Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows loading times reversed

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Farstanley

Farstanley

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:58 PM

I recently built a new rig

AMD FX6100 cpu
ASUS M5A88-M board
8 GB Ram
500GB Western Digital HD

and it seemed that windows was loading too slowly so I timed it at 2 Min 10 Sec from hitting the button to Windows being ready to use. Then I timed this machine

HP Pavillion p6685l
I5 760 Quad cpu
MSI 1996 board ( customised and installed by HP )
12 GB Ram
1 TB Hitachi HD

And it only took 1 Min 34 Sec. Still curious I timed the machine I regularly use

Dell Inspiron 530
E4600 Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz
Foxconn G33 board ( ordered and installed by Dell )
4GB Ram
500GB Western Digital HD

And surprise! It took 1 min 2 Sec

Seems backward to me. They all use the same version of windows and all have pretty much the same selection of software and start up options with gadgets and widgets. This doesn't even back up the hype about Intel cpus being better and faster than AMD unless we take the i5 out of the equation and try to believe that a five year old Core 2 Duo at 2.4 GHz can out perform one of AMD's latest and greatest the six core 3.3GHz FX6100.
For the technically minded the Core 2 Duo data controller uses IDE but the other two use AHCI which only compounds the mystery.
Any ideas? Anybody know of any software that could monitor windows as it loads and report back?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:38 AM

Yes its called Windows7 it has a diagnostic that will tell you if it thinks it is running too slow or starting too slow or if you have an issue with a driver. Just open Action center and then click on view performance information then click on Advanced Tools from there you can check the performance of your entire system. Are you timing the start up after your password to eliminate the different motherboards or right after you push the power button? There will always be differences between machines ,start up programs can make a big difference, motherboard configurations, operating systems, hardware etc.
With my W7/64bit/i7-920-2.67GHz/OCZssd-It takes 10sec. to open Firefox after my password. While my W7/32bit/Pentium4-3GHz/WD spinner-Takes 2.15 mins.to open Firefox after my password, mostly because of my start-up programs.

Edited by sleepwalker, 28 June 2012 - 01:45 PM.

#3 Farstanley

Farstanley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 29 June 2012 - 12:01 AM

Thanks for the tip. I should have known there was something like that included and I tried it out and it told me my new build was an excellent machine, which it isn't because it's the slowest to load. This morning I found
Administrative Tools > Event Viewer > Windows Logs > System Logs
and got a nano by nano second listing of everything that happened during boot up and the reasons why it takes so long to load are
The Plug And Play Service
The AVGIDSAGENT Service
taking something like 18 and 24 seconds respectively to load whereas my Dell loads them both in nothing flat. Now all I have to do is find out how to either speed them up or do without them.

#4 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 29 June 2012 - 08:31 PM

Glad I could point you in the right direction, good hunting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users