Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Extreme Processor Usage and Random Crashes

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nerdboy64

nerdboy64

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:50 PM

For more than a week now, my computer has been, for lack of a better term, a gargantuan piece of bleep. All programs seem to require more processing power than before,* and multiple times it has crashed while playing Mass Effect 2. I doubt the latter problem is with the game specifically, but so far that is the only time it has happened. It started on a day when I did several updates to various programs as well as Windows itself. I also changed some setting with Windows Backup and removed a leftover driver from my previous graphics card (I haven't used that card since Christmas 2011, but I never bothered to remove the driver until now). At first I thought the problem was with Windows, but since it's started crashing I'm stating to think there's more to it. If anyone knows how to fix this, please let me know.

Computer specs:
  • CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 260
  • Current GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX560ti
  • Previous GPU: ATI Radeon HD 4650
  • RAM: 4Gb
  • Motherboard: ASUS M4A785-M

I've tried reinstalling my current graphics drivers as well as the motherboard chipset driver. I've run CCleaner with the hopes of removing leftover bits of the ATI driver. I've checked the Event Viewer, and it consistently shows "The AODDriver4.01 service failed to start due to the following error: The system cannot find the path specified." every time it starts up. Task manager shows no abnormal software running in the background, but rather everything takes more power than before (or perhaps the system has less power to offer; I'm really not sure).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,555 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 28 June 2012 - 12:31 PM

<<...and multiple times it has crashed while playing Mass Effect 2. I doubt the latter problem is with the game specifically, but so far that is the only time it has happened.>>

???

Please download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
List last 10 Event Viewer log
List Installed Programs
List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 .

Louis

#3 nerdboy64

nerdboy64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2012 - 12:44 PM

MiniToolBox Results:
Spoiler

Speccy Snapshot:
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/Fxq3RmuQSyQBgNsemblAVty

EDIT: I may have found the problem,. Speccy was telling me my CPU was at 98C degrees, which the internet tells me is out of the recommended range for my CPU. The problems related to overheating (random crashes and general slowness when running programs and games) seem to match up exactly with the ones I'm having. A professional verdict would still be nice, but until then I will be looking at some ways to fix overheating.

Edited by nerdboy64, 28 June 2012 - 12:54 PM.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:36 PM

Hi, Have you looked inside the computer case?

Common causes of overheating:

1. Clogged heat sink for the CPU
2. Defective CPU fan that runs slow or not at all.
3. Defective case fans
4. Running the computer in an enclosed space.
5. Similar, running the computer without enough room around it.
6. The room the computer is in is now hot due to summer or summer heat wave. Also known as no Air conditioning.

You can also install the ASUS PC Probe software to monitor temperatures. Since they made the motherboard their software should be accurate.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 nerdboy64

nerdboy64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2012 - 09:17 AM

The problem was even simpler then that. The knobbly plastic square piece that holds the CPU fan and heatsink in place had chipped, causing the fan to fall off. So, I found the bit that chipped off, super-glued it back on, and now the processor works fine.

Unfortunately, now the GPU isn't working. Even though I didn't touch it in the process of fixing the last problem, it has been automatically disabled by the system. Device manager says "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)" but it won't tell me what kind of problems. Any help is, once again, much appreciated.

EDIT: Never mind; I just had to reinstall the drivers.

Edited by nerdboy64, 29 June 2012 - 10:55 AM.

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:41 AM

I see you found number 7 for overheating causes.

Way to go on the video card, Not sure why you needed to do that however....... :thumbsup:

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users