Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

freezing/restart troubles

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 sparkles327

sparkles327

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 29 June 2012 - 12:35 PM

Oh I hope someone has a solution for me! I'm not sure how to label the problems, but there are four things that happen that may nor may not be related.
I am using a Gateway NV53 laptop, running Windows 7 Home Premium. The trouble began about 2 weeks ago.

1) When I run a virus scan, after about 3-5 minutes of the scan, the screen will turn fuzzy and my laptop will freeze. The only way out is to manually power down. This has also occurred using Silverlight after pausing for a few minutes.
2) When I attempt to install Windows updates or add/remove a program and am prompted to restart my computer, it won't restart. It will log out of windows, get to a blank dark screen and freeze. The indicator lights will remain on, the fan and hard drive will be active, but it will otherwise freeze.
3) When I attempt to uninstall or repair a program, the screen will go blank and freeze, same as in 2) but without selecting restart. (since it freezes when I run a scan, I thought my security suite might be the problem. However, I can't complete an uninstall or repair. I run Comodo full-time, and Ad-Aware periodically)
4) Internet explorer (Vers. 8) and other applications have become painfully slow (this is not a fault of my internet connection, everything works fine on an older desktop and a second laptop). Occasionally opening a window or tab in IE will cause it to freeze as in 1)

Here is what I have tried:

Virus scans (but I can only do a quick scan or else it will freeze, per 1) above)
System restore - back to long before the trouble started
Startup repair - I'm convinced this is useless because it only concludes that it cannot find the problem

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 everready

everready

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:58 PM

Hi,

Try to boot into safe mode and run chkdsk C: /r from an elevated command prompt. Let us know what happens.

Hope this helps.

#3 sparkles327

sparkles327
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2012 - 01:24 PM

I tried to boot into safe mode by pressing F8 at startup. I tried a couple of times, and the computer froze with the fuzzy screen.

Before I could log into windows without any problems. Now I can't get into windows in any mode.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2012 - 01:27 PM

Have you tried any online scans?

Trend Micro HouseCall - Free Online Virus and Spyware Scan - Trend Micro USA - http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

ESET Online Scanner

Louis

#5 everready

everready

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2012 - 02:50 PM

Hi sparkles327,

I suspect you might have a hardware problem, but I suggest you try the following before hardware testing:

Download Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10 here and follow the instructions on the download page as to how to burn a CD to boot the problem computer from.

If you can boot from the CD you create, and perform a complete scan maybe we can get you back into a Windows desktop, and proceed from there.

If the system cannot boot from the CD and complete the scan then we will try testing the memory with memtest and/or hard disk drive with Seagate Sea Tools. Both test are very time consuming test, so try booting from the boot disk and scanning first.

Additionally, I found the following infromation on how to recover your system from the hidden restoration partition if it become necessary:

How do I restore my computer using the eRecovery Management program?

How do I restore my computer using the eRecovery Management program outside of Windows?

Hope this helps.

#6 sparkles327

sparkles327
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:53 AM

I'm sorry for the confusion. I downloaded kasperkey and burned it to cd. When I went to boot from the disk, I missed the moment to enter setup and it went into windows successfully, and then let me boot back into safe mode successfully. So I went ahead and ran the chkdsk C:/r. It replied that it cannot run because the volume is in use by another process and that I could run it on restart. So I ran it on restart and was informed "the file is clean".

I also didn't mention that I do have a dual boot machine and go through GRUB on start up (it automatically goes to Windows if I don't select Ubuntu). I no longer use the other OS and would be happy to remove it if that could be a source of trouble (although I'll need instruction to remove it).

#7 everready

everready

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:23 AM

Hi sparkles327,

I would like to get a look at the chkdsk log please. Open the Event Viewer and navigate to Windows Logs / Application. Then filter on : Source: wininit and Event ID: 1001
Double click this event and select the Copy button on the lower left corner of that dialog. Open Notepad and Paste the results. Please post with the next reply.

So, after running chkdsk is the system still experiencing the symptoms as describe in your first post?

I would still like to have you run the Kasperkey CD, and see if the system can make it through a complete scan. It would be "kind of a hardware test" as well as a good malware scan. Please boot from the CD and scan, then post results with next post.

In reference to your question about removal instructions for grub and the Linux distro, I am certainly no expert on that subject. Hopefully another forum member will come along and help you with that issue. But first lets run the boot CD.

Hope this helps.

