Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mouse works sporadically and disconnects; touchpad doesn't work at all.

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Marcilynn

Marcilynn

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:15 AM

I have a Toshiba Portege laptop that's about 5 years old. I'm running Vista on it.

A year or two ago, the touchpad stopped working - it just didn't respond anymore. The light above it also went off. Before it stopped working, it started malfunctioning (the cursor would jump all over the screen, etc.) It was annoying but I switched over to a wireless mouse and made do. After several months of not working, it suddenly started working perfectly again. That lasted for a while and then it quit again. The same thing happened again recently, only this time it only worked for a week or so before the light once again went off and the touchpad stopped responding.

I wouldn't be too concerned about that except now I'm having issues with my mouse. The wireless mouse became a bit difficult to control. I tried replacing the battery but it didn't help. I switched to a different mouse and it worked for a while, but then it stopped responding as well. I tried a third one - same thing. It progressively got worse and now it's at the stage where it disconnects multiple times per minute. I also sometimes get a message that's something to the effect of "the USB device has malfunctioned/is not recognized."

Quite often the red light on the underside of the mouse isn't on, indicating that it isn't getting power. Sometimes, though, the red light is on and the mouse still won't respond. The only way I can get power is by wiggling the cord and pressing it tightly against the USB port, but as soon as I remove the pressure or move even the slightest bit, it stops responding again.

Things I've tried with respect to the touchpad issue:
Reinstalling Synaptics touchpad driver (and yes, I made sure it was the correct 64 bit, Vista-compatible version)
Removing the battery, unplugging the machine and pressing the power button (something I read about on a troubleshooting site)

Things I've tried with respect to the USB/mouse issue:
Plugging the mouse into a different USB port - same issue
Updating the USB drivers
Disabling and re-enabling the USB drivers
Uninstalling and reinstalling the USB drivers
Using Microsoft's "Fix It" tool
Restarting the machine (sometimes it helps briefly, but the results don't last)

If anyone has other suggestions, I'd love to hear them! Even if I could just get the mouse working again, I'd be thrilled. I should also mention the CD drive doesn't work (the laptop was dropped 3 or 4 years ago and now it's jammed shut - oops), so I can't try anything that involves using it. Thanks!

Edited by mlb275, 28 June 2012 - 10:21 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users