Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Safest Method of Deleting Files?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Salv

Salv

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:48 AM

Hi

I recently got a new system and I'm trying to keep it as clean as possible. Unfortunately, some applications leave unnecessary files behind and generally I'm cautious about deleting them in case they interfere with other programs. For example, I quickly tried SpeedFan out earlier today yet speedfan.sys remains in C:\Windows\SysWOW64.

I'm wondering if there are any programs (perhaps CCleaner?) that will handle this kind of irrelevant file if it is safe for them to do so?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:20 AM

I presume you uninstalled the program rather than just deleting it?
My process for that is simple, I rename the folder first and see what effect that has the next couple of days.
I tend to be cautious.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Salv

Salv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:37 PM

I presume you uninstalled the program rather than just deleting it?
My process for that is simple, I rename the folder first and see what effect that has the next couple of days.
I tend to be cautious.

Roger

Yep, standard uninstall and a search for 'speedfan' on C: returns that one remaining item. I presume you mean file and not folder? (since the WoW64 folder appears to be a key component in running 32 bit programs on 64 bit Windows)

Edited by rotor123, 29 June 2012 - 02:44 PM.
OOps

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:43 PM

Sorry I should have been more clear, if it is a folder called for example speedfan I rename it.
If it is a file under a different folder such as WoW64 then I rename the file.

It wouldn't hurt to have a restore point from just before you make the change too.

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 29 June 2012 - 02:44 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 Salv

Salv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2012 - 03:36 PM

Sorry I should have been more clear, if it is a folder called for example speedfan I rename it.
If it is a file under a different folder such as WoW64 then I rename the file.

It wouldn't hurt to have a restore point from just before you make the change too.

Roger

No worries, that's not a bad idea at all. I'll test it out, thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users