#8 sparkles327

sparkles327
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:39 AM

Hi Everready,

Good news first: successful chkdsk scan and results below
Bad news: Kaspersky was not successful. I tried a few times, got through the part where you select graphic or text mode and it begins, but after that, my computer froze up. One time it did the fuzzy screen, the other times it just went blank.
I really appreciate all your help!

Here are the results of the chkdsk:

Log Name: Application
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Wininit
Date: 7/2/2012 11:04:38 AM
Event ID: 1001
Task Category: None
Level: Information
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: LISAADMINISTRAT
Description:

Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Volume label is Gateway.

A disk check has been scheduled.
Windows will now check the disk.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 5)...
212224 file records processed.

File verification completed.
399 large file records processed.

0 bad file records processed.

0 EA records processed.

45 reparse records processed.

CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 5)...
265440 index entries processed.

Index verification completed.
0 unindexed files scanned.

0 unindexed files recovered.

CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 5)...
212224 file SDs/SIDs processed.

Cleaning up 441 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 441 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 441 unused security descriptors.
Security descriptor verification completed.
26609 data files processed.

CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
36574312 USN bytes processed.

Usn Journal verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
212208 files processed.

File data verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
84067363 free clusters processed.

Free space verification is complete.
Windows has checked the file system and found no problems.

397785444 KB total disk space.
61078212 KB in 144752 files.
110220 KB in 26610 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
327556 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
336269456 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
99446361 total allocation units on disk.
84067364 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
00 3d 03 00 6e 9d 02 00 6c e1 04 00 00 00 00 00 .=..n...l.......
ad 0f 00 00 2d 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ....-...........
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................

Windows has finished checking your disk.
Please wait while your computer restarts.

#9 everready

everready

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:06 PM

Hi sparkles327,

Lets test your memory, the follow was taken from a post by AustrAlien ( thanks for the great write up AustrAlien)

Test the memory (RAM).

Memory needs to be tested outside of Windows, so memtest86+ is run from a bootable CD.

To make a bootable CD with memtest86+:

Download the Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip) from near the bottom of the memtest86+ page.
OR ... use the following direct download link: Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)

Extract the downloaded zip file:

Right-click on the zip file and choose Extract all. (Windows XP ... other Windows versions may have different wording.)
The contents of the zip file (the .ISO image file) will be extracted to a folder in the same location as your zip file.

Burn the .ISO image to CD:

When the CD has been burned and verified as successful, it will be bootable.

Boot from the newly created CD.

You may need to configure BIOS or the Boot Menu to boot first from the CD.

memtest86+ will begin running automatically: You need do nothing else at this time.

Allow memtest86+ to run un-interrupted.

See the screenshots in this informative link: Diagnose with memtest86+

There MUST be NO errors what-so-ever:

If you see an error, stop the test.

Then proceed to test each stick of RAM separately to sort the good from the bad.

A minimum test for some confidence in the result, should be 7 full passes (each "pass" is a series of different types of tests), with NO errors.

Allow memtest86+ to run for 24 hours for maximum confidence in the test result.

memtest86+ will continue running until you stop it:

Press the <ESCAPE> key to re-boot the computer, removing the memtest86+ CD.

Reference: Overclockers forums memtest86+ Guide/How To's
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=409152

(End of AustrAlien post, thanks again for the great write up)

Test your memory following the above instructions, and let us know the results. The laptop should have booted from the Kaspersky CD you burned without issue, since it bypasses the installed OS's completely. Just to make sure the Kaspersky CD is bootable, try booting another PC from it and see if it works. I suspect memory as the problem, and memory is cheap.

Hope this helps.

#10 sparkles327

sparkles327
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:08 AM

Hi Everready,

I ran the memtest for 24 hours - it made numerous passes and found no errors.
I tried Kaspersky on my ancient desktop pc and it worked just fine. I tried again on my laptop and after selecting graphic mode, the progress bar appeared and then instead of opening, my screen shut off and everything stopped. I waited quite a while to see if anything would happen but it just stayed in a computer coma. My only recourse was to power down. Could this be virus related?

#11 everready

everready

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:35 PM

Hi again sparkles327,

>>I ran the memtest for 24 hours - it made numerous passes and found no errors.<<

Looks like the memory is just fine then.

