Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help To Install GS600 & GTX460

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DezoLord

DezoLord

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:26 AM

Hello.

Can anybody please help me to install Corsair GS600 and GTX460 SE v2 on my ASUS M4A78LT-M Motherboard?!

I just got a new PSU and I have no idea where to plugin all the cables and I've no clue how to install the GTX460. (Last time I installed it on 500W PSU and it blew up. Probably connected the wrong cables).

Corsair GS600 + ASUS M4A78LT-M Motherboard + GTX 460 SE v2

There are so many cables! So confusing! Please help!

EDIT: GTX460 has 2 6-pin connector cables that came with it but the PSU already has these cables built-in, does that mean that I don't have to use the cables that came with the gfx card?

Edited by DezoLord, 28 June 2012 - 03:35 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:05 PM

If you did not unhook the old power supply then it is easy.

1. Take a picture of the power supply wiring from several angles.
2. Unscrew the old power supply and leave it hooked up. Support it so it isn't hanging on the wires.
3. Set the new power supply in place and replace the screws.
4. Unplug one plug at a time and replace it with the exact same plug from the new power supply.

Do not put a 6pin plug marked PCI-e or PCIe into the motherboard, it only goes to the Video, if needed.
The Motherboard needs a 4Pin at the top and a 24pin at the front of the board.
It looks like that motherboard has built-in video try and see if you get viseo with that first.
It looks as if that card could need two 6 pin PCI-e plugs. Put them in and
Test and see if you get video

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 28 June 2012 - 04:07 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 DezoLord

DezoLord
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2012 - 05:42 AM

Lol, I unplugged all the cables from the old PSU and didn't memorize where everything was and plus my old one didn't have so many cables as the new one does! :crazy:

Anyway, I took screens of my PSU cables and motherboard.

This is the motherboard.
Spoiler

HDD and 24-pin
Spoiler

This is where I got confused. The motherboard has 24-pin connector as you can see on the previous screens. The cable from the PSU has 20-pin and 4-pin but they're disconnected from each other. Does that mean I have to connect them together to make 24-pin and then connect it to the motherboard, correct?
Spoiler

What are these cables for? Where do I have to plug them in? I have 2 separate cables like that coming out of PSU.
Spoiler

I presume these are PCI-E cables, correct? I have 2 of these cables (separate) coming out of the PSU. What do I do with these?
Spoiler

Idk what this cable is and where it goes. I have 2 of them.
Spoiler

Another cable. (x1)
Spoiler

Cables that came with GTX460. Do I have to use them?
Spoiler

This is the back of the GTX460 SE v2.
Spoiler

So can you please help me out. I have no idea where to plugin all this cables from the PSU and GPU. Thanks in advance.

Edited by DezoLord, 29 June 2012 - 05:43 AM.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2012 - 09:50 AM

This is where I got confused. The motherboard has 24-pin connector as you can see on the previous screens. The cable from the PSU has 20-pin and 4-pin but they're disconnected from each other. Does that mean I have to connect them together to make 24-pin and then connect it to the motherboard, correct?

Since you need a 24 pin you connect them together.

What are these cables for? Where do I have to plug them in? I have 2 separate cables like that coming out of PSU.

Those are the power plugs for the SATA drives such as the hard drive in your one picture. Take note of the key on the drive and cable and make sure they are lined up.

Idk what this cable is and where it goes. I have 2 of them.

That one the 6 +2 should have markings on them they look like they are the PCI-e for the video card.

Another cable.

This 8 pin is a 4 + 4 cable. It comes apart to make a 4 pin to go on the motherboard at the top to the rear of the CPU, The one you circle with a question mark. You need to look at them and decide which one matches the motherboard, they have square and circular on one side pins that you need to match up to the motherboard.

Cables that came with GTX460. Do I have to use them?

They are there to convert from the four pin power to PCI-e for the video card. Since you have two on the power supply they are not needed.

This is the back of the GTX460 SE v2.

Just to be safe make sure that plugs match when you plug them in. Notice that 3 pins are square and 3 have a arch on one side. Make sure the plugs match up just as a double check.

I find it hard to believe that the plugs have no markings, nor does the box have a illustration on it, or a sheet of paper showing what the plugs are for, however, it is what it is.

If it was my computer I would only hook up the two plugs to the motherboard and without the video card see if I got video on the monitor and then go from there.

Be careful not to mix up the 4 + 4 (CPU Power) and the 6 + 2 (2 of them)

Good Luck
Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 DezoLord

DezoLord
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2012 - 12:19 PM

Thank you very much for your help. I plugged everything in and everything seems to be fine except that GTX460 SE v2 is still kinda overheating. When it's idle, its temps are 41%-46%. Idk wth is wrong with it. I am afraid that the PSU will fry again.

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2012 - 12:29 PM

Glad it is all working, Video card temperatures should not effect the power supply.

Is the air coming out of the power supply hot or warm.

You might want to start a new post about the graphics card temperatures. You could post a link to these messages in it for reference.

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#7 DezoLord

DezoLord
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2012 - 12:50 PM

The air coming out of the PSU is pretty warm but not cold or hot.

I started a new topic HERE.

You can lock this thread if you want. :)

Edited by DezoLord, 29 June 2012 - 12:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users