Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GTX460 SE v2 Overheating Problem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DezoLord

DezoLord

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 29 June 2012 - 12:48 PM

Hello.

A few weeks ago I decided to upgrade my PC (which is only 1.5 years old). So I bought a new GFX card - EVGA nVidia GeForce GTX460 SE v2. I ran it with 500W PSU and it fried it (idle: 40C-50C, gaming: 65C-70C+). Fan speed was at 30% but then I increased it up to 40% and that's when my poor 500W PSU blew up.

So I bought a new Corsair GS600 600W PSU, installed it and the GFX card's temps are now 45C (fan speed 30%). Idk what else to do. Could it be a faulty card? I contacted EVGA support team and they told me to re-apply some thermal paste on the gfx card. The problem is that I have no clue where to buy it and how to apply it. I unistalled the nVidia Sound drivers (they had a tutorial) and still the problem is still there.

I am really annoyed right now. I feel like putting my GT430 card back on. Can anybody help me out with this?

My previous post.

EDIT: I just took the side case off of the PC tower and the temps of the GFX card are now at 34%. Before my old PSU blew up, the computer was in a small place under the table. The side of the case have holes for ventilation but that side was blocked by the table. Today I moved the computer to a better open space but for some reason the temps were same/higher. Wth!?

Edited by DezoLord, 29 June 2012 - 12:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 30 June 2012 - 01:25 PM

Hi,

For what it's worth: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=220755.

Regards,
Brooks

#3 DezoLord

DezoLord
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2012 - 02:12 PM

Hi,

Thank you but why did my old PSU blew up?

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2012 - 02:26 PM

Also since leaving the side off lowered the temperatures this would seem to indicate you might want a case fan in the front blowing in and another in the rear blowing out to get air blowing through the case.

Hi,

Thank you but why did my old PSU blew up?

There could be several reasons why the old power supply died.

1. Power surge (Thunder storm)
2. It was wore out.
3. It was overloaded.
and more less common reasons
with reference to the overloaded it should just shut down and refuse to power up. But I have seen some that have a failed part that will let them run under a light load but fail when fully loaded.

After many severe thunderstorms I usually see a computer or two with a blown power supply. Storm damaged.

My own brother always left everything running 24-7 until he had to replace a storm damaged monitor.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 30 June 2012 - 02:27 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 DezoLord

DezoLord
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2012 - 03:38 PM

I have so many fans in my PC now, lol. The PSU one, then the gfx one and the CPU one. There is no space for another fan, I think.

There was no thunder when the PSU blew up, so it definetely wasn't because of that. I think it got too much overloaded when I installed the new GFX card because it was handling GT430 well.

Since people say that if anything below 80C is fine, I will leave everything as it is. I won't waste anymore money on this PC. I might even start saving up for a new custom PC.

I have one more question related to my GFX card. Is it ok to leave the fan speed to 'Automatic'? When the PC is idle (working in Photoshop, Notepad++), the temps go up as high as 45C max and the speed of the fan goes up to 45% (2190rpm) but whenever I start playing games the temps go up to 60C-70C and the speed of the fan goes up to 60%. Is that ok? Or should I just set the speed manually to 30% only and so it won't change when the temps go high? (Lol, I wonder what will happen if I overclock the card. Not gonna do it though).

Oh and the funny thing is that my old PSU actually blew up twice. Lucky the other parts didn't get damaged.

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2012 - 04:18 PM

I would leave it set as is. If you were to lock the fan to 30% whenever you played a game the temperatures would go even higher due to less cooling air.

On automatic the GPU fan speed is related to the temperature of the card. As you play a game the card puts out more heat and the fan needs to speed up. This is by design. Locking the fan can damage the card.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#7 DezoLord

DezoLord
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2012 - 05:01 PM

Thank you very much. :thumbup2: :clapping:

0 user(s) are reading this topic