louis could have spelled it out for you a little more clearly, but what you need to do is to "disable automatic restart on system failure" and then report what happens.
  • http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/ht/automatic-restart-windows-7.htm
======================
It seems that crash dumps are not being created &/or saved for recent BSODs. It will therefore be necessary for you to record and post details that you see on-screen of the BSOD error messages.

Please disable "automatic restart on system failure":

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#11 soloviola7871

soloviola7871
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2012 - 04:40 PM

Okay. Here's the update: I was so tired of my Windows 7 installation being plagued with Toshiba stuff and other files/junk that has accumulated over time, so I nuked my installation and reinstalled Windows 7 with a clean copy. All was going so well until--you guessed it--it froze again. I ran a memory test and it passed, as well as a short Seatools HDD test, passing as well. I just shut off auto restart on system failure; I'll post back WHEN it happens again.

#12 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2012 - 04:52 PM

... reinstalled Windows 7 with a clean copy.

Exactly how did you go about that and using what exactly to reinstall Windows from (DVD or restore partition for example) on your "Toshiba A665-S6070"?
  • Did you visit the Toshiba website and download all the drivers necessary for that specific model if you used a retail copy of Windows?

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#13 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 373 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 08 July 2012 - 01:20 PM

i see some people reporting problems with the momentus xt disk. i guess the hybrid ssd/hd thing can be problematic.

try testing which firmware you have in the drive with the tool found on this page:
http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/215451en

you might or might not see results from upgrading the firmware..

read a bit more here before you decide to take action:
http://forums.seagate.com/t5/Momentus-XT-Momentus-Momentus/ANNOUNCEMENT-Firmware-SD28-Now-Available/td-p/122074

hth!

TFN

#14 soloviola7871

soloviola7871
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:07 PM

OK. I am completely confused. Here is my current situation with all attempts to alleviate the problem.

I have three operating systems on my computer--two on my Seagate Momentus XT internal drive and one on my Western Digital Caviar Blue external drive that is docked via eSATA. Windows 7 and Windows 8 are on my internal drive while Windows XP is on the external. Windows 7 is the ONLY operating system that freezes after a certain period of time; the others behave perfectly, even Windows 8 which is on the same internal drive as Windows 7. I did install Windows 7 using an install disk I made myself, a disk onto which I manually slipstreamed Service Pack 1--I didn't use RT Win 7 Lite. In terms of programs worth mentioning I have installed on my Windows 7 installation, I have Bitdefender Total Security 2013 installed along with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (there has never been a problem before a few months ago), and TuneUp Utilities 2012. Nothing too out of the ordinary, but I don't think it hurts to mention them. I have the same programs on Windows XP and again, it works like a charm (Windows 8 isn't compatible with Bitdefender--that's why I don't have Bitdefender on Windows 8). I have run System File Checker which returned the existence of corrupted files that couldn't be fixed. I have also run a few chkdsks which came back clean. I cleaned my fan out because I figured it may have been an overheating CPU, but if it were then the other OS's should have been affected as well. I literally have no idea what it could possibly be. Now, with all that said, any thoughts? Suggestions? Your help is appreciated!

Ryan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users