Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Audio crackling in game (DPC latency)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Callumj6

Callumj6

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 28 June 2012 - 05:51 PM

Hello,

Recently the sound from my speakers has started to crackle when I am in a game and also when a UAC window pops up. I have used DPC Latency Checker and seen that when the audio crackles, the latency is very high. This screenshot shows the results of a UAC window popping up and being closed at the point when the bars are red.

I was hoping it would resolve when I re-installed windows 7 and updated my drivers but the crackling still persists.

By checking DPC latency when some devices were disabled in Device Manager one by one, I noticed that without my graphics card (nVidia GeForce GTS 250 512MB) driver installed, the audio crackling and latency was gone. (Screenshot)

Obviously this can't be a permanent solution. Any ideas?
Cheers.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:27 AM

Well...I would not draw a correlation between video drivers...and sound...but stranger things happen daily.

In any case, have you tried reinstalling same drivers anew?

Or uninstalling your audio drivers and then reinstalling same?

Of course...your speakers could be the problem.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 29 June 2012 - 10:28 AM.

#3 Callumj6

Callumj6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:17 AM

Hi Louis,

I have tried reinstalling the graphics and audio drivers manually by downloading them from the websites (nVidia and Realtek) and also by letting windows automatically install them. In both cases the audio crackling still persists.

When I am just listening to music the audio is fine and also the same problems occur when I use a headset which suggests it is not the speakers.

Also, I've noticed the audio crackling when I watch videos.

I believe the graphics driver might be conflicting with something which causes the latency but I'm not sure. Any diagnostic tests I could run would be good. I'll try latencymon and see what it shows.

Thanks.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,395 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:05 PM

I'd try the big FixIt resource, Microsoft Fix it Center Online - http://fixitcenter.support.microsoft.com/Portal/GetStarted .

Louis

#5 Callumj6

Callumj6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:48 PM

I've had a look at http://support.microsoft.com/mats/AudioPlayback/en-us but it doesn't fix anything.

I've also quickly monitored the system while a UAC window pops up (when the audio crackles) using LatencyMon and this is a screenshot of the drivers highest execution time.
nvlddmkm.sys, ataport.sys, and hal.dll all at almost 52ms.

Edit: the conclusion reads

Your system appears to be having trouble handling real-time audio and other tasks. You are likely to experience buffer underruns appearing as drop outs, clicks or pops. One or more DPC routines executed by a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. Also one or more ISR routines executed by a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. Also your system appears to be having trouble which may be attributed to SMIs, IPIs, CPU bugs or unexplainable stalls. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates.
LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for 0:00:16 (h:mm:ss) on all processors in the system.

Edited by Callumj6, 29 June 2012 - 01:51 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,395 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2012 - 11:29 AM

FWIW: I wouldn't put a lot of faith in the tool (LatencyMon) that you are using...I tend to be suspicious of a company that puts out tools that I consider "fluff" (all show, no go). Looking at the lineup...better tools seemingly already exist...and they don't require an email address in order to download "free" versions.

The info reported by that report merely points to driver problems...which would be the logical opinion sans all the rhetoric produced within the report.

I'm skeptical of the value of the report, it's my nature :).

Louis

#7 Callumj6

Callumj6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2012 - 09:09 PM

I have also scanned using Windows Performance Tools Kit when follwing this guide.

This graph shows a DPC lag spike at the moment a UAC window pops up (when launching Speccy in this case). Looking at the summary table shows nvlddmkm.sys again as the source of the delay.

I don't know where to go from here. :(

Also, I didn't need to enter an email address for LatencyMon, it is optional for news updates :)

Thanks.

#8 Callumj6

Callumj6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:47 PM

I'm not exactly sure what the problem was but it is now resolved! I decided to remove my gfx card and use my onboard graphics. As expected that worked without problems but after cleaning my gfx card and pci-e slot then installing it, it now works without noticeable latency.

Thanks anyway.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,395 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:34 AM

Feedback appreciated, glad you resolved it...happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users