Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

16 Bit Ms-dos Ntvdm Error

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 XToneX

XToneX

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 04 March 2006 - 01:13 AM

Hello,
I've booted up this morning to find the following error message:
http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/7610/untitled13vt.gif
It reads: (If the link won't work.) "16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem: C:\WINDOWS\WINOSC~1.EXE The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction. CS:0dc9 IP: blah blah Choose 'Close' or 'Ignore' to terminate the application. Clicking ignore does nothing but clicking close closes it. I'm not having any problems (Slow Computer, CPU Usage, programs freezing) *knocks on wood* but this error isn't supposed to come up and it's really bugging me. I've looked in msconfig for anything funny looking but found nothing. I ran symantec antivirus can on my windows folder but still found nothing. When I manually look in my windows file there is a file named "WinOSCfg.exe" I try to delete it and it goes away however if I restart it reappears. Many people have said when they get this error it's most likely an outdated command.exe file. I've tried getting a command.exe file from a friend's computer but I'm still getting the error message. I've also seen that people just rename the file something different and it bypasses the error. Well I renamed "WinOSCfg.exe" to "WinOSCfg.old". (Don't ask why I put Old) Anyways I rebooted to find that now the error said "C:\WINDOWS\WINOS~2" instead of ~1. I've tried booting in safe mode and deleting the file there. The error doesn't pop up during a safe mode boot and I can't seem to find the problem.
The only thing I think that probably messed up my system is a program I downloaded last night. My problem was that I'm an administrator of a website hosted by a friend of mine. It's all PHP-Nuke so I usually log in as an administrator like most other sites do. Well sometimes after not signing in after a couple of weeks it seems as though my password changes. My password is generally the same except that on some I put extra things on the end such as letters/words/number/etc. Well I've gotten fed up with asking the website host (my friend) to reset my account everytime I can't sign in so I figured I'd find out if I was A.) Getting old and forgetting my password. or 2.) Some jerk was hacking my account and changing my password. Someone recommended getting some sort of password cracker. (I know you're thinking malicious malicious but my intentions were to only "crack" my admin password for my account.) I wanted to see if it was just my own mistake or if someone was actually changing my password. For instance if my password is usually something like "secret1" or something and I somehow cracked it and found it was like "jflkd23jkldjlkfjlksd' then I'd know it was hacked and I could alert the webhost. Well I'm not too familiar with the password cracker thing but I apparently installed one last night that was really popular. (I dont know why it would mess up my system if a lot of people used it.) I know many people frown upon password crackers but I needed to find out what was going on with my account. Anyways please feel free to help me out here, this has got me stumped. Thanks a lot guys.

-Tone

*I'm soooo done with password crackers*

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 XToneX

XToneX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 04 March 2006 - 05:11 PM

Nevermind. I got the problem fixed. It seemed everytime I deleted the file it would go into my recycle bin instead of entirely deleting. So I deleted it and emptied the recycle bin and the problem went away. Thanks anyways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users