Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory Issues

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 anjulZ

anjulZ

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:48 AM

Dell Opti Plex GX260 Says it takes PC3200 There is 2 small sticks of memory that when removed the puter wont boot, just beeps. It looks to me like there are 4 slots in there altho they dont line up in a row. The other 2 sticks look like they are more memory but the bel arc advisor is not showing but 512 ram...I know that when you have slower memory in thats what the puter will use, but i did think it would show. Is there something else those sticks could be? They appear to me to be high density sticks. Im not a novice but...am confused...I ordered what the advisor told me to & now Im lookin like an idiot to this dude...lol help i need some suggestions please

edited to add the service tag 9020N121

Edited by anjulZ, 29 June 2012 - 10:57 AM.

"Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. Today in the town of Bethlehem a Savior has been born to you; He is Christ the Lord."
Let us all remember the reason for this season!
May God bless You at least half as much as He has me!
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:39 AM

The memory site I looked at says it takes PC2700
That may be the problem.

What Belarc said may be wrong. I always visit major memory sellers sites and see what they show.

Any markings on the other two sticks. If they look like high density, there are some PC3200 floating around that look like that and are only compatible with some systems.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 anjulZ

anjulZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2012 - 12:07 PM

the smaller sticks have 2 notches close together. when i did an image search for the pc2700 it doesnt look like that. they are only about an inch wide too. when i remove those smaller sticks it wont boot so i have not really paid attn to the larger sticks, i did assume they were memory...assume....sigh

That sounds like RDRam. Do they have a metal shield on them.
Do they look like the picture here?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RDRAM
RDRAM memory with integrated heat spreader

If so then do the other two look like the picture of: A Rambus continuity RIMM (CRIMM), also known as terminator or dummy

Are you sure it is a GX260?

Please post the markings from one of the memories.

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 29 June 2012 - 12:21 PM.

"Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. Today in the town of Bethlehem a Savior has been born to you; He is Christ the Lord."
Posted Image

#4 anjulZ

anjulZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2012 - 12:42 PM

thats the notches i think but no metal plating, look very....basic. green in color, very thin. im at work not with the pc...or id take a pic.
did a search go here
Im wondering now if its just a gx260 tower...
edited to say thats what both sticks look like

Edited by anjulZ, 29 June 2012 - 12:42 PM.

Posted Image

#5 anjulZ

anjulZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2012 - 12:43 PM

what markings do you want? all writing? he is there at the house & can look but might b a min
Posted Image

#6 anjulZ

anjulZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:23 PM

So I hafta put the same ram back in right? do they make it anymore? lol he is only showing 512mb can i get him up to a gig at least? guess we need to know what kind of MB it has now...sorry...feel so stupid
Posted Image

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:40 PM

OK that pins it down.

RDRam for sure if it looks like the images you posted.

The only actual memory is the ones with the metal shield, The other two green ones are continuity rimms.

If you think of RDram as being like the old Christmas tree lights where if one bulb burned out they all stopped working you would be right. All 4 slots have to be filled for the computer to detect any memory.

did you notice the picture you posted had markings of 800-45

the markings on the ones in the computer, That is what you would have to match to add more.

they could be different. And they two you add also have to be the same size too.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#8 anjulZ

anjulZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:37 PM

koolio ty rog
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users