Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bsod after editing registry

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 AmazingTrans

AmazingTrans

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:16 PM

Hi guru,

Today I had a problem with my work laptop error not enough server storage is available to process this command. So I found a windows solution that say edit the registry and add HKEY _Local_machine\currentcontrolset\Services \Lanmanserver \parameters.. IRPSTACKSIZE -16.

AFTER I did that and restarted my laptop, now I get bsod and I tried all modes nothing goes into window.

I am stuck,this is work laptop and I can't get it to work. Any ideas what can I do?
The bsod says STOP :0X0000007B,(0XF78AA524,0X00000034,0X000000,0X000000)

I have hirencd.

Hope to hear from someone.

Thanks!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:18 AM

So I found a windows solution that say edit the registry and add HKEY _Local_machine\currentcontrolset\Services \Lanmanserver \parameters.. IRPSTACKSIZE -16

Hi -
Can you link that page back here so that we can read the exact instructions given.
This may, in some way, help us to figure this out -

Thank You -

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,586 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:08 AM

When the system first boots tap the F8 key to get to the Advanced boot menu. From there, try "Last Known Good Configuration". If that doesn't work, boot to safe mode and try to undo the registry change. Last, if the problem still persists you can do a repair install (if you need instructions just say so and I'll post them).

#4 AmazingTrans

AmazingTrans
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:14 PM

Alan,
I tried them all even repair install and it still does not work.

Any more ideas?

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,586 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:21 PM

Okay, it could be a coincidence I guess. Do you boot to the hd or a network? If the former, let's check your hd:

Hard Drive Diagnostics:
Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287 (or http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=28744&hl=hard+drive+diagnostic)
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), to make the CD bootable.
For Toshiba hard drives, see here: http://sdd.toshiba.com/main.aspx?Path=ServicesSupport/FujitsuDrivesUSandCanada/SoftwareUtilities#diagnostic

Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD follow the steps HERE

Edited by Allan, 28 June 2012 - 04:07 PM.

#6 AmazingTrans

AmazingTrans
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2012 - 06:44 PM

Noknojon,
Here is the link.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/106167

I tried chkdsk /p then /r. Still could not boot.and I tried repair windows.still not working.anybody?

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:25 PM

Hi -
Is there a backup of any type made prior to this registry edit ? This is why the full screed reads as below -

Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully.
For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs.
To resolve this issue, increase the value of the IRPStackSize registry entry. To do this, follow these steps:

1.Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
2.Locate and then click the following registry subkey:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters
If the IRPStackSize entry is not present in this subkey, follow these steps:
•Click Edit, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
•Type IRPStackSize, and then press ENTER.

Note Type IRPStackSize exactly as it appears. The value name is case sensitive. (Not - IRPSTACKSIZE -16)
3.Click IRPStackSize, click Edit, and then click Modify.
4.In the Data Value box, type a larger value, and then click OK.

Note Values may range from 0x1 to 0xC. These values are equivalent to 1 to 12 in decimal notation.
If the problem persists after you complete the previous procedure, increase the value of IRPStackSize more.

This relates to the post by Allan at Post #3 as to a back up -

#8 AmazingTrans

AmazingTrans
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:28 PM

Unfortunately, I did not back it up. Did not know such bad thing occurred. I tried using Minixp from Hiren bootcd, and edit those parameters to 1, 2, 4, 6, and the windows still boot to BSOD and restart right away. I could not see what the BSOD messages was because it reboots too quickly. I had to use my phone camcorder to record the whole thing and pause on the blue screen.

Any more ideas anybody?

#9 AmazingTrans

AmazingTrans
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:30 PM

Alan,

I doubt i have any hdd problem. It was all working until i changed the registry mentioned above. And now I am stuck with a bsod.

#10 AmazingTrans

AmazingTrans
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:12 PM

I tried this link
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q307545

Only step 1, and I am able to go back to windows, but everything is back to default without all my users and etc. Now, i believe i have a corrupted registry and not sure which one causes it.

Is it SAM, SECURITY, SOFTWARE, DEFAULT, OR SYSTEM.
I believe it is under system that is corrupted because that is the only thing I have changed since.
Does anybody know any program that can help me repair the registry or know how to review it?

Thanks.

#11 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:43 PM

I tried this link
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q307545

Only step 1, and I am able to go back to windows, but everything is back to default without all my users and etc.

That is correct and normal!

Are you able to complete the remaining steps in the instructions? That should return the system to how it was before the problem arose.

