Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP sp3 Will Not Allow File Deletion

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dwainw

dwainw

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 29 June 2012 - 08:18 AM

I have been lurking at bleepingcomputer for years, and the excellent info here has helped me solve a number of issues on my computers in the past. But this is the first time that I have not been able to find a solution here without actually asking a question, so here goes:

I have an install of XP Home Service Pack 3 running on a Dell D630 laptop, with the latest avast! Internet Security. Most everything works as it should, with no speed problems, suspicious network activity or difficulty running programs. However, recently I lost the ability to move or delete files in all folders on the hard drive. I can move and delete in Safe Mode, but have no control in normal mode. In normal mode I can open, create or modify files without a problem using a variety of programs, just not move or delete. The error I get is the 'Access Is Denied, Check to See if Hard Drive is Full Or Write Protected, and File Is Not In Use' message.

Also Microsoft update and Firefox update do not work, but avast and Malwarebytes do.

My logon has administrator status, and I have confirmed that I have ownership of the files, either as a user or administrator. I have tried reestablishing ownership through safe mode just to be sure. Suspecting my user profile to be corrupt, I have created a fresh one with the same results. I have run all the scans from avast, Malwarebytes, and MS Safety Scanner with no threats found.

I'm not sure where to proceed from here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by dwainw, 29 June 2012 - 08:22 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElFasso

ElFasso

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 29 June 2012 - 08:38 AM

I should try one more scan to be sure;

================================== Eset Scanner ==================================

Run Eset online scanner;

Note: You will need to use Internet explorer for this scan - Vista and win 7 right click on IE shortcut and run as admin
Go to the Eset web page to run an online scanner from ESET.

• Turn off the real time scanner of any existing antivirus program while performing the online scan
  • click on the ESET Online Scanner button
  • Tick the box next to YES, I accept the Terms of Use.
  • Click Start
  • When asked, allow the ActiveX control to install
  • Click Start
  • Make sure that the option Remove found threats is unticked and the Scan Archives option is ticked.
  • Click on Advanced Settings, ensure the options
  • Scan for potentially unwanted applications, Scan for potentially unsafe applications, and Enable Anti-Stealth Technology are ticked.
  • Click Scan
  • Wait for the scan to finish
  • Click on copy to clipboard or copy and paste the results here in this topic

Do you have had (in the past) an infection?

What you can do, is take Ownership about the files.
More info on Microsoft: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&Product=winxp

Edited by ElFasso, 29 June 2012 - 08:42 AM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2012 - 09:01 AM

What you describe normally pertains to certain files/folders...not every folder.

I'm not sure why it happens...only that it does happen. When it does, I just use Unlocker to remove the file/folder.

Since your situation seeemingly relates to all files...I would try running the chkdsk /r command on the partitions. Start/Run...type chkdsk /r and hit Enter. Type Y in new screen, hit Enter. Reboot the system. The chkdsk /r command will run...upon completion, system will boot into Windows.

Have you received any boot-time messages indicating that a temporary profile had to be used?

Louis

#4 dwainw

dwainw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:41 PM

Strange. After weeks of fiddling, researching and fiddling some more, chkdsk /r may have actually fixed this. I was victim of the east coast derecho, so I did not have power for 3-1/2 days, but the system seems to be working properly now. I never would have guessed...

Thanks ElFasso and hamluis for your speedy responses. I'm once again endebted to bleepingcomputer.com.

-dwainw

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:33 PM

Glad to hear that you have resolved it...happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users