Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC reboots abruptly

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Kurosaki-kun

Kurosaki-kun

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:13 PM

This is the strangest problem I've EVER heard of. First my friend has a problem with her PC rebooting. At first it only happened when she browsed the internet, so I replaced the NIC as a test, didn't work. Replaced the hard drive because it kept generating file system errors, still not fixed.

Eventually she decided to buy a new PC so I hand picked the parts and built her a brand new one. Guess what, the new computer is doing the exact same thing. When I installed the software at my place everything was fine, and when I bring the PC back to my place after experiencing problems at her place, no problems. Tried a UPS to stabilize the AC power in the house, in the off chance that was the problem, still doesn't solve the problem. She also has a laptop that works fine.

Without going into pain-staking detail, I've only come up with one consistency, the house. The first and second PC worked fine at my place, not at hers, and that's it. I haven't tried EMF to rule that out. Ideas? Comments?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 The_Outkast

The_Outkast

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:24 PM

Does it only happen when she is using it? What happens if it's not plugged in to the network?

#3 Kurosaki-kun

Kurosaki-kun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:42 PM

This PC is only turned on when she wants to use it. When it's turned on, she doesn't have to be actually "using it", it just reboots on its own, on its own schedule, whether it's plugged into the home network or not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users