=====================
Edit to add: An ALTERNATIVE method to achieve the same end result of a registry hive replacement using a LIVE CD.

Try using a LIVE CD to perform an off-line system restore of the registry hives.

Using a working computer:
There are many options to use for a LIVE CD: Try Puppy Linux (download file size 128 MB)
When you have downloaded the ISO image, burn it to a CD using ImgBurn (choose "Write image file to disc"). The CD will be bootable.

Now to work on your problematic computer:
Boot from the Puppy Linux CD. You will be able to navigate to all the files on your HDD.

Off-line system restore using a LIVE CD

:step1: Navigate to C:\System Volume Information\
Inside that folder you will see a folder with a name beginning with "restore" followed by a long alpa-numeric code in brackets. Inside the "restore<bracketed long alpa-numeric code>" folder you will see a number of folders named "RP<3 digit number>". Choose the highest number: That is your most recent System Restore point.
Open the "RP<highest number>" folder and inside that you will see another folder called "snapshot". Finally, open the "snapshot" folder and you will be at this address ...
C:\System Volume Information\restore<bracketed long alpha-numeric code>\RP<highest number>\snapshot

Locate the 5 files that you need to copy from within the snapshot folder:

_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SYSTEM
_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SOFTWARE
_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SECURITY
_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SAM
_REGISTRY_USER_.DEFAULT

Copy these 5 files from here, and paste into the "config" folder at following location ...
C:\Windows\System32\config <<< folder

:step2: In the "config" folder at C:\Windows\System32\config, locate the current registry hive files ...

system
software
security
sam

.... and re-name them by appending .old to the filename, so that they now look like this ....

system.old
software.old
security.old
sam.old
default.old

:step3: Still in the "config" folder at C:\Windows\System32\config
Re-name the files that you copied from the restore point:

_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SYSTEM ... rename to SYSTEM
_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SOFTWARE ... rename to SOFTWARE
_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SECURITY ... rename to SECURITY
_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SAM ...rename to SAM
_REGISTRY_USER_.DEFAULT .... rename to DEFAULT (You MUST remove the dot in front of DEFAULT)
You have now completed the system restore. Shut down the computer, removing the LIVE CD.

Does your Windows XP system start normally now?

Edited by AustrAlien, 28 June 2012 - 10:56 PM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#12 AmazingTrans

AmazingTrans
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:22 PM

Hi AustrAlien,

Glad you responded, I was able to go to step 2 but under my C:\System Volume Information\ i do not have the oldest system restore as my laptop was not setup for system restore previously.
Very unfortunately. I copied SYSTEM registry from "windows\repair", the windows work but i have a pop up box when i login windows saying "prevents Windows from checking the license : Error 0x80090019."
Then i copied back my old system file back, the BSOD start occurring again. I am attaching my old System registry file here.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/f52yj2spknttvcz/system.bak

I noticed that under Original System (The one that casue BSOD) --> it is missing CurrentControlSet and I only have ControlSet001, ControlSet002, ControlSet003, LastKnownGoodRecovery.

Should I delete LastKnownGoodrecovery, And create a new CurrentControlSet from the system repair registry?

Hope somebody can review this file I have. I have HirenBootCD and I am able to boot to a miniWindowsXP.

Thanks!!!

#13 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2012 - 12:11 AM

I have HirenBootCD and I am able to boot to a miniWindowsXP.

Please be aware of the following:
Hiren's Boot CD is deemed by BleepingComputer.com management to be illegal due to copyright infringements (illegally distributed Microsoft files as well as a few questionable/illegal applications). Recommendation to use it or instruction on its use is not allowed on the BC forums.

As you can see, there are certain limitations which we need to work within.

You wrote: "Should I delete LastKnownGoodrecovery, And create a new CurrentControlSet from the system repair registry?"
Definitely NOT! Please do not contemplate doing anything like that. CurrentControlSet is created each time Windows is started from the prescribed ControlSet00x and no longer exists once Windows is shut down again.

Not having had Windows System Restore running before this issue and no restore points to use now does make things much more difficult under the circumstances.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#14 AmazingTrans

AmazingTrans
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:52 AM

Austalien,

Understood. Didn't know hiren was illegal. I'll stop using that and use Linux u suggest. So what can I work now?

#15 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:58 AM

No worries!

I have been otherwise busy and have not had a chance yet to consider what we might do next. Give me some time to have a think about it.

Do you have an XP installation CD of some sort (genuine retail, not OEM) available for us to use?
AustrAlien

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users