>>I tried Kaspersky on my ancient desktop pc and it worked just fine. I tried again on my laptop and after selecting graphic mode, the progress bar appeared and then instead of opening, my screen shut off and everything stopped. I waited quite a while to see if anything would happen but it just stayed in a computer coma. My only recourse was to power down. Could this be virus related? <<

The Kaspersky Rescue Disk is a standalone boot disk, any virus/malware that could be on the laptop is bypassed completely and cannot interfere with the boot disk install and scan. Try running the Kaspersky again, this time in the text mode and let us know what happens. It kind of strange the memtest would run alright, but Kaspersky fails to boot, maybe you got video adapter problems.

If the text mode of Kaspersky doesen't work, then try a hard driver test.

( thanks to AustrAlien for the following great write up )

Test the hard drive.

Please download SeaTools for DOS (CD) from Seagate's SeaTools for DOS web page Click on the downloades tab below Seatools, and select SeaTools for Dos and select correct operating system from drop down at right. The downloaded filename SeaToolsDOS223ALL.ISO is the most recent

Burn the downloaded .ISO image to a CD using the appropriate burning software.

Boot from the CD.
(You may need to access the BIOS Setup Menu or the Boot Menu and change the boot order to enable booting from CD before hard drive.)

•From Basic tests on the Main Menu, run the Short test and then the Long test.

The long test will take some considerable time to complete.
The results will be shown as either a PASS or FAIL.
There is a chance that during the Long test, you may be offered the opportunity to attempt repairs on the hard drive:
If so, go ahead and attempt to do so, but ONLY after backing up all important personal files.

Please let us know the results of the tests.

(End of AustrAlien post, thanks again for the great write up, saves me a lot of typing)

Hope this helps

Edited by everready, 05 July 2012 - 01:36 PM.

#12 sparkles327

sparkles327
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:26 PM

Hi Everready,

Kaspersky sort of worked in text mode(I previously tried both modes and it froze repeatededly, so I have no idea why it worked this time) and it opened up into a menu to select an OS (windows setup, windows 2, windows 3). I selected windows 2 and it opened into another menu where I selected "scan all". This was all great for about 3 minutes, then mid scan everything froze up. So I powered down and tried it again. The second time it froze up at the select an OS screen. Kaspersky worked just fine on my old desktop, which also has a dual boot, but is it possible the dual boot is causing trouble?

I tried to run Seatools and ran into trouble. It passed the short test but as soon as I selected the long test, the screen froze fuzzy and then it began beeping. The only way out was to power down. I tried it again with the same result. I then tried it on the old desktop and it worked just fine for both tests.

Everything is backed up with Carbonite, would it be best to just wipe everything and start fresh?

#13 everready

everready

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:10 AM

Hi again sparkles327,

>>Kaspersky worked just fine on my old desktop, which also has a dual boot, but is it possible the dual boot is causing trouble?<<

Both boot disks bypass the laptop disk compleatly including the Grub boot loader on disk and load into memory. The dual boot setup should not make any difference. I still do not understand why memtest ran, but Kaspersky will not.

See if you can boot into windows safe mode or normal desktop and try looking in the device manager under Display adapters . Do you see a exclamation mark or X next to the adapter?
Also try to select display adapter properties and look to see if the device is working properly under the general tab?

Additionally you can try Diagnosing basic video problems with DirectX Follow the write up at the link provided.

>>Everything is backed up with Carbonite, would it be best to just wipe everything and start fresh?<<

It is an option, but if you have hardware problems a clean reinstallation will have problems as well. We have ruled out memory, and a chkdsk was ran sucessfully. So that leaves hard drive or display adapter as possible points of failure . We might be looking at a Display adapter driver problem and in that case a simple drive update could fix the problem. Anyway, look in device manager and the DirectX text to see what you can find. I gave you links in an earlier post on reinstallation from the restore partition.

Hope this helps.

#14 sparkles327

sparkles327
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:07 PM

Hi Everready,

After giving my computer a few days off, I was able to get back into windows.
I looked into device manager and everything in there is working properly - no exclamation marks or "x"s next to anything
I tried directx and everything checked out there too.
Should I just continue to use my computer as normal? will I do any harm by powering down if it freezes?

#15 everready

everready

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:43 AM

Hi again sparkles327,

Since you got backups you are alright as far as data goes. Still, something is wrong hardware wise in my opinion, and probably will give you problems again down the road.

>>Should I just continue to use my computer as normal? will I do any harm by powering down if it freezes?<<

If you mean you can do a normal shutdown when it freezes then probably you could live with that in the short term. But if you have to hold down the power button till it shut down, that is only going to cause more problems.

Sorry I could not be of more help, maybe another forum member will come along and give you more help. I am out of ideas.

Hope this helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users