Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Secunia PSI 3.0 has just been released

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 29 June 2012 - 09:06 AM

This arrived in my e-mail inbox this morning, thought I'd share. :) I haven't installed it yet, I'd be interested to hear from those who have :wink:

We just wanted to let you know that Secunia has released the final version
of Secunia PSI 3.0, featuring a new and simplified interface, more
automated updates, multiple languages (English, German, Spanish, French
and Danish), as well as a lot of other improvements that we hope you will
like.

You can download the new version here (it is of course still available for
free):
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal/

And if you want a quick product tour see the PSI video on Youtube:

If interested you can also read the full press release here:
http://secunia.com/company/blog_news/news/319/

We hope you will like the new version.

Stay Secure,

Secunia

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:58 PM

OK I installed it. As with the previous version, it will update most programs automatically. And it did that after I installed it. The systray icon was red and said there were programs that needed to be updated. And then I looked at it again and the icon was green, meaning it's up to date. Through all this I was having trouble with Chrome and an uninstall and reinstall seems to have done the trick. It's working a lot better. Do Secunia did it's thing while I was preoccupied with that. Secunia has certainly come a long way since I started using it several years ago.

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 29 June 2012 - 08:19 PM

I'm still using 1.0. 2.0 doesn't play nice on my computer. Scans take forever or hang. I love Secunia, but I don't trust the upgrades. YMMV.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2012 - 09:21 PM

Just updated to 3.0 on 7 VM.... I was like... Where's the rest? A HUGE step backwards IMHO. Add me to the (rapidly) growing list of dissapointed users:

Forum Thread: PSI 3.0 Huge Disappointment http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/12848/psi_3_0_huge_disappointment

v3 does not offer:

choice of Simple Mode or advanced Mode
alphabetical detailed list of the scan results (Icon only, blecccchhh!)
ability to pause/stop a scan
relevant details are missing
no link to Secunia Advisories
MANY programs missing
no option to schedule a scan
v 3.0 "Dumbed Down" WAAAAAAY too much
(Too) much more....

Switching back to v 2.0 in 5...4...3....

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,539 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:26 PM

I definitely won't be installing the latest. Also correction on the version I am currently using. It is version 1.5.0.2

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#6 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2012 - 02:13 PM

I'm still using 1.0. 2.0 doesn't play nice on my computer...Also correction on the version I am currently using. It is version 1.5.0.2

Now that you mention it v 2.0 acted a little "funny" on my 64 bit 7 from the git-go... I've searched the Netz hi & low for a ver 1.5.0.2 installer, but no dice :angry: I was forced to stick with 2.0 or uninstall--which is no option at all.

Do you or anyone else know where I can grab a copy of Secunia 1.5.0.2 ??? I'd appreciate it very much. :)

Edited by Union_Thug, 30 June 2012 - 02:16 PM.

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,539 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2012 - 02:34 PM

Several are here: https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&rls=en&q=Secunia+psi+1.5.0.2+download&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#8 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2012 - 03:49 PM

Several are here: https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&rls=en&q=Secunia+psi+1.5.0.2+download&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Nope
. First thing I did, same search term. They all say ver 1.5, but link to latest (3.0) ver d/l. Secunia d/l page has link to 3.0 & only old ver available is 2.0. A quick search of the Secunia forum turns up several requests for 1.5.0.2, no cigar... no FTP and/or archive to be found...:(

Thanks anyway. :)

Edited by Union_Thug, 01 July 2012 - 04:36 AM.

#9 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,539 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2012 - 09:21 PM

Sorry about that. I should have at least checked a few links. Unfortunately I didn't save a copy of the download when I reinstalled after the 2.0 debacle.

I'll keep looking for a copy.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#10 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,993 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2012 - 01:18 AM

In the topic Union Thug linked to in post 4, a post by Maurice Joyce contains direct download links to the older versions of Secunia PSI. I've downloaded but not installed the one for version 1.5.0.2 and checked the properties of the install file. It is indeed the one for version 1.5.0.2.

Link to direct download for that version is: http://secunia.com/PSI1Setup.exe

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#11 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2012 - 04:09 AM

Thank you for pointing that out, OB! :thumbup2: The answer was right there all along...in the link I posted :crazy: Another U_T moment

Thanks, you guys are the best!

#12 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,891 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:26 AM

I too downloaded and installed v3.0 and had problems with it at first. These turned out to be mainly setting firewall permissions plus my - currently awful - internet connection. Every time I tried to run it it hung at the 'Loading ' page.

However, now it is operating properly. I agree, I don't like the new interface - I don't like big icons - but it is doing the same job and, as far as I can see, the information is there. It is perhaps just a little harder to dig into.

Changing phone and broadband supplier next week so can only hope for an improvement in my internet connection !

Chris Cosgrove

#13 saint satin stain

saint satin stain

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 16 July 2012 - 11:48 AM

I was surprised at first to 3.0.0.2003, but it seems okay. It works. I like the simplicity. But I also like redundancy, I also use Update Checker from FileHippo. I dont worry much about my browsers, seven of 'em, because I use each of them almost every day, so their built in update mechanisms have a chance to work. I stopped email delivery of the advisories because I click update for each app as I use it, Update Checker from FileHippo, PSI, and auto updates from Microsoft. I know some distrust Microsoft, but I have ERUNT in case of bad update.

I know some here complain that they can't micromanage the new PSI, but I like the simplicity. I want to do my work, not micromanage the update process. I have redundant security and backup. I rarely have to intervene, maybe three or four times a year, this year so far none.

Does the new PSI work? I dont mean, satisfies your urge to have hands on, to micromanage, but does it work?

saint satin stain
Responsible for what I say,
not for what you understand.
www.leftinalabama.com

#14 S3cS3arch3r

S3cS3arch3r

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 16 July 2012 - 03:21 PM

I'm running 3.0 on 3 different systems for over a week now;
Yeah there are some minor bugs (fact, and I especially hate the "manual update needed" bit), it looks awful (personal opinion) and is even less responsive then 2.0 (my personal experience), BUT:

For the average end-user (the target-audience in the first place) it IS simplified and way more manageable.
No longer a need to give instructions for PSI, just run the installer and you cannot possibly mess it up anymore.

Maybe they should publish a different 'basic' and 'advanced' version, or 'end-user' and 'power-user'???
Till then it's going to keep many user better up to date though, that's worth something!

\0/
-Sec

#15 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,891 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:00 PM

I still don't like the large icons, but that is just a matter of taste as much as anything else. However, I have discovered that it doesn't seem to play nice with ZoneAlarm.

For the last three or four days I have been getting notifictions at boot that ZA needed updating. PSI was showing everything up to date, and, after opening the ZA panel and clicking on 'Update' - which told me I was up to date - I made the time this morning to go onto the Checkpoint site and seek the new installer.

After an attack of the stupids and the install of the wrong product ( followed by a rapid un-install ! ) I got the correct product installed, and my warning flags at boot have disappeared. PSI is still telling me I am fully up to date. Oh well. I think I will copy the text of this to Secunia and Checkpoint.

It seems to work properly with everything else though.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users