Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

File Transfer Fat32 To Ntfs

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 phantazy

phantazy

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 04 March 2006 - 05:08 AM

I'm new to Fat32, and at work have been asked to transfer 400Mb audio files in mp3 format from old Dell Optiplex Pentium 3 with XP pro in Fat32 to new IBM Thinkpad with XP pro in NTFS. Neither on a network apart from internet dial-up. I imagine this won't work, even setting up ethernet crossover, without doing the extra onto Cd-rom. Am I right? Thanks for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 04 March 2006 - 12:37 PM

If you have USB ports, you can use a thumb drive. Those are pretty big files. But it doesn't matter which format they're in. You can copy files from an NTFS to a Fat32 or vice-versa. If you don't have a large thumb drive (I use a 512mb) you can burn them to CD. I don't know why you couldn't use a crossover cable and share the files. If you have access to cable-making equipment, it's a simple matter to make a crossover cable. I always tape a label on the cable to make sure no one tries to use it as a patch cable. Otherwise, you can buy crossover cables.

#3 Cyclica

Cyclica

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 04 March 2006 - 01:37 PM

Ah Herk says, file system is not a concern if you are tranferring files using a network connection or a removable device.

And from what I understand, since XP is installed in both systems, you could also take the hard disk out of the old system or vice-versa (although it's not advisable) and you'll have no problems reading your files because XP can "understand" both file systems.

#4 phantazy

phantazy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 04 March 2006 - 11:49 PM

Thanks for tthe replies. I have got a crossover cable and will try with Files and Settings Transfer, enabling 'share this folder'